Mini Donkey is pregnant by horse

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Keri, settle down!!
smile.gif
cheekkiss.gif
You would be AMAZED at what people will do!! And we have no way of knowing how much experience or not, you have. Supposing I had not included that "idiots guide" and you had come back a few weeks down the line saying "Gee thanks guys, the Jenny foaled but the colt killed the foal accidentally, so I left her out with her group and now he's got her again??" How do you think I would have felt?? Oh and there are differing opinions re entires- I bred Arabs for twenty years and I NEVER "ran" a stallion- far too much risk to the stallion. My horses were all ridden regularly and had turnout paddocks, but they never "ran" with the mares. My Minis don't, either. I totally agree they should have as natural a life as possible but, since nothing about the life of a domestic horse is natural anyway, I tend to try for the best possible life for each individual. My younger stallion is out pacing the fence line at this moment because he thinks he has seen a mare he wants in his field (he has two in with him) My older stallion (26 this year) is in his paddock, fat and furry and alone, which is as he wants it- he will attack anything put in with him, even an in season mare. The younger one does not cover loose- he will not cover loose- sometimes even the best laid plans of mice and minis gang awa'!!!!!

Oh and the cameras- didn't someone say Radio Shack had them for $40.00?????

Last edited by a moderator:
Meadow Ridge, Can I ask who they are? Im curious if they are the same people we know.

rabbitsfizz said:
Keri, settle down!!
smile.gif

cheekkiss.gif
You would be AMAZED at what people will do!!  And we have no way of knowing how much experience or not, you have.  Supposing I had not included that "idiots guide" and you had come back a few weeks down the line saying "Gee thanks guys, the Jenny foaled but the colt killed the foal accidentally, so I left her out with her group and now he's got her again??" How do you think I would have felt??  Oh and there are differing opinions re entires- I bred Arabs for twenty years and I NEVER "ran" a stallion- far too much risk to the stallion.  My horses were all ridden regularly and had turnout paddocks, but they never "ran" with the mares.  My Minis don't, either.  I totally agree they should have as natural a life as possible but, since nothing about the life of a domestic horse is natural anyway, I tend to try for the best possible life for each individual.  My younger stallion is out pacing the fence line at this moment because he thinks he has seen a mare he wants in his field (he has two in with him) My older stallion (26 this year) is in his paddock, fat and furry and alone, which is as he wants it- he will attack anything put in with him, even an in season mare.  The younger one does not cover loose- he will not cover loose- sometimes even the best laid plans of mice and minis gang awa'!!!!!
Oh and the cameras- didn't someone say Radio Shack had them for $40.00?????

477599[/snapback]

Sorry....
new_shocked.gif
Just thought it was getting a little out of hand, and PLUS I'm just thin skinned at the moment...not enough sleep
wacko.gif
Thanks for the advice on the colt, I shouldn't have been so jumpy! Thanks, too for your concern.. AND the sheer fact that I let this happen in the first place.. well I guess you get the picture..and I'm well aware of stupid things people do...have a group across the street from me that give a whole new meaning to "stupid people shouldn't breed"
no.gif

This colt just cracks me up at times, he is like friggin houdini...got up the other morning and there he was with the "big" herd of horses, 4 mares and two other geldings, I dropped to my knees and thanked god he wasn't hurt, or dead. Still have no idea how he got in there...So in the end if he can't keep his butt in his own pasture I may have to geld him...Trying to wait out the neighbor's. They are moving, but I ticked off her younger daughter, and since then I've had horses loose at various times, I wouldn't put it past her to do something like that for grins n giggles... the people have NO SENCE. Example.. over the summer her one mare and filly were running loose..yes LOOSE, no fence, no nothing, the filly ran for the road as I was coming down it, 55 is the speed limit here..when I stopped and let her know, she shrugged her shoulders and said "they're my horses??" She intentionally LET them run loose...her stallions loose ALL the time
no.gif
resorted to paddlocking everyone in...which admitidly is a royal pain in the "arse". So I will see if I still have the "problem" when they leave.
sad.gif
Thanks I'll check out the Radio Shack one as well!!!
biggrin.gif

