Mini Donkey is pregnant by horse

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manyhorses

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have a mini donkey, that is in foal from my (small) arabian colt. Totally unplanned, I will never underestimate male hormones again..lol. My question(s) is I read that donkey's typically carry longer then a mare..That said.. what about when they are carrying a hinney? Do they carry longer, more like a donkey baby, or more like the 340 day average for a mare? Not sure when my colt really got the job done, and i'm concerned about her timing, we live in michigan, and I would fer sure like to see this baby on the ground asap, before the snow flies! But I guess that's not up to me, any suggestions for blanketing a critter this small? Thoought about a really nice dog blanket..lol. My other question is, do donkeys have more, on the average, problem births? I know they can be really elusive about foaling out, but I would really like to be there, even with my veterinarians assurance that she will determine the size of the foal, i'm concerned that she may get into trouble, and I won't be here...does any one have suggestions or comments? I'll take the good, bad and ugly, would rather be prepared then in the dark on this one. I've foaled out a lot of mares, but this will be my first donkey birthing. Are there books that I can purchase that relate directly to donkey breeding?

Thanks for any help.

WEll this is only my opinon, and I normally wouldnt do this but if the donkey were mine and I knew when she was in foal(shortly after in the early stages) I would of opted to end the pregnacy.

I dont like people crossing mini anything with anything bigger then a pony.

Donkeys do carry 12 months, sometimes 13 with 12 being the norm. Donkeys are more secretive, so I suggest getting her in a stall where you can watch her.

Have her ultrasounded to give you a approximate timeing on how far along she is.

We have had a few donkeys have minor problems but on the normal they are fine on there own. But then again I havent ever had one bred to a big horse.

Poor donkey
no.gif

We just went through our first donkey birth and the donkey foaling manual (I found it here http://store.miniaturedonkeyproducts.com/index.html ) was VERY helpful! Grace was bred to a jack and went close to 13 months! I know there are some here who have had baby mules/hinny's and hopefully can help. Is she a maiden? Obviously you are close enough to think the baby might get here before winter right? I believe it was mentioned once that dog polar fleece type blankets work well for the little ones. I can't wait to see pictures - if you want PM me I'd love to tell you about Vernon's birth.

There are many people out there that breed for a hybred specifically, and unless there was a very special health reason etc, I would never consider having the foal aborted. I have hinnys, mules, and a zedonk. All hybreds, and all have great personalities and are very kind and loving. Mine were not accidentally bred, it is quit hard to bred for a mini hinny very few mini stallions will have anything to do with a jenny. How old is your jenny? Is this her first foal? My jennies carried for 12 months when bred to my mini stud. My one jenny --this was her first--gave up after just one small push, and I ended up delivering her foal, my others have had them without any problems, but I do put them under cameras and use my equipage system with them. Your mare will determine the size of the foal, the problems usually come in (when bred to a larger animal) after the foal is born and growing, sometimes if the foal is quit large compared to the mare there could be a problem with nursing, (too tall to get under there and find it
wink.gif
) I live in northern Wisconsin, and our winters are just like yours --nasty, and cold! Do you keep your mare in the barn in winter? I managed to pull a foal thru that was born this past Jan. 5th, the coldest and stormiest day of the winter. This mare was ultrasounded to be open, and never had any bag, or any signs of birthing. I used childrens sweatshirts cut down to fit the foal, (I always do this with newborns) and kept her in very deep straw with mats on the bottom. In our area I dont breed any one for later then a July foal. Good luck with your foaling and hope to see pictures of you new little "long ears" soon. Corinne

manyhorses said:
Hi everyone,
I have a mini donkey, that is in foal from my (small) arabian colt. Totally unplanned, I will never underestimate male hormones again..lol. My question(s) is I read that donkey's typically carry longer then a mare..That said.. what about when they are carrying a hinney? Do they carry longer, more like a donkey baby, or more like the 340 day average for a mare? Not sure when my colt really got the job done, and i'm concerned about her timing, we live in michigan, and I would fer sure like to see this baby on the ground asap, before the snow flies! But I guess that's not up to me, any suggestions for blanketing a critter this small? Thoought about a really nice dog blanket..lol. My other question is, do donkeys have more, on the average, problem births? I know they can be really elusive about foaling out, but I would really like to be there, even with my veterinarians assurance that she will determine the size of the foal, i'm concerned that she may get into trouble, and I won't be here...does any one have suggestions or comments? I'll take the good, bad and ugly, would rather be prepared then in the dark on this one. I've foaled out a lot of mares, but this will be my first donkey birthing. Are there books that I can purchase that relate directly to donkey breeding?

