Mingus, Flash, Scarlet and Thelonius beat the heat

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

susanne

dB
Reaction score
We're experiencing a heat wave in the northwest...nothing compared to what many of you get on a regular basis, but for our temperate climes, the thermometers have risen to uncharted territory. Our typical summer heat allows for enjoyable evenings, pleasant nights, and mornings that provide at least enough time to do chores without breaking a sweat. Instead, we have sweltering, stifling, suffocating, nausea-inducing, relentless heat.

In our house we have one air conditioning unit, with box fans to move the cold air about. Outside, the corrals are shaded and troughs are full of clean, cold water. The cats have a choice of going in or out.

Still, I worry.

I've been giving the dogs "doggie-dunks" in cold water several times a day. They're not thrilled being plunked into the whiskey barrel fountain, but they love it once they're wet. Our long-haired black cat, Willoughby, foolishly stood close by (laughing at the dogs, no doubt), so I took life in hand and dunked him as well. Normally this would have resulted in a skin-shredding flurry of claws, but today he didn't even growl.

That left the horses. I took the hose and my favorite small sprinkler and stuck it into the grid of the cattle panel gate, positioning it to spray into both corrals.

At first, nobody dared to enter the spray zone, but instead trotted to safety. So I upped the ante and tossed a small amount of hay into the spray. Although they had just cleaned up the last of their breakfast hay, this got their attention.

Scarlet was first to come forward, no hesitation, even taking a direct hit on her face. She was going to get that hay no matter what, water be dam ned!

Mingus and Thelonius looked confused, determined to get that hay away from Scarlet, but equally determined to avoid the dreaded flying water. They tried approaching from every possible angle. They tried closing their eyes. They tried backing in, but nothing worked. They ended up standing far away from the sprinkler, glaring at me (and nobody can express disgust like Mingus, ears askew and lower lip pouting).

The ultimate response, however, came from Flash in his adjacent corral. He carefully approached, tentatively inching forward until he reached the cool air just beyond the sprinkler's reach. He stood happily, revelling in the refreshing near mist. Without moving his feet, he reached forward and grabbed a bit of hay, then munched, cool, calm and comfortable.

Today is even hotter than yesterday, and when I once again turned on the water, everyone repeated yesterday's behaviors...at first. Scarlet and Flash each moved back to yesterday's positions, Scarlet oblivious to getting soaked, Flash basking in the cool air while enjoying the mid-morning treat.

Whether by accident or by instinct, this time Mingus worked his way past his fear and into the cool zone. Like Flash, he reached for the hay and then pulled back, his rich bay coat glistening with the fine spray. He finished his wet snack, then turned to roll in the dust, grinding his neck and working the cooling dust into his coat.

...and Thelonius...

Little Thelonius trotted nervously around the perimeter of the fearful sprinkler mist...wanting that hay, wanting to keep Scarlet from eating that hay, wanting to be near Mingus, but unable to make that move into the mist.

Perhaps tomorrow...

Last edited by a moderator:
Sus, that's pure genius. You just saved yourself from having to buy a mister. I've set up the sprinker before but never occured to me to through some hay in it. I'll have to try that! When you ever going to post pictures for us????

We've had a couple of heat waves pass through here already and no doubt more are on the way and I am soooooo not looking forward to it. Our worst month here is August but this year has been really screwy when it comes to the weather.
default_wacko.png

WOW-what a fantastic idea...I'll just have to try that!!! LOL
default_biggrin.png
The babies will either LOVE IT or HATE IT--can't wait to find out which!
default_aktion033.gif

I agree Susanne, this is getting a bit ridiculous. Much to hot for my liking.

Vicky and I have been getting up and hosing down horses before turning them out each day. Making trips to the barn every few hours just to bring them all in, hose them down, and turn them back out. I bought some electrolytes from the feed store yesterday to help them rehydrate themselves during the night. Everyone seems to be fairing decently though.

Erin

Yes this heat is miserable we are a few degrees cooler then you today and tomorrow but once it moves on from you it moves straight to us UGH

I have changed the turn out schedule and hose them off once a day of course they promptly hit the ground and roll and then stand there to be hosed off again thank goodness there is shade in the turn outs I would prefer more but will take what I have - Fall is just around the corner I have to tell myself that every day

That was great Susanne!
default_laugh.png

I tried that once but mine got bored and decided to play with said sprinkler and needless to say, broke it. So I have been letting them out into the main area where there is a cool woodland forest for them to hide in during the day, that seems to be working.

Smart move! Glad to hear everyone is doing okay in your heat wave - you guys sure are NOT used to those kinds of temps!

Liz R.

default_laugh.png
Thelonius will eventually "get it".

I used to have a young, spoiled rotten filly who made the decision early in life that water was fun and cool. When I fill the water tubs I also wet a large area around them, dust control and cooling effects. This gal would come to get a shower! She'd actually move around so that both sides were well soaked
default_biggrin.png
default_wub.png
She even learned to stretch her rear legs to signal for me to get up under her belly! I'm telling you, spoiled!!! But, obviously very easy to bathe
default_wink.png
Some others would enjoy the mist, or stand for a light "rain" but, Pumpkin was the queen of hosing.

Latest posts

Back