I paid about $250.00 for my camera, I have the wireless set-up, and it works great. It has to go between a thick concrete block wall (barn) thru the outside wall of our house, and thru 2 interior walls. Mine is the leapfrog Wavemaster 20, 2.4ghz's, it has super clarity and sound. I have a "chaeper"one in our run-in, which is day/night also and wireless, and I paid around $150.00 for that one, (dont know the brand off hand on that one) but it doesnt begin to compare to my leapfrog one.YEs, I do find my equipage system to be reliable, but I do have to remember to check the batteries...lol... When I bought mine I told myself even if it saves the life of one foal it would be worth its price! I now have 2 equipage systems, ( friend went out of hackneys and sold me her system also) Jane, the one I mentioned above for $150.00 is from Radio Shack, and AMEN to ever thing you have said in your post. I dont let ANY of my stallions run with my mares either. I also have and had Arabians and Saddlebreds for the past 40 years. Never left our studs run with the mares each had there daily excercise thru riding and there own runs. Ashley, one lives in Cedarburg,(Bill) and the other lives in the Manitowoc area, (Terry) There is also one in the Rhinelander area, and was one in the Wausaukee area who had them. Sorry, dont know anyone on your side of the state. Corinne

Nope dont know any of them but my aunt might. She sells the foals to alot of people that side of the state, and a wide variety of other states. My aunt is the only one this side of the state that I know that raises them.

Ashley, I think Bill and Terry both buy there animals from Lolli Bros in Mo. I will ask them if they know your Aunt and let them know she sells foals. Corinne

Ashley said:
YEs

And a donkey bag is different then a horse.  THey get what I call a cow bag.  Do you have any pics of her and of her bag?

477473[/snapback]

Hi Ashley,

a cow bag?? not sure I know exactly what that looks like...I did take some pictures of her...but I cant fiqure out how to get them on this site...I will go look at the help, and see if I can figure it out...thanks for the info

Keri

okay all of ya!!
aktion033.gif
Someone asked me earlier how tall Beeca is... had never really thought about measuring her. She's a pet here on the farm. Rescued from a horrible person, and I payed WAYYY to much for, and NEVER got her papers, but her and the other "mini" I got from the farm are healthy & happy. You should have seen her run in her pasture when she got here, she had been kept in a 10 x20 area with two mini horses, since she was purchased as a weanling...Anyway, I'm really off the subject of this email...

I measured her today....approx 37", maybe 38" she was highly suspicious of the tape measure..
new_shocked.gif
does she still qualify as a mini donk???
ohmy.gif
Do they have "size classes" for them like they do mini horses?? I never thought about how small some mini's REALLY are!! Have seen a few..but not right up close and personel to mine...
laugh.gif
Victor is a bit smaller then she is, I'm guessing he would be a class B...they are bigger correct?? See I JUST do not know much about these critters...got a book, but all I was concerned about was making sure I was feeding/caring for them properly!!

thanks in advance fer your input!

You know what- It must be a case of "It could not be done but the fool did not know it so he went ahead and did it anyway"
laugh.gif
(The fool being the colt) I tried for two full seasons to get my standard donkey mares covered by both a Pony stallion and and Arab and they were having NONE of it. The Arab was very, VERY polite, but Oh, NO not them- they threw up their petticoats and had a real full blown hissy fit!! So, no foals for them- one went to a retirement home my local eccentric was running (Very well, she was /is rich!!) and the other went to a petting farm, where she is still ruling the roost and where they went out and bought her another Donk as a friend as she was lonely!!

