MiLo's Willie Be Good knocks them dead

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiLo Minis

Reaction score
WE HAD A SPECTACULAR DAY!!!!!!!

Results:

Single Pony Preliminary Dressage - FIRST!

Single Pony Preliminary Cones - FIRST!

Single Pony Preliminary Marathon - FIRST!

Overall Preliminary Pony - FIRST!!!!

Overall for the DAY Marathon - THIRD!!!!!

Okay you have to excuse all the exclamation marks :bgrin but I am just on CLOUD 9!!!!! Willie was AWESOME!!!! We had the whole place just buzzing and a small entourage that followed us around the Marathon course to see us do the hazards. There were 5 of us in the Preliminary Single Pony division which we had to do because there was no VSE division.

He started out the day with the most lovely, relaxed, forward, soft, round dressage test EVER!!! (for us :bgrin) that got us comments like "v. good lengthening", "nice transition", "v. good walk" (I am assuming the "v" stands for very as in VBG :bgrin ) The only mistake was NOT Willie's - I took a tiny deviation in my serpentine when I almost turned up at C instead of the 1/4 line. Of course this was right in front of the judges and I said out loud "oh shoot!" before I wiggled back out to the 1/4 line so, if they hadn't noticed, they heard it! LOL Many thanks to fellow forum member, Liz, who let his throatlatch out a notch the night before - that tiny change made him a different horse! Liz was a godsend without whom I wouldn't have been there - she put in a good word for me with the TD and also lent me some equipment to help make me look like I knew what I was doing! :bgrin

Here we are just arriving at X (the sawdust on the ground) for our halt and salute.

Dressage.jpg

We continued on to a cones course which we did mostly in a very strong trot and went clean with the best time in Preliminary Pony!!! That put us in first position going into the Marathon!!! Sorry no pictures yet!

The Marathon was where he really SHONE though! He had me in tears!!! There were 5 hazards with 5 gates each and they were doozies!!! He just zipped through them and had everyone buzzing and following us around to watch! There were so many spots that we could take advantage of holes that no one else could. After the first hazard you had to, quick, put on the brakes to get down a very steep but short hill into a little valley. Apparently there have been more than a few rollovers on that hill. Willie stayed on his feet and made it easily to the bottom with Mack and I hanging on tight! Coming out of the valley was a HUGE hill that was REALLY steep. We were allowed any pace in the hazards AND on that hill so, though we stuck to his strong trot for the hazards for the most part, Willie hit that hill at a gallop and made it right to the top with me in tears so I couldn't see - he was so brave and bold and just gave me everything!!! There were a couple horses and a pony that had trouble on it and had to turn back for another try. There were all kinds of people waiting at the top to see if we would make it up it. There were 2 other hazards on the hills that twisted around through the trees and up and down the sand hills. I had one turn where I almost whacked his head on a tree!!!! I broke into tears <G> and said "oh Willie I am sooo sorry!" which had everyone watching laughing! I think I must be getting hormonal or something. :eek: We did the whole thing at a good working trot and were pretty much bang on the 11 kms an hour at every mile mark. The entire course was 5.27 km and they allowed us 27.25. We ended up at 27.49 so we gathered a few time faults BUT we came in on the heels of the pony that had left TWO before us, or 8 minutes ahead, and she was on the heels of the pony that left just in front of us 4 minutes ahead!!!!! I saw the horse in front of us and thought "oh no, did we miss something???" but it was too late by then to fix it if we did! :bgrin WE didn't! We also picked up a few faults on one of the hazards but that was my fault, not Willie's, as I put him through a gate backwards that we hadn't used yet - I turned one pole sooner than I had intended to! We did all our gates in that hazard in order but stuck the backwards one in the middle :eek:

Here we are heading out

Marathon1.jpg

This is the 3rd hazard, the water hazard, where I screwed up. We had to go up and down through the posts to the right of the water and out and around through the water and then back up and down through the posts. In the second picture you can see me heading around back to the posts into D backwards
default_rolleyes.gif
:

Marathon2.jpg

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c316/MiL...s/Marathon3.jpg

We got mobbed when we came out of the finish gate and everyone was saying "WOW, wonderful, fantastic, can't believe it!," and other comments like that :bgrin It was a big change from the rolled eyes and rather derogatory comments we got when we arrived. There were full size horses that were covered in lather when they came off and Willie was wet pretty much only under his harness, on his chest and between his back legs but no lather!!! He got a cool refreshing bath anyway.

Here we are coming down the home stretch and then turning in our time card at the finish

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c316/MiL...s/Marathon4.jpg

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c316/MiL...s/Marathon5.jpg

The photos are by Bob (Cityslicker) and he took video of the Marathon for me too!!! Thank you Bob!

When it came time for the ribbon presentations the man who we had to convince to allow us to enter, which he BEGRUDGINGLY did, said "And, no surprise to anyone, first place in Preliminary Single Pony goes to Lori Rafter and MiLo's Willie Be Good!!!"

