Mighty Minis in Tandem....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiniHGal

Reaction score
Well, I finally have time to post about Mighty Minis CDE! First...wow, everything was great--food, courses, competitors, etc...and no wrecks either! There were lots of 'regulars', with a fair few new names mixed in too--I think everyone had fun!!
aktion033.gif

I drove the mini tandem...and we did wonderful! I was very proud of Elvis, this was his first show ever, and he was a trooper--ate, drank, stood quietly and just took it in like a veteran!! He even figured out the hills(he's a flatlander horse) and was perfectly happy to pull us up and down all over! Fascination was a golden girl(usually!) and was actually quite relaxed at a show for the first time.

So we were the only one in our class(Training Pair or Tandem), and got a 57.09(I think) in Dressage, only had one ball down in cones(a wobbler too dang it), though we had time penalties because I was driving very slowly and carefully, and a great clean marathon!! So total score was 67 something!
biggrin.gif

Cones was interesting, fortunately Fascination is a smart girl and knows to head for the middle of the cones, so I pointed her at a pair and directed Elvis(his first cones course, though he's seen cones before).

Marathon was actually really easy, Elvis came out with just a light sheen of sweat(about like the day of dressage), even though he was pulling two people in a cart. The hazards were nice and flowing(usually) and I only had to walk them twice(though we slow trotted all of them). I honestly think that a few more times of competing and we would be able to do them fairly fast.

So...all in all, no tangles, no wrecks, and a pretty good score for a green tandem!

My mom took the 4 yr old gelding, Dapper Dan(he was a 'free' horse from a friend last year that I trained in Oct)...this was his first CDE and was in Training Singles. They took first overall(yay!!) in Training Singles and ended on their dressage score(58? I think or 59). Dan has such a bigheart, he really got into cones(his first real cones course) and came off of marathon with a lower heart rate than he started with. He did well enough my mom thinks she might take him in Prelim in a year or two.

For the first time, we had a tie for Presentation(yes it was standing!), between Cris Sullivan(and Jeremiah) and Jim Jeffrey(and Rocket). I have to say...I don't thinkI could have made a decision either! Gorgeous turnouts--though of course since I was the one who braided and clipped Jeremiah I was a little partial to them!!
smile.gif

And by the way...our 'group' was 3 entries, 4 horses, and 6 carts altogether...in two trucks, a 2 horse trailer, and a 4 horse gooseneck. The minis sure 'pack' well!

Thanks go to Tanglewood Farms especially for the loan of 1 horse(Elvis), 3 carts(the meadowbrook, the Mini E, and the roadster), and parts of several harnesses, including some new pieces made specially for the tandem(the soft collar, the leader reins, and the hip straps)! There is no way this all could have been pulled off so nicely without them...and then there are several others, including my groom, and Marie McKee, who made my tandem whip.

Neil also has some gorgeous pictures of us on dressage/cones day, and maybe??marathon...could you please post them?

Unfortunately I don't have any pictures from marathon(well, one of Dan), but I did the tandem up very cute--blue vetwrap on the tails and manes braided!

Pictures(I have a lot, sorry):

Dan in dressage...the judge said he had a lot of potential, which he does, sweet boy.

f27871af.jpg

Dan in cones

f2787198.jpg

Hilly cones course!

f2787174.jpg

Dan on marathon, Section A(trot section, no hazards)

f278714b.jpg

Tandem in Dressage...

f27871ac.jpg

Wow, we're actually straight!! Looks like one horse, eh?

f278719e.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
And more:

Walking in Dressage(that is a hazard behind us)

f278719c.jpg

Cones

f278716f.jpg

Cones again

f278716c.jpg

This was going down off a hill...

f2787159.jpg

Gorgeous trots on both

f2787152.jpg

Why couldn't she look like this in dressage?
biggrin.gif

f278714c.jpg

Obviously, we had LOTS and LOTS of fun!
yes.gif

Looking good- Elvis is still hitching his nose in- would he do better without the blinkers, do you think?? You have got to stop driving Fascination on the reins in that rig and let her go- Oh, GOSH I do know how easy that is to say, believe me, and I DO know how it feels when the leader starts stretching out ahead but you have the best mare for the job, in her, trust her!! Traces still a bit long, too??? Overall thought, very well done, considering that isn't even your horse, your cart or some of your harness, you have done brilliantly.