Morning,

And good day to you all! Could not figure out how to get photos
wacko.gif
on here but I was able to up load some on yahoo

here is the page for photo's check em out!

http://photos.yahoo.com/badcompany1433

Bad Company is the colt's registered name...fitting eh?? lol See he is REALLY small for 18 month's. Both his mom & dad were slender & smaller arabs, so he should (yeah right..lol) follow suit.

Ashley, If you can get to them let me know what you think of her status! I don't have a picture of her bag...think she is getting tired of me pokin around on her..lol JUST Scratch me lady!!

Going to look at surveillance camera's today..should make my life easier!

Have a great day all of you!
biggrin.gif

Life Span:

With proper lifelong care, 25-40 years

Height:

36" or under (IMDR Class A Registry), 38" or under (IMDR Class B Registry)

Weight:

200 to 450 pounds

So yes She still is called a mini But a B Mini just like the AMHR except the size starts at 36" for going into the B mini class.

manyhorses said:
okay all of ya!! 
aktion033.gif
Someone asked me earlier how tall Beeca is... had never really thought about measuring her. She's a pet here on the farm. Rescued from a horrible person, and I payed WAYYY to much for, and NEVER got her papers, but her and the other "mini" I got from the farm are healthy & happy. You should have seen her run in her pasture when she got here, she had been kept in a 10 x20 area with two mini horses, since she was purchased as a weanling...Anyway, I'm really off the subject of this email...I measured her today....approx 37", maybe 38" she was highly suspicious of the tape measure..
new_shocked.gif
does she still qualify as a mini donk??? 
ohmy.gif
Do they have "size classes" for them like they do mini horses?? I never thought about how small some mini's REALLY are!! Have seen a few..but not right up close and personel to mine...
laugh.gif
Victor is a bit smaller then she is, I'm guessing he would be a class B...they are bigger correct?? See I JUST do not know much about these critters...got a book, but all I was concerned about was making sure I was feeding/caring for them properly!!

thanks in advance fer your input!

477870[/snapback]

shminifancier said:
Life Span:With proper lifelong care, 25-40 years

Height:

36" or under (IMDR Class A Registry), 38" or under (IMDR Class B Registry)

Weight:

200 to 450 pounds

So yes She still is called a mini  But a    B  Mini just like the AMHR  except the size  starts at 36" for going into the B mini class.

477951[/snapback]

I did not know that there were A & B donks too - I just love learning here!

Somehow my herds timing was off this year and I ended up with 3 babies born in March. In Nebraska that means some nights are still below freezing and some days don't go over by much. We are also known for our wonderfull sleet storms during this time of year. NOT what I had in mind for these babies. I used my daughters sweatshirts. They wear size mostly size 7-8 in the little girls department, but I think the next size up would have worked well too. These were on little A sized foals. Unfortunately, the wind would bite right through the fleece so then I did the same trick with some old windbreakers and put them over the top of the sweatshirts and it worked really well. It worked best to put the zippers up the back of the baby. They looked hilarious! but at least they were warm. My husband thinks they are going to need therapy later in life to get over the emotional scarring they received from looking so ridiculous. lol Best wishes, you will do just fine, and so will she! How could she not with an owner that cares as much as you do!
yes.gif
Linda

Well if she is indeed preggers, which she does not look like it to me. She would foal till next year. In the butt shot of her you cant see a bag at all. They get huge bags, and you defenatly would see it looking at her.

DSC0007.jpg

This is a picture of Grace's (very small) bag 4 weeks before delivery and she didn't get a noticable bag until 1 week prior to delivery and since your vet confirmed I think she may be like our Gracie and not show until almost time
smile.gif

pepperhill said:
Somehow my herds timing was off this year and I ended up with 3 babies born in March.  In Nebraska that means some nights are still below freezing and some days don't go over by much.  We are also known for our wonderfull sleet storms during this time of year.  NOT what I had in mind for these babies.  I used my daughters sweatshirts.  They wear size mostly size 7-8 in the little girls department, but I think the next size up would have worked well too.  These were on little A sized foals.  Unfortunately, the wind would bite right through the fleece so then I did the same trick with some old windbreakers and put them over the top of the sweatshirts and it worked really well.  It worked best to put the zippers up the back of the baby.  They looked hilarious! but at least they were warm.  My husband thinks they are going to need therapy later in life to get over the emotional scarring they received from looking so ridiculous. lol  Best wishes, you will do just fine, and so will she!  How could she not with an owner that cares as much as you do!
yes.gif
Linda
478044[/snapback]