I love that little horse with all my heart and I have never been so proud of him!!!

WOW!! That is awesome, Lori! It looks like Willie did a great job on everything... :aktion033: :aktion033: as did you! He looks good--I love the end of E picture for some reason.
default_smile.png

Maybe that has changed his mind, eh? :bgrin And if not, Willie certainly proved himself capable of going single pony!

ETA: how old was your gator? And how much was Willie pulling vs. his weight?

Last edited by a moderator:
Lori, holy toledo, you guys really did clean up in that show :aktion033: :aktion033: I loved the photos. Looked like you had nice weather ...not too hot. I would love to watch a driving show. It Looks like so much fun. Heidi

Thanks MiniH and Ribbie!

Mackenzie, my navigator, is just 12 which is the minimum age required for a navigator and was chosen mainly for his weight at just under 70 pounds! :bgrin He is the son of one of my neighbours and he has been showing with me in the breed shows this year. He is great with the horses and just loves them. He is also dyslexic which concerned me some but I was really just taking him along because I HAD TO - a navigator is required in Single Pony unlike VSE. Well much to my surprise and absolute pleasure he was TERRIFIC!!! I got totally lost 3 or 4 times and he hollered hang a left or hang a right and he was bang on EVERY TIME!!! Low and behold there would be the letter we wanted in front of us!!! He is just a great kid!!!

Between me, Mack and the cart Willie was pulling about 350 pounds which is around 75 pounds more than he weighs. The areas that had me most concerned were the hills both up and down and he handled them well!

And Ribbie, it wasn't just fun, it was a totally exhilarating blast!!! :bgrin

Well done, brilliant result.

I am REALLY green with envy- we have nothing like this for Minis.

This was not MEANT for Minis here either Rabbit and, believe me, it wasn't totally easy to get them to allow us to compete but if you push hard enough
default_yes.gif
: they will take your money! :bgrin Then its up to you to prove that you belong there! I don't think I will have nearly as much trouble getting accepted next time! :bgrin

:new_shocked: :aktion033: :aktion033: That a girl!! WAY TO GO LORI!!! Yeah!! Way to knock them dead! Mack and Willie are both AWSOME!! :bgrin Glad you had such a great time!!

Nitro was AWSOME at the CNE in Driving... Wait untill I tell you about some of my driving placings
default_wub.png
: Talk to you soon :saludando:

Atta Boy Willie :D Show those big guys how its done. That horse has alot of heart
default_wub.png
:

Thanks Des and Devon! I sure was proud of the little man!!! Can't wait to hear your CNE driving results Desiree!!!

Woohoo!!! Redheads rock, I'm telling you! :lol: :aktion033:

Seriously, that is so cool that you and Willie not only went but cleaned up and proved so emphatically that VSE's can do it. May I post this story on the www.cde4vse.com website? I think it's a great example of why we do what we do and how minis are converting doubters all over North America.
default_yes.gif
:

Congratulations!

Leia

Yes, I saw that after I posted here.
default_blush.png
: But what I'd like to do is put a link to the story on the Kody Khronicles page under "Other Stories" and put a blurb about it under the sadly out-of-date Current News section. May I do that? I really think it's great!

Leia

Sure you can use it Leia - actually I gave more of the gory details :bgrin on your forum than I did here. I figured the people on your forum would be more likely to want to read the long version :bgrin

Thank you Prestige! After the hard time I got just applying to go I was tickled to death to think that I had placed third in my division but when Liz, who was just bubbling over with pleasure, said "No no I mean OVERALL!!! You got first in your division but there were only 2 horses that beat you altogether on the marathon!!!" I was just floored. I still can't get over how great Willie performed for me. I am now checking into just which ones we can get to next year :bgrin

You already know I'm thrilled for you and the grand old man! So, will you share if I ever make it up there for a visit, or is Willie all yours? :bgrin

Congratulations!

:aktion033: :aktion033: Congratulations Lori, Willie and Mack, what a great job, YAHOO!!!!! What a great horse Willie is and at his age to be fit enough to do all that and come back fresh as a daisy, wow!

Yvonne

Oh my gosh! That absolutley has me in tears! I can feel your jubilation!

There is just nothing more beautiful than a beautiful horse with a good mind working in sinc with his human.

CONGRATULATIONS to both of you!

Charlotte

You already know I'm thrilled for you and the grand old man! So, will you share if I ever make it up there for a visit, or is Willie all yours? :bgrin

Congratulations!
OH if you get up here for a visit you KNOW I will let you take Willie out!!! And Dream and Ari as well because they are both an experience I wouldn't want you to miss! Perhaps you will even get a chance to try out my Dream/Peach tandem if they are going well enough by then!!! Heck I will let you drive anyone if you just get up here for a visit!!! :bgrin

Yvonne Willie is just in his prime and I sure hope he has a good few years left in him because it is going to be a few years before Jessie is ready to replace him. :bgrin

Latest posts

Back