Thanks for any help.

476424[/snapback]

Ashley said:
WEll this is only my opinon, and I normally wouldnt do this but if the donkey were mine and I knew when she was in foal(shortly after in the early stages) I would of opted to end the pregnacy.
I dont like people crossing mini anything with anything bigger then a pony.

Donkeys do carry  12 months, sometimes 13 with 12 being the norm.  Donkeys are more secretive, so I suggest getting her in a stall where you can watch her.

Have her ultrasounded to give you a approximate timeing on how far along she is.

We have had a few donkeys have minor problems but on the normal they are fine on there own. But then again I havent ever had one bred to a big horse.

Poor donkey
no.gif

476571[/snapback]

thanks for your reply... I DID ask the veterinarian about terminating the pregnancy... his reply "absolutely NOT" he felt that in doing so would probably cause Becca more problems... she is a rescue Donkey.. I rescued her from a farm where she lived the first 9 years of her life in a SMALL (10x10) Paddock... and was fed as the owner felt needed... anyway... she has been with us for about 3 years now, and is as happy as a lark... whatever that means. When I say small colt I mean he is aprox 18 months old and probably 11hh... he will be a Genetically SMALL horse...more like the arabs of old that barely topped 13h.....yes I agree, and if Becca could type so would she...poor donk. That's why I am really concerned... I DO NOT want to lose this Donkey, over MY stupid mistake.. so again I say any comments are appreciated!

Thanks

MeadowRidge Farm said:
There are many people out there that breed for a hybred specifically, and unless there was a very special health reason etc, I would never consider having the foal aborted. I have hinnys, mules, and a zedonk. All hybreds, and all have great personalities and are very kind and loving. Mine were not accidentally bred, it is quit hard to bred for a mini hinny very few mini stallions will have anything to do with a jenny. How old is your jenny? Is this her first foal? My jennies carried for 12 months when bred to my mini stud. My one jenny --this was her first--gave up after just one small push, and I ended up delivering her foal, my others have had them without any problems, but I do put them under cameras and use my equipage system with them. Your mare will determine the size of the foal, the problems usually come in  (when bred to a larger animal) after the foal is born and growing, sometimes if the foal is quit large compared to the mare there could be a problem with nursing, (too tall to get under there and find it
wink.gif
) I live in northern Wisconsin, and our winters are just like yours --nasty, and cold! Do you keep your mare in the barn in winter? I managed to pull a foal thru that was born this past Jan. 5th, the coldest and stormiest day of the winter. This mare was ultrasounded to be open, and never had any bag, or any signs of birthing. I used childrens sweatshirts cut down to fit the foal, (I always do this with newborns) and kept her in very deep straw with mats on the bottom. In our area I dont breed any one for later then a July foal. Good luck with your foaling and hope to see pictures of you new little "long ears" soon.    Corinne
476648[/snapback]

Thanks for taking the time to answer me...My vet said no to terminating the pregnancy...my first thought when I figured out she was pregnant...he thought more bad then good, and he DID say that she will determine the size of the foal at Birth... he went on to add that MSU has done studies in breeding a shetland mare to a shire stallion (AI of course)...with no adverse problems other than as you say...being to big to nurse..lol! Yes she is a maiden, and she is approx 13 years old, had I been TRYING to get her pregnant I probably would not have had ANY luck...nor baby..lol. Becca really is a sweethart...so I was surprised to learn they are more evasive then "mares" is this true??? all my "mares" seem to wait until i am present before foaling...like they WANT me there...just in case? I have planned to have the truck n trailer hooked and ready to zoom to MSU at the first sign of trouble... but again I am concerned are they really THAT sneaky?? or is just a lack of "seeing" the signs?