Thank you so much! That sounds like a wonderful idea, the jackets AND the therapy!!.. Just don't think they make all that great quality of a mini foal blanket, at least not from what I've seen in local tack shops..and going over the internet..well THERE you really can't do a quality check! Hope we both wil do just fine, went out and bought a camera today (surveillance) so at least I can quit running to the barn/paddock every time I turn around..lol

jdomep said:
DSC0007.jpg
This is a picture of Grace's (very small) bag 4 weeks before delivery and she didn't get a noticable bag until 1 week prior to delivery and since your vet confirmed I think she may be like our Gracie and not show until almost time
smile.gif

478160[/snapback]

Yep...looks about like Becca's does right now, cept her mammory glands are a tich bigger...could be cuz she a bit bigger then Gracie. Yep Dr. confirmed pregnancy...plus when she is eating or drinking you can SOMETIMES see the baby move!! I Just can't WAIT!!!

I'm going to try the fleece/sweatshirt AND windbreakers! I'll send pictures so we can all get a laugh..
laugh.gif

Ashley said:
Well if she is indeed preggers, which she does not look like it to me.  She would foal till next year.  In the butt shot of her you cant see a bag at all.  They get huge bags, and you defenatly would see it looking at her.
478079[/snapback]

Ahhhh looks can be soooo deceiving can't they?? She doesn't look pregnant most of the time from the front either.. But she was being a pain about getting her pics, so not the best. Some friends of mine bought a Standardbred 3 year old mare(well claimed her) she wasn't racing very well, placing 2nd, 3rd..ya know..She RACED and came in from the race, layed down and delivered a foal! Small but healthy! AND this mare had been in to the clinic I worked at and gone over by the verterinarian, blood work, lameness work up...ultrasounds (OF THE LEGS...) NEVER would have though that mare was preggo either...by the looks! No bag no looks no signs...yet there was a foal!
laugh.gif
I think Becca has a little ways to go yet, but think she will do it yet this year. I'll be sure n post pics!

But is she checked in foal??? Donkeys carry alot different then horses to. THey dont really drop until the last min. They just get huge around. She isnt near fat enough to go this year in my opinon. My uncles donks that are that size are still very huge when preggers.

SHe looks a little chubby, but she is older and gone from thin to being fed right they can get a bit chubby. She looks like a normal donkey to me.

I do suggest if she isnt checked in foal that you do ultrasound her. That will also give you a better idea of how far along she is if she is bred.

Ashley said:
But is she checked in foal???  Donkeys carry alot different then horses to.  THey dont really drop until the last min.  They just get huge around.  She isnt near fat enough to go this year in my opinon.  My uncles donks that are that size are still very huge when preggers.
SHe looks a little chubby, but she is older and gone from thin to being fed right they can get a bit chubby. She looks like a normal donkey to me.

I do suggest if she isnt checked in foal that you do ultrasound her.  That will also give you a better idea of how far along she is if she is bred.

478504[/snapback]

Hi Ashley,

Becca was bred either sometime in November/december of last year, My Vet checked her IN foal in July of this year. AT that time HE said she was too far along to be exactly SURE how FAR along she REALLY is.... But would say to be due from October 1st till sometime end of november, that said, Unless Donk's have milk for NO reason, I believe as my vet confirmed, at 99% in FOAL..
wink.gif
I have milked her and done the test strips which are in the "red" one square to go!!! Keri

PS....adding new pics today...she has realllllyyy dropped down!
aktion033.gif

Latest posts

Back