Might start a local Co-Op garden

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shari

Reaction score
DH and I are thinking about starting a co-op garden for friends, as one of the family friends expressed an interest in helping out with the weeding or what ever is needed for the Kitchen garden, in exchange for Veggies during the summer.

We would have to move and expand where the kitchen Garden is, "If" enough people are interested.

So.... would any of you NW Mini people be interested or willing to help keep the garden weeded and tended at least a couple of days a week in exchange for fresh Organically grown Veggies?

This would just be low key, spit and a hand shake word of honor, kind'a deal. Exchange for people power, for local grown Veggies.

I have to admit.. I could use the help weeding as the spring and early summer is the hardest on me,,,keep the weeds under control by hand. With help we, might be able to set up a watering system of some kind, so the water just needs to be turned on.

You can check out the blog for some idea of what the garden was like this year.

http://the-neesfamily.blogspot.com/2008/07...is-growing.html

http://the-neesfamily.blogspot.com/2008/08...hings-that.html

http://the-neesfamily.blogspot.com/2008/09/whats-up.html

Great idea Shari !

I wanted to do a family vegetable garden next year. It will be our first.

Wish I lived close. It's too hard for one person to keep up a garden in a hot climate. I think I'll talk to my folks around here for a fall garden. Great idea!

Am glad you both like the idea! Just hope I get a couple more takers up here.
default_wink.png

I know folks that garden in the winter time down south...should be able to do that in TX too!

That's definitely a good idea. Hope you find some people who are interested. I know I sure would be. I put in a really small garden, but with the work keeping it up then throwing away so much of what I get from it, next year it's gonna be reduced even more. I HATE waste.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shari, I hope it works for you. Where we are they have tried that, but it gets quite hot in the summer and people stopped helping, but still expected the goods. I will be starting a huge garden next year, but I will be selling my goods. At least here, the people that would be willing to get out, cant because of age. I do think though that the reasons they didnt work here, wont be of issue to you up there.
default_saludando.gif

That is my worry too.

My little garden.. I can keep up with....sort'a. I do know that family friend would show up when she says she would. But you are right.. I haven't had the best of luck with people showing up and doing things they said they would...even if you pay them. Sigh ~~

If I don't get in any other interest, will keep the garden where it is, even though it is an odd space.

Your idea is really good...help you and help others. I used tp raise a real big garden but once the kids were gone I narrowed it down to just tomatos, cucumbers, green peppers and carrots. My son is going to work up an area the horses used to have [don'y need it for horses now] and we are planning on growing more stuff again since we are all eating healthy now. I love acorn squash, and crook neck squash so that will take up some space. I never have veggies that go to waste for I give away a lot to friends and family and they too enjoy it. [i wouldn't mind if they stepped up and done some of the weeding too!

I'm putting in a garden this year, after having not done so for a few -- too many hrs at work and I could not take care of it! But, in past have always have a very abundant, successful plot. After having been "abolished job" retired about a month ago, I have decided that this year I will again have my own fresh veggies!! Like Pepi, I plan to sell the excess. Of course, I have my son & wife living in their own home on my farm -- they will eat from it but, probably little help otherwise -- and since my daughter and gr daughter moved back into my house this past March, I just designated her to help
default_laugh.png
She will do so as she does not work but a day or so during summer to be able to be home with Katie, 6 yr old. Plus, she likes to do flowers, etc. Some of those will be grown & sold for inexpensive table decorations. I have two busy highway sites and we will do Fri/Sat/Sun days at those...some or all, depending on traffic, weather, product available.

Son just bought "the farm" a new compact tractor (with implements that he could use on his own jobs, backhoe/end loader, etc)........so, he doesn't have to help
default_rolleyes.gif
He's "paid up".
default_wub.png
default_laugh.png
I bought a grader blade, disc, cultivator, etc. for my own use
default_laugh.png
on our tractor....& I have two tillers, already.....& several hoes. Well, daughter & I will be doing most of the work but, DIL will help harvest! She is not an "outside" person!!!! That's ok, as you sometimes just need help to pick enough for the garden to be used up. I see this as a small business for some spending $$, as well as summer & most of winter veggies.

As to a "community" garden -- the idea is good but, often those wanting to participate fall out of the pack when you need them most. Sadly, it's true. Will probably work with no more than 3 or 4, as that way you remain more "close knit" and the relationship is more of a pleasurable, don't let one another down, than that of actual "work -- don't feel like it". Generally, if you can get them to commit to a time and meet and work with someone, not alone, it will become more social and more enjoyable. Wherever you set it up, consider having some type of shade and setting area -- couple old chairs or tree stumps, an inexpensive canopy.....a big tree, etc........a few extra hoes/rakes at the ready for anyone to grab and use! The neighbor who has ASKED to work for food is your very best bet. Does she have another friend in need of same? LOL
default_wub.png

I planned on making the kitchen garden we had this year.. into Raised beds some time before next Spring planting season. Put down weed cloth around the paths..and that 1/4- fine gravel. Would help keep the weeding down to me sure.

If our friend wants more corn and the super big stuff...then we will either have to make another garden some where else on the place or move the whole thing. Humm.... Though moving the garden in whole would be a lot of work. Maybe two kitchen gardens would be best. The Raised beds close to the house,, and one for Corn, pumpkins and all that in a new garden area. Would have to fence for deer and figure out how to get water out there.

Want to put in some nut trees too..... Lots and lots of plans.
default_laugh.png

DH has an old tractor only he can run but it sure makes light work with some of the garden chores.

Yes, I think she knows a few others with Cancer or like her, just in remission... will put the offer too her but I will need help. Most of the close neighbors have their own wee kitchen gardens.

We do have plenty of shade...and having something to drink and snack on is not a problem. Plan on getting a few benches to place here and there anyway.

Lots to think about.
default_laugh.png

Is really nice to hear others have kitchen gardens that are doing well!

Back