Mini bits

Discussion in 'Miniature Horse Forum' started by sofia marsella, May 18, 2020.

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk by donating:

1. May 18, 2020 #1

sofia marsella

sofia marsella

sofia marsella

Hi all I recently bought a show bridle and not for my ponies. I bought the smallest bit I could find wich was 3’5. I tried it on today and it was too big. It wasn’t falling out of the mouth or anything it just looked weird any tips on anything I could do as they were measured for a bit at 3,3 and I was told to go up a size
    Kind regards Sofia

2. May 18, 2020 #2

Marsha Cassada

Marsha Cassada

Marsha Cassada

Depends on the bit style. I got great consultation from Iowa Carriage when I was shopping for a bit for my girl with a tiny mouth. I ended up with a butterfly arch and she is very comfortable with it.

Willow Flats likes this.
  3. May 18, 2020 #3

sofia marsella

sofia marsella

sofia marsella

It’s just a regular eggbut snaffle

4. May 18, 2020 #4

malriis

malriis

malriis

I feel like a mullen mouth fits my dainty-headed guy nicer than a single joint did. To me it looked like the joint was resting way too far forward in his mouth, even though the cheekpieces were adjusted correctly and a 3" would have been too narrow.

5. May 19, 2020 #5

Marsha Cassada

Marsha Cassada

Marsha Cassada

I was using a french link, which my horses have always been fine with. This mare with the little mouth wasn't happy with it at all. The Iowa Carriage rep said it had too much movement for her; she was always getting her tongue over the bit. The butterfly arch has a little angle on the bit and that seemed to be the magic fit for her. She did not like the mullen either. That's why people have bit collections!

6. May 20, 2020 at 7:50 PM #6

Willow Flats

Willow Flats

Willow Flats

I have been using the same bit as Marsha and my horse is really happy with it too.

7. May 21, 2020 at 9:52 AM #7

MindySchroder

MindySchroder

MindySchroder

Is the mouthpiece too big or are the cheeks too big? If the mouth piece is too big that can be a problem as the bit will constantly slide back and forth in your pony's mouth which can result in sores on the corners of their mouth.

It's VERY hard to find quality 3" sized bits. Bowman Bits custom makes bits and when you get one from them you get to choose the alloy, the diameter of the bit as well as the size of the mouth piece. And you can mix and match, mouth pieces with cheeks.

I help lots of people with bit issues including fit and am happy to help! Pictures are always very helpful when troubleshooting.

Draft saved Draft deleted