I read about sweat shirts, and thought that would be best...till I'm sure how big the baby is, and Yes I do have access to a barn. Her stall is prepared...cleaned thoughly, rebedded deeply with straw...but she HATES It...(see below.)

I am Really, Really hoping that the baby gets here before the winter really hits.... but being unsure of the actual breeding date...there are no guarantees...she "looks" as though she is shaping up...belly large, with movement ie...dropping slightly, mammory gland enlargement, muscles relaxing...etc... just not sure if the little guy got her in december of last year, or february of this year...he is such a little brat...but he comes from a long line of "workin Arabs"... he is Reealllllyyy nice, and a great personallity to boot! Not at all studdish, although he does like the ladies
rolleyes.gif

I did try to put Becca in a stall... however she constantly ran her chest into it, and demanded I put her out with her herd...a shetland, a mini, the colt (cuz what's the point in separation now???) and the llama's. I'm not concerned if she has a "normal" foaling with her group, as they are all respectful...my llama's would probably stand guard for her...however I AM really concerned IF there is a problem.

Thanks for your insight, and if all goes well, I'll be sure and post a pic of the first (?) donkey/arab cross...here's to hoppin it's healthy first, and very cute second.
sad.gif

jdomep said:
We just went through our first donkey birth and the donkey foaling manual (I found it here http://store.miniaturedonkeyproducts.com/index.html ) was VERY helpful!  Grace was bred to a jack and went close to 13 months!  I know there are some here who have had baby mules/hinny's and hopefully can help.  Is she a maiden?  Obviously you are close enough to think the baby might get here before winter right? I believe it was mentioned once that dog polar fleece type blankets work well for the little ones.  I can't wait to see pictures - if you want PM me I'd love to tell you about Vernon's birth.
476643[/snapback]

Thanks for your input! Looked up the donkey foaling manual...will get that on it's way ASAP! I am surely hoping that the baby is here before we get too cold. Thinking she's going to do the 12 month thing...which if I'm correct is going to put her near the end of october 1st of november...never saw the colt and her together...just noticed a DRAMATIC change in her personality about Feb., of this year.....went from sweet push around, to I'M GOING TO EAT THIS, and YOU will Get out of my WAY!!..lol, had her palpated in June, but the uterous was already over the pelvic rim, so Dr. thought ultrasound was a waste...could give me approx.. but could tell me that without the $100.00 cost. (Love my Vet
smile.gif
) I know several race horse owners in the area that "assure" me that it's going to be okay, they have babies in January "all the time" that's all fine for them. I normally (when I PLAN it, breed for warm weather babies) I prefer mother natures rules...warm, minimum bugs..lol...but alas i guess the baby will get here when it get's here..lol. I would love to hear about Vernon's birth...not sure what PM is?? Private Message?? i'm new to all this..lol...let me know what you need from me to tell about Vernon? Thanks!

I would not personally allow a colt that young to be present at a birth- he does not have the instincts necessary to tell him not to paw and scrape at the mare and the foal when birth is happening, he is a baby himself, even if he is the Papa!! He is going to have to be taken out anyway or you are going to be on a loop tape here
smile.gif
so you may as well get it over and done with. He will also breed anything else that is female- this is not good horse sense- it is time for your chap to grow up- separate or geld, the choice is yours!!

have hinnys, mules, and a zedonk. All hybreds, and all have great personalities and are very kind and loving
MOst normal people, when breeding for zedonks use standered jennies as the zebras are not small themselves. The grant zebra is the smallest. IT is either them or the Chapmans that are normallyused for this. While the Grants are short by that standered, they are very beefy and not at all a refine animal.

The thought of breeding a mini to a zebra just kills me just due to the sheer mass of a zebra stallion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ashley said:
have hinnys, mules, and a zedonk. All hybreds, and all have great personalities and are very kind and loving
MOst normal people, when breeding for zedonks use standered jennies as the zebras are not small themselves. The grant zebra is the smallest. IT is either them or the Chapmans that are normallyused for this. While the Grants are short by that standered, they are very beefy and not at all a refine animal.

