Mini bites other animals

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kat W

Reaction score
We have mini that was a rescue,so we dont know past and what he has gone through. He is gelded but continues to relentlessly chase and bite our steer and goats. Is there a way to try to get him out of this?

Are you sure he's gelded? Do you know when he was gelded? How old is he?
Boys play kind of rough, and differently than steers or goats would, so depending on the answer to the previous questions, perhaps an equine playmate would be wise, since they are herd animals and usually do best with another of their own kind to play with.

Maybe you are finding out why he was a rescue.
There can be physical reasons for his aggression. How deep are you willing to go? Has he had his teeth checked? It is possible he is in pain. One thing you could try is giving him a dose of Banamine paste. If you see less aggression it could be a clue that it is pain related.
I got a horse from a rescue situation several years ago. I had him vet checked, but the chiropractor I called actually found his dislocated shoulder. (He had been chased by dogs into a fence)
Horses handle pain differently. Some are passive about it and some get aggressive.
If he was harassed by livestock or dogs in his former place, he may just be unwilling to tolerate it. I've had horses that won't tolerate a dog and will come charging across the yard if a visitor lets his dog out of the car.
While you are figuring this out, do keep them all separated. Maybe with time they will shake down together.

Back