Midnight

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hang in there - it's only been a few days and she'll settle in. It's much harder on you than it is on her. :) It's probably mainly missing her buddy - can he be in with her at least part of the time? That might help a lot, get into a routine with when he's in and when he's not, and she'll get used to it.
He's right beside her in the corral, but separated. He drives her around so I am keeping them apart for now.
Manure a little better today, so maybe it was the banamine. She likes the peanuts but Dapper Dan won't eat them. I think she is more desperate for treats than he is!
I spoke to my dil last night; she is a certified barefoot trimmer. I will call her after the xrays, but she was hopeful that even if there is separation, Midnight could recover. She had several clients with a similar laminitis problem.
I took DD for a walk this morning.

The crest can go away completely! It's really a great indicator for whether the diet is good or not. If Cushing's has been ruled out, then IR/laminitis is very much a diet-induced
What does a floppy crest mean? Our old gal, Magic has a floppy crest that falls over a bit, but I wasn’t sure if it was from her THICK mane?

What does a floppy crest mean? Our old gal, Magic has a floppy crest that falls over a bit, but I wasn’t sure if it was from her THICK mane?

I'm no expert on this, but my understanding is that it has to do with the ligament that runs along the top of the neck. The fallen crests I've seen have mostly been on horses/donkeys that have or have had a large fatty crest at one point or another, then just the weight of it can make it fall over and once that tissue is stretched out there isn't really a way to get it back to totally normal again. A heavy mane can certainly do it, I would guess maybe if she doesn't have any fat in her crest, if you cut her mane it might be able to stand up again? Depends on the history of it. Can you post a pic? If it's a fatty crest then there are certainly a lot of things that can be done diet-wise to help get rid of that.

Marsha, how is Midnight doing today?

We went for xrays today. He said there is some rotation but she has lots of sole (probably thanks to trimming every 4 weeks). So, once this laminitis flare recedes, she should be good to go back to working. But she can never have a blade of grass again, even with a grazing muzzle. I told him I cannot do that, and would he help me rehome her. (He was already texting as we spoke)
I told them what a good girl she is.
She was very cooperative, standing on the wooden blocks for the xray and submitting to temperature and heartbeat checks.
She is the perfect companion for Dapper Dan. I know the news could have been worse, but it is bad enough.
They all admired her equine fusion boots! He told me to leave the boots on her, and not to do the mud puddle any more. Keep her on a dose of Banamine every day, then cut back to half dose after a weekxray1.jpgxray2.jpg Her face is very open and happy-looking, but he said she is in a lot of pain. I can bring her back in three weeks for xray to see if anything changed.

Aww Marsha, I am sorry that this has happened. It sound like you have an awesome vet and hopefully he'll know of someone who you can rehome her to. The good thing is she has sole to work with, my welsh pony always had thin soles and it compounded his laminitis problems. Did the vet say anything about soaking her hay until she gets over the "hump"?

Aww Marsha, I am sorry that this has happened. It sound like you have an awesome vet and hopefully he'll know of someone who you can rehome her to. The good thing is she has sole to work with, my welsh pony always had thin soles and it compounded his laminitis problems. Did the vet say anything about soaking her hay until she gets over the "hump"?
Yes, I am supposed to soak the hay. I will start that tomorrow. I have their feet trimmed every 4 weeks; perhaps that contributed to her sole. The vet said "she has good feet".

I'm no expert on this, but my understanding is that it has to do with the ligament that runs along the top of the neck. The fallen crests I've seen have mostly been on horses/donkeys that have or have had a large fatty crest at one point or another, then just the weight of it can make it fall over and once that tissue is stretched out there isn't really a way to get it back to totally normal again. A heavy mane can certainly do it, I would guess maybe if she doesn't have any fat in her crest, if you cut her mane it might be able to stand up again? Depends on the history of it. Can you post a pic? If it's a fatty crest then there are certainly a lot of things that can be done diet-wise to help get rid of that.

Marsha, how is Midnight doing today?
I gave her mane a “hack job” last month, and hadn’t really looked at her crest until tonight, and it is much better, not as floppy! She does have some fatty deposits on the underside of her mane though, but we are working on managing her weight. Here is a picture of her mane as of tonight. I guess I don’t know what her crest “should” look like, being 21YO and pretty much unknown background.

Attachments

• 079FEE8C-3434-4F77-A9BF-C5D5683F1F73.jpeg
    079FEE8C-3434-4F77-A9BF-C5D5683F1F73.jpeg
    181.8 KB · Views: 8
Well, I'm glad Midnight has such a good vet and a good owner. And that she will recover enough to be able to do things. I would not be able to keep her either. I couldn't have a dry lot where I live unless I kept it tilled! It's taken me two years not to feel horrid for making DJ wear a muzzle almost all year.

I gave her mane a “hack job” last month, and hadn’t really looked at her crest until tonight, and it is much better, not as floppy! She does have some fatty deposits on the underside of her mane though, but we are working on managing her weight. Here is a picture of her mane as of tonight. I guess I don’t know what her crest “should” look like, being 21YO and pretty much unknown background.
A picture from the side (without mane) would be more telling about the state of her crest.

We went for xrays today. He said there is some rotation but she has lots of sole (probably thanks to trimming every 4 weeks). So, once this laminitis flare recedes, she should be good to go back to working. But she can never have a blade of grass again, even with a grazing muzzle. I told him I cannot do that, and would he help me rehome her. (He was already texting as we spoke)
I told them what a good girl she is.
She was very cooperative, standing on the wooden blocks for the xray and submitting to temperature and heartbeat checks.
She is the perfect companion for Dapper Dan. I know the news could have been worse, but it is bad enough.
They all admired her equine fusion boots! He told me to leave the boots on her, and not to do the mud puddle any more. Keep her on a dose of Banamine every day, then cut back to half dose after a weekView attachment 47774View attachment 47775 Her face is very open and happy-looking, but he said she is in a lot of pain. I can bring her back in three weeks for xray to see if anything changed.

I’m so sorry you are going through this! It’s so hard to give up our 4 legged babies but thankfully your vet seems very caring and I’m sure he will find the perfect home loving home for her. Sounds like you have her best interest in mind and that definitely shows your love for her.

Gave them both a bath today. Dapper Dan ran around like an idiot afterward and he got Midnight all excited. She was running and flagging her tail in the corral. I believe she is feeling better. I will cut down the banamine to half tonight. I'll call the vet and ask him when he thinks she can go for a short walk, just to occupy her mind.

Latest posts

Back