Mini Donkey getting ready to foal

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kim Rule

Reaction score
I have my foaling bag ready. It's sitting beside my bedroom door, so that I can grab it easily. The stall is cleaned out, and Cinnamon is in there for her first night tonight. She has a decent sized run, that is attached to her own little dry lot. I am feeding her extra hay. She is getting oats, beet pulp, BOSS, flax seed, and vitamins. I wormed her yesterday with Safeguard. She's had her shots.

Her nipples are getting longer. She has not formed a bag yet. It's just kind of "saggy". She has clear, unsticky fluid in her bag. She is easy to milk. This may be because she has had other babies. Yesterday I noticed that although her belly is quite round Today you can see her hip bones quite clearly. Yesterday she was rounder than she is today.

I can push in her butt around her tail, but it isn't loose like it has been described to me before. It's just kind of a "blubber butt". Her vagina is a little pinker than her gums. No, I didn't do the ph strips tonight, Lisa!

I have many questions. I am GUESSING that her due date is about July 19th. My estimate is based on her last foal's birthday of July 9th, adding 10 days until her foal heat, and then averaging a donkey's gestation period of approximately 12 months.

1. Do you think I am close, when I tell you what I am observing?

2. At this late date, should I put her on some kind of mare and foal feed? How much? (she's about 34 inches tall)

3. Would it be safe to feed her some timothy/alfalfa pellets so that she gets a little extra protein and calcium?

4. Am I forgetting anything?

It's not that I'm nervous or anything...(yeah, right!) but I want to have all the bases covered.
ohmy.gif

Kim R

P.S. I have a show in July. We're leaving July 14th, and coming back July 17th. Does this pretty much guarentee that she will foal then?
rolleyes.gif

HI Kim, I am SURE you will have a foal between july 14 to the 17th..haha!
wink.gif
That would be my kind of luck. I thnk you have all the basis covered quit well, and it sound like soon you will have that baby!
aktion033.gif
Usually with my donkeys from the way you are describing your jenny, within 1 week my foal is there, but I also have had one the following day! Whatever you do DONT milk her,
no.gif
she needs that colostrum for the baby, and because she look quit round yesterday and hip bones showing today, that just means the baby is getting into position to be born!!
aktion033.gif
Cant wait to see pictures of "baby" . Corinne

Okay, this morning her butt was tight, her nipples were kind of sucked up...I think she was nervous about being separated from her herd. They are right next to her...she can talk to them over the fence! I turned her out with them, but hopefully she'll get used to the new routine...

What kind of mare and foal feed should I get her?

Kim R

Kim Rule said:
Okay, this morning her butt was tight, her nipples were kind of sucked up...I think she was nervous about being separated from her herd.  They are right next to her...she can talk to them over the fence!  I turned her out with them, but hopefully she'll get used to the new routine...
What kind of mare and foal feed should I get her?

Kim R

411990[/snapback]

I looked for my jennet Sarah, to foal for the past two months since I didn't know when she was bred. Finally, after we gave up, she foaled Saturdy morning. A lovely jennet we named Clara. I was there right after the birth to bond with the baby and she's a love.

The more you want it to happen the longer it will take. Also, Jennets can postpone labr if they are stressed.

MeadowRidge Farm said:
Whatever you do DONT milk her,
no.gif
  she needs that colostrum for the baby, and
411924[/snapback]

Why are they different then horses in this respect?

Sounds like you are getting closer.......

I know alot of old timers say not to milk any pending animal but I find milk consistency in horses, sheep,and I assume donks to be a very valuable tool......all the vets I have talked to on this subject agree that you are not going to lose any colostrum just checking the milk....this includes a vet who thinks I am nuts for doing it
rolleyes.gif

When I check her milk I am not getting buckets from her, I just pull out a little bit, just enough to see the color and consistency. I will be checking it for PH levels too, as soon as I get the dixie cups...

Kim R.

Latest posts

Back