Midnight

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congratulations on finding Midnight a home...I'm sorry you had to rehome her, though...but, I know the constant worry would just be too much. Doing the best for them is so hard on us sometimes....☹️

I think most people, including vets, are so used to seeing overweight horses/ponies that they think it's normal.
My vet kept saying Prince was fine, she even said he looked good....but, I know he is overweight...after I just looked at her she put her hands on both sides of him and finally said, "well, ok, he could stand to lose a few pounds..." then added, "but, for a pony he's not bad at all."
I have to wonder how overweight the ponies she's seeing are.

Happy that Midnight went to a (hopefully) good home.

Probably you aren’t thinking this far ahead, but any plans to get Dapper Dan a buddy?

She had lost 13#, down from 278 3 weeks ago; vet did not even think she should be driving at that weight. shhheeesh. She's been doing great in harness. I don't know what to think. Maybe he is thinking of a ridden horse instead of a driven horse that is overweight?
That's surprising to me too! If she wasn't in any distress, I would think driving her regularly would get her into shape. I have to feed my driving horses more or they lose weight. If they stand around they gain weight. Horses need exercise just like we do, and I've seen your pictures, you are a slim woman definitely not too much for Midnight!
Glad to hear with time off she will be sound again and maybe her new owner will get the help she needs to pursue driving in the future.

That's great! In your situation I think it's a great idea to get a mature horse that has been on pasture without issues, so you know what you're getting into. If you get a baby, you won't get a very clear picture of their metabolic state until they are totally grown up.

Marsha, Are you looking at driving horses or just a companion for DD?
We are picking up two horses tomorrow. One for my sister and one for me. Both have driving experience but have not been driven in quite a while. My main focus is on companion, health, temperament. If we can get them back into driving that will be a plus.

We are picking up two horses tomorrow. One for my sister and one for me. Both have driving experience but have not been driven in quite a while. My main focus is on companion, health, temperament. If we can get them back into driving that will be a plus.
Whatcha looking at? Just being nosey. [Mare, gelding, age?]

Whatcha looking at? Just being nosey. [Mare, gelding, age?]
One is a mare, the daughter of my sister's mare. She was foaled in 2008. She is a daughter of Ericas oohs and ahs, and reserve halter horse in, I think, Canada. The other is a gelding foaled in 2013, Billy the Kid (I forget his farm name). The mare had a cart event several years ago and no one has worked her through it since. Billy has been driven, but not much in recent years. (Don't you just hate to see all that talent unused!) My sister and I are planning to see who is compatible with whom. I'm leaning toward Billy for Dapper Dan; I was told he is not dominant. The mare is "bossy".
So, we looking at two older horses, which may work out fine for us. My only criteria was no metabolic issues. Both horses are plump, easy keepers, but have been on pasture with no issues.

Latest posts

Back