Just off topic for a moment, but are you ground training Master Pippin yet???
smile.gif

Elvis is still hitching his nose in- would he do better without the blinkers, do you think?? You have got to stop driving Fascination on the reins in that rig and let her go- Oh, GOSH I do know how easy that is to say, believe me, and I DO know how it feels when the leader starts stretching out ahead but you have the best mare for the job, in her, trust her!! Traces still a bit long, too??? Overall thought, very well done, considering that isn't even your horse, your cart or some of your harness, you have done brilliantly.Just off topic for a moment, but are you ground training Master Pippin yet???
Actually, Elvis drives like that...his neck conformation lends itself to doing that false nose collection stuff...in single he does better because I am able to remind him to stretch down.
rolleyes.gif

And Fascination...I kept her back in most of these pictures because she has a tendency to decide to pull the whole turnout by herself if Elvis hangs back....which could get ugly in cones especially!
biggrin.gif
Some of the not so pretty pictures have the traces quite taut, or at the right tightness.

And nope, Pippin is still lazing around, fat and happy! I will start him next year, though he could start ground driving now and he would catch on in one lesson I know.

I wish I could continue driving them together, but college and other plans are kind of barring that!

Yes, my leader did that, he was three inches shorter than the wheeler and still insisted on heaving the entire thing forward on his own given half a chance!! He actually pulled the cart up into the wheelers bum and shoved him forward because I wasn't paying enough attention!! I ended up having one "walk on" command for the wheeler, which I gave a fraction of a second before commanding the leader, so the cart was already at least with the weight taken off it, and he could not do his "Ben Hur" interpretation. I'll have to see if I can scan some photos of the actual event- we ended up leading them because the ring was so very full of seriously large horses. At one point the little so-and- so's were trying to outrun the Norwich Union Mail Coach complete with four in hand!!

I did not mean to hi jack the thread, nor to rain on your parade - I just re-read and it sounds rather condescending!! I do think you've done a tremendous job with them and I can't wait to see the other pictures.

I also cannot wait to see Master Pippin as leader to Fascinations wheel!!!
yes.gif

MiniHGal...YOU GO GIRL!!!!!! I think you look GREAT
wink.gif
!!!!!! As, always I enjoy your posts and, love reading what your up to!! Keep up the GREAT work
aktion033.gif

Lisa

Ah geez Rabbitsfizz, I know you better than that--plus, I'll take any advice I can! I know we've got 'hitches' to be worked out. Besides, I know you know what you are talking about...

Actually, Pippin has the heart to try that...he would totally go for it I think.
biggrin.gif
I just worry about him getting squashed, LOL.

Awesome, those are beautiful pictures and you can be proud of all your effort and horses' performances!

I am in awe!

Thank you for sharing,

Liz M.

As always fabulous. You are nothing short of amazing. Thank you again for sharring these pictures.

This time I have a couple of questions: Probably dumb ones but I don't have a clue.

When going downhill, how are you supposed to keep the cart from slaming into the horses? I see you are pulling on the reins there. Does that thing have brakes?

Are theses mini shows or open shows?

And is that your very long braid I am seeing hanging down back there? If so, don't get it caught in the wheels!
biggrin.gif

When going downhill, how are you supposed to keep the cart from slaming into the horses? I see you are pulling on the reins there. Does that thing have brakes?
Are theses mini shows or open shows?

And is that your very long braid I am seeing hanging down back there? If so, don't get it caught in the wheels!
laugh.gif
I of course have breeching on the wheel horse, adjusted properly....so it stops the cart with the breeching, which puts pressure on the horse's padded rear end. Because the weight of the cart(100 or so pounds, if not more), and the humans(300 or thereabouts) combined is pretty heavy, I would have kind of liked to have brakes, however, Elvis doesn't mind holding the cart back on the hills and brakes would have made it even heavier.