The thought of breeding a mini to a zebra just kills me just due to the sheer mass of a zebra stallion.

476891[/snapback]

I have used kids sweathsirts for cold weather baby Minis.I also love the fleece fabric you get at WalMart in lots of colors&patterns.You can cut it to fit the baby and use duct tape to hold it on.It doesn't fray or come apart and is very warm.I would suggest getting a few different options ready just in case.My Mini foal born in late Nov 1 year was much more hairy than my spring foals.Guess Mother Nature takes care of them. Good luck&let us know when your baby arrives.

rabbitsfizz said:
I would not personally allow a colt that young to be present at a birth- he does not have the instincts necessary to tell him not to paw and scrape at the mare and the foal when birth is happening, he is a baby himself, even if he is the Papa!! He is going to have to be taken out anyway or you are going to be on a loop tape here
smile.gif
so you may as well get it over and done with. He will also breed anything else that is female- this is not good horse sense- it is time for your chap to grow up- separate or geld, the choice is yours!!

476837[/snapback]

Ummmm.. Guess I should take the time to explain EXACTLY what I MEANT. I realize the risks in the colt to be present at the birth (I'm not a total nitwit), Nor will he be running with her once she has a baby on the ground. I have no intention of her becoming pregnant again, without my blessing, and trust me, if I DO, IT will NOT be with the Arab colt.

I work from home, and short of the occasional run to the store, visit my parents, etc.. I am here 24/7, and as her time draws near, even the short run to the store will cease, and my checks on her will dramatically increase. MY intention is to remove the colt from the paddock that Becca occupies BEFORE she foals. That said, and although I am watching her Very closely there IS the possibilty that she MAY foal with me unaware, of her being that close...ie some mares shape up to foal in less then 2 hours, it can and does happen to even the most experienced "Horse Person". IF that were to happen, hopefully I would catch her and the baby before it is "too Late". At the moment she does not go more then an hour without me at least checking for her location in the pasture. When I stated that "I have no problem with her foaling with her normal group, that did not include the Arab Colt. As he is NOT part of her "normal" group, however there is no RISK of pregnancy with him being in that group for the time being. They are currently seperated at night, (but the seperation area is verrry small, 20 x 30) hence, during the day they are all out on their pasture together. AT the moment we have a shortage of pasture/paddock areas...As we have had a couple of UNPLANNED large horses (yes, they do happen, specially when you have people around, that just don't care about THIER responsibity to an animal, we take em in as we can, and try to find good homes for them.) The paddock that is for the Arab colt , is occupied by an uplanned 15 year old arab, that has NO social skills, (Stallion kept in solitude for 8-9 years, then gelded) IE He is not GOOD with other horses, Hence I CANNOT put HIM in any other pasture/paddock space at the moment. (Believe me, I have tried to move these critters around so that the Donk would be safe) had I known this prior to his being dumped here, I probably would not have taken him in, being that we are short on available areas. I cannot put the Arab colt in the other large pasture, as this has 4 mares in it. As a beliver that they should be out 24/7 weather ( I do bring them in if the weather is really nasty, even though most have run in's available) and (circumstance) permitting (just in case someone thinks I'm naive enough to leave a mare and foal 24/7 out during the winter..
smile.gif
) I JUST do not have the room. THAT does not mean that any horse takes precedence over the donkey, I just do NOT feel that she is THAT close. I have "feelers" out in our community to place this grey ASAP. However, IF I cannot place him before Becca's foal arrives, He and the colt will have to take turns in the paddock and be stalled the rest of the time. I have Tried to seperate the Donkey from the other pasture mates...but that upsets her to no end, so at the present time they are all still together.

Lastly, I do not subscribe to the practice of keeping a stud (yes, it is my intention to keep him whole, as he was purchased to breed to my thoroughbred mares) in solitare confinement, he will continue to be turned out with the other geldings/barren mares, suitable enough to keep him in "line".

thanks for your opinion.

