Mini bits

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sofia marsella

Reaction score
Hi all I recently bought a show bridle and not for my ponies. I bought the smallest bit I could find wich was 3’5. I tried it on today and it was too big. It wasn’t falling out of the mouth or anything it just looked weird any tips on anything I could do as they were measured for a bit at 3,3 and I was told to go up a size
Kind regards Sofia

I feel like a mullen mouth fits my dainty-headed guy nicer than a single joint did. To me it looked like the joint was resting way too far forward in his mouth, even though the cheekpieces were adjusted correctly and a 3" would have been too narrow.

It’s just a regular eggbut snaffle
I was using a french link, which my horses have always been fine with. This mare with the little mouth wasn't happy with it at all. The Iowa Carriage rep said it had too much movement for her; she was always getting her tongue over the bit. The butterfly arch has a little angle on the bit and that seemed to be the magic fit for her. She did not like the mullen either. That's why people have bit collections!

I was using a french link, which my horses have always been fine with. This mare with the little mouth wasn't happy with it at all. The Iowa Carriage rep said it had too much movement for her; she was always getting her tongue over the bit. The butterfly arch has a little angle on the bit and that seemed to be the magic fit for her. She did not like the mullen either. That's why people have bit collections!
I have been using the same bit as Marsha and my horse is really happy with it too.

Is the mouthpiece too big or are the cheeks too big? If the mouth piece is too big that can be a problem as the bit will constantly slide back and forth in your pony's mouth which can result in sores on the corners of their mouth.

It's VERY hard to find quality 3" sized bits. Bowman Bits custom makes bits and when you get one from them you get to choose the alloy, the diameter of the bit as well as the size of the mouth piece. And you can mix and match, mouth pieces with cheeks.

I help lots of people with bit issues including fit and am happy to help! Pictures are always very helpful when troubleshooting.

Maybe this is a good place to start. My darling Phillippe has been consistently putting his tongue over his bit.

How do you deal with that? I'm certainly not interested in tongue tying! I've got 2 older Quarter Horses with scarred-up tongues on the property from nasty treatment, I'm not adding my donkey to that club! But I've heard descriptions of "lifting" the bit using binder twine so they learn to carry it on top of the tongue. Can you guys give me some suggestions?

Thanks for your help!!!

Attachments

• Phillippe harness.jpg
    Phillippe harness.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
Maybe this is a good place to start. My darling Phillippe has been consistently putting his tongue over his bit.

How do you deal with that? I'm certainly not interested in tongue tying! I've got 2 older Quarter Horses with scarred-up tongues on the property from nasty treatment, I'm not adding my donkey to that club! But I've heard descriptions of "lifting" the bit using binder twine so they learn to carry it on top of the tongue. Can you guys give me some suggestions?

Thanks for your help!!!
Midnight was putting her tongue over the bit. When I discussed this with Iowa Carriage, the consultant said it might be because there was too much movement in the bit. She suggested the butterfly arch. Midnight liked that bit very well and I never had any more trouble. I'm using that style of bit on Billy and he works well with it. He did not like the french link. So, maybe there is too much movement in the bit for Phillippe.

Also I have found that Rowan will do this, but only if the bit is hanging too low in his mouth. Not sure whether it's because he physically can't do it when it's higher up, or because it annoys him when it's too low, but putting it up (just one hole, still no wrinkles at the corners of his mouth) stopped it. He has a lozenge-style French link mouthpiece. The Victory mouth would be the next thing I try if this one doesn't work out (he hated a mullen, and was in a normal single-jointed snaffle which was all right but he didn't love it). So far he seems to like the French link better.

I would try just a little tighter first. Now my green mini did this several times but with a cavason it helps keep the mouth closed and they don't do this as much. If you don't use a cavason try it.

Ah, thank you all so much for the advice! I've had a "bit lifter" and a "tongue depressor" suggested - they sound like feasible options (and more cost effective before I go purchase a ported butterfly).
I'd really like to see what the bit lifting technique looks like. I'm having trouble picturing it.

I've tried a mullen mouth half cheek and a single snaffle with him. Both bits it's the same story. I've shortened the cheekstraps fairly short and still, same story. I will try to close the cavesson tighter, but I don't feel really good about that kind of force either. However, if it helps him...

I finally had the opportunity to find a resource and sort out this "bit lifting" idea and it FIXED OUR ISSUE!!!! I mean it's only one time, but it's something replicatable and Phillippe was very comfortable and politely responsive to it. He was less stressed on our drive too! I really enjoyed our time out this weekend. Yet one more use for bale twine!

Attachments

• Phillippe bit solution.jpg
    Phillippe bit solution.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
To lift the bit you can just tie a shoelace over the nose from bit ring to bit ring. Then use another string to tie around the first one and pull it up a bit--fasten that second string to the crown piece. This way the bit gets lifted up off the tongue a little bit. It will not interfere with using the reins, bit it works very well to stop the tongue from getting over the bit.

To lift the bit you can just tie a shoelace over the nose from bit ring to bit ring. Then use another string to tie around the first one and pull it up a bit--fasten that second string to the crown piece. This way the bit gets lifted up off the tongue a little bit. It will not interfere with using the reins, bit it works very well to stop the tongue from getting over the bit.
I tried that with a horse I had. I ended up finding him a different bit. I never could get the shoe string adjusted properly. But big horse bridles have actual bridle designs to lift the bit.

Mmmm I don’t know if I’ll use bits. But what I get from this is that there is a safe way to teach a horses to carry bit in their mouth. Definitely will be helpful at some point.

Hi all I recently bought a show bridle and not for my ponies. I bought the smallest bit I could find wich was 3’5. I tried it on today and it was too big. It wasn’t falling out of the mouth or anything it just looked weird any tips on anything I could do as they were measured for a bit at 3,3 and I was told to go up a size
Kind regards Sofia
Our store carries 3.25", 3.5", 3.75", and 4" mini bits.

Latest posts

Back