Milking Mares for Test Strips

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cowgurl_up

Reaction score
Hello all!

With foaling upon us it leads me to a new question. I have had 4 foals in the past 4 years but decided this year it would be fun to get some test strips to try out on the 3 that I have due! One problem with that, I have an udder that continues to grow but I can't express any fluid....... Last year was the very first time I was ever able to express fluid out of my most trusted broodmare so was able to watch the consistency change. But before this I have tried and failed all the way up to foaling. So, with that...tips?, tricks?, advice? Anyone else had any problems with this?

I know not to take much and bought strips that don't have to be mixed with distilled water or anything. They claim they only need one drop of milk to test.

The mare was pasture bred May 1st - July 1st. She started in late February with getting that edema in front of her udders, then started some small bag development the beginning of March and has continued making changes throughout the month of March. She now has a much bigger bag on her and is certainly getting closer with all of her other signs yet I still can't get any fluid. So what am I doing wrong?

You're not doing anything wrong. Some mares just don't get any fluid in them until just before foaling. My mare that just foaled is like that. I can get fluid only a day or two before she foals. I can easily get fluid from most of my other mares. They're all different! LOL

Some mares can intentionally withhold their "milk". Sometimes taking a warm wet wash cloth and massaging their bag helps. It's also a good time to wash them in that area too. :eek:)

Sometimes you can 'bump' them a bit like a foal would, gently of course.

Thanks for the advice! It does seem she just needed a little time. I'm now able to expel a very small amount of fluid so have gotten to try out the strips! I'm eager to see how they work and have heard a lot of positive reviews about them. It's kind of a fun way to pass the time while waiting for foals!

Thanks for the advice! It does seem she just needed a little time. I'm now able to expel a very small amount of fluid so have gotten to try out the strips! I'm eager to see how they work and have heard a lot of positive reviews about them. It's kind of a fun way to pass the time while waiting for foals!
I have them (if you're talking about Foal-time strips) They worked perfect for our first mare this year. And it is nice to rip them in 4 also so you dont need to use the whole strip each time. I hold one piece up to the teat when I'm milking and all it takes is a drop and you got the result right away.

Marsha

Where do you get the Foal-time strips? And what is the reading for? Colostrum or PH?

Latest posts

Back