Thanks for the ideas...just duct tape it on??
laugh.gif
wish my grampa were still around, he WAS the duct tape king..lol. Poor baby probably would have more duct tape then fleece. So you just what...cut it too fit then use the duct tape over the fleece in the areas around the neck and belly? I looked at some foal blankets on the puter..but I just hate buying something I cannot touch and see in person! I will go out and get some fleece pieces, and perhaps a dogs coat tommorrow...you are right I should have at least something for starters! I thought about the sweatshirt thing, we used the arms of those for goat blankies...they were right dapper in their "turtle neck sleeves" ..lol.. I will be sure to keep you all posted on the baby!

Ashley, my zedonk is 9 months old and stands 37". the jenny was a small standard. Have you done any research into zedonk breeding?? You will see that there are quit a few small zebras (under 50") which are now being breed to ponies and large B size minis. Anyone with common sense would kow that you wouldnt breed a large boned massive zebra with a under 34" horse/jenny!! There is also shipped semen you can now buy for breeding zedonks. BUTTT----your mares do have to be approved by a vet beforehand. Also, with some B size mares which are bred to a Grants, the mares do have to have a C-section , which is very costly. I got mine when he was 5 months old, and I would NEVER think of breeding any of my minis to a zebra, BUT like I said --it is being done very successfully, and you will always have people out there trying to breed for for "novelity of trying something different". Zedonks are not for everyone, when I got mine he was next to impossible to handle, very wild, but it didnt take me long at all and he was gentled and follows me around like a puppy dog, once he gained trust in me his training went easy, he probably was a exception to the rule. But since then, I have talked to other zedonk owners and they have told me the same. Corinne

Yep actually have. WE used to have a zebra stallion that bred jennies. WE have also have zehorses. But now we breed strickly zebra to zebra.

We might get a zedonk baby next year thou.

If you have ever seen a zebra stallion, even thou they are short they are very built.

I do know people breed zebra stallions to mini mares I personally would like to pound them. But that is just me. A full blooded zebra baby isnt no small thing when they are born themselves.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jeeeezzz I started this post to ask ADVICE, not opinions there is a difference. ... I don't think anyone on here breeds anything without thinking of the risks to the mare or the foal, some people have a higher tolerance to risk, that said BREEDING any mare is some small RISK, regardless of size, type, etc....( I would never intentioanlly breed anything as small as a mini donkey to a full size horse...THIS one was a MISTAKE)

I still do not have one question awswered...DO donk jennets seem, as a whole, to be more elusive about the actual foaling time, then horse mares?? or do most show signs much as a mare does?? She is a maiden jennet and older..13 or so. I had read on one Donk website that they are elusive and get very overprotective of their babies.. So I was just looking for "input experience" from people who have bred donkeys.. and foaled them out.

YEs

And a donkey bag is different then a horse. THey get what I call a cow bag. Do you have any pics of her and of her bag?

manyhorses, I would probably say that yes, my jennies are more elusive then my mares. But I usually put mine in a stall and have the camera and equipage on them, when they are about due. I waited for one (who was bred for a hinny) and waited and waited. She showed no signs at all, so I put her out to get a little excersive..and wouldnt you know it, within 1/2 hour we had a babyout in the pasture! I would say there bag gets alot more noticeable then a mini horse. I also have one jenny who is very protective of her baby and wont let anyone near "BABY" except me, others are very good about it. I really think it all depends upon the individual jenny. Ashley, YUP---I agree with you , I dont like the thought of breeding a mini to a zebra either! Yes, we have friends here in Wisconsin that have zebras, Corinne

I have thought about getting a camera...has the cost come down any on these? I saw a camera set up for approx $200.00...but was unsure of the quality.. Do you find the equipage to be reliable? Thanks for sharing your experiences....they help a lot... I'm just a nervous wreck here....waiting!
new_shocked.gif

I won't worry about the quality of those at that price at all...Anything that is 3 or more Mega Pixels would be just fine...That one say 2 or 3 years ago would have been 400 to 500 dollars...So these now that are 200 or so are just fine and dandy.

manyhorses said:
I have thought about getting a camera...has the cost come down any on these? I saw a camera set up for approx $200.00...but was unsure of the quality.. Do you find the equipage to be reliable? Thanks for sharing your experiences....they help a lot... I'm just a nervous wreck here....waiting!
new_shocked.gif

477565[/snapback]

Latest posts

Back