millet/ sorghum/ soybean hay?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Millet is fine, I have used that. Sorghum, no, it is toxic to horses. The soybean part I know nothing about.

It's not common hay, so I'd stay away. There is a reason certain hays are fed... Forage is such a large part of a horses diet that its important nutritional needs can be met.

I should add about millet--around here it is most often used in green feed, meant mostly for cattle. The year we fed it to our horses, it was baled as green feed--VERY greed feed--millet mixed with oats, and as bright green as could be. The protein level was very high, higher than some alfalfa hay. It was lovely feed--the oil in the millet gave the horses such nice shiny coats.

The thing about millet--as with all green feeds--you must be careful about nitrates. If the crop is stressed at all--by a sudden change in the weather, by a slight frost just before cutting..it can be very high in nitrates. Nitrates, of course, are very bad for pregnant mares. So, while millet can be a great feed, it is a feed that you need to be careful with.

I would be careful with soybean hay. From what I understand, it has amino acid and enzyme inhibitors in it that is only inactivated with heat treatment. This can be harmful to normal protein synthesis.

We had a very bad experience with soybean / millet hay! We had two mares get impacted with it and almost lost one of them! I would never feed it again!

Bill

Latest posts

Back