This was a CDE recognized by the ADS(American Driving Society). It was a 'mini' show....though actually it was for "Very Small Equines"--39" and under at the withers. Registered or not is ok too. They also have CDEs that are horse/pony/VSE too.

And yes that's my braid and it is not long enough to get caught in the wheels(or shouldn't be LOL).

Beautiful. I love the tandem team. That looks difficult to do...

Very, Very Nice!!! You have done an outstanding job, they look awesome!!!

aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif

Suzy Hooper

Show Horses by Suzy

Fresno, CA

*grin* for once I am bumping my own post....but I am very very proud of these three horses....so?
biggrin.gif

Gosh girl you have REASON to be proud!!! Those pics show some awesome turnout....and I am enjoying every pic and description! Thanks so much for sharing...and congrats!! You all deserve it!
aktion033.gif
yes.gif

Wow how exciting!! I love the pix, u all look great. I wondered about going downhill too being from fl we dont have many hills.It just looks scarey going downhill. Your mare is awesome and I gotta say Elvis is doing great for u too.Congrats!!!

Hey there Breanna! Sorry it's taken me so long to reply to this, I first saw it at work where the pictures are blocked and then I kept forgetting all week to dig it up at home so I could comment. But I finally did this morning and I love it. Elvis is just a looker, Fascination looks like she trucked along like she always does, and Dan is, as usual, adorable. I especially like the "Hilly cones course" picture.
biggrin.gif

My mom took the 4 yr old gelding, Dapper Dan(he was a 'free' horse from a friend last year that I trained in Oct)...this was his first CDE and was in Training Singles. They took first overall(yay!!) in Training Singles and ended on their dressage score(58? I think or 59). Dan has such a bigheart, he really got into cones(his first real cones course) and came off of marathon with a lower heart rate than he started with. He did well enough my mom thinks she might take him in Prelim in a year or two.
Congratulations! He sounds just like Kody with the heart rate and all. I really think those two would make a heck of a pair someday! LOL. Kody got a 53.61 in his very first dressage test earlier this year taking third, then of course I screwed up our pacing in marathon (my very first time) and got us docked all sorts of penalty points.
frusty.gif
He took to cones like a duck to water, just like Dan. I love Dan. Dan is cute.
wub.gif
Dannnn.....
wub.gif

Must...go...practice for CDE!

Leia

aktion033.gif
You and your minis look wonderful as always!!
biggrin.gif

Love it when you share your stories and photos!!

Congratulations! He sounds just like Kody with the heart rate and all. I really think those two would make a heck of a pair someday! LOL. Kody got a 53.61 in his very first dressage test earlier this year taking third, then of course I screwed up our pacing in marathon (my very first time) and got us docked all sorts of penalty points.  He took to cones like a duck to water, just like Dan. I love Dan. Dan is cute.  Dannnn..... 
Yes...Dan puts me in mind of Kody a lot! Same dressage level...lots of go and wants to please! And hey, they are about the same size--Dan's 33.5" so not quite as tall....

Hmmm...
new_shocked.gif

And Dan knows he is cute...little lavender horsie!

Thanks Shari and Sterling! And hairicane, the hills looked scary walking the cones course...but they really turned out pretty good!
yes.gif

Yes...Dan puts me in mind of Kody a lot! Same dressage level...lots of go and wants to please! And hey, they are about the same size--Dan's 33.5" so not quite as tall....
Hmmm... 
new_shocked.gif

And Dan knows he is cute...little lavender horsie!
What do you mean not quite as tall? Kody is 33.5" on his papers, measured in at 33.25" at the show this year. I sense another means of dragging you up to Happs! LOL. Bring Fascination for singles at the higher levels, Dan to make a pair with Kody in training level, and Elvis to leave here. Oh, sorry, did I say that out loud?
whistling.gif
laugh.gif
There's only one other pair in our area so if we didn't wreck the ring we'd be guaranteed second.
biggrin.gif

Dan is, indeed, a little lavender horsie. What the heck is his official color anyway?
wacko.gif

Leia

Latest posts

Back