midnight star stables: my name is Midnight!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
we are looking to "rent" or lease a mare that is more Midnight's size, so that we can get that foal....

y is it that mare horses that are 14hands can be bred 2 15.2- 16hand stud & have safe deliverys, but minis can't be bred 2 a mini 1 or 2" taller??!!?

oh minis can be bred to just a few inches taller but it is that if the stallion is a bigger build and the mare is a finer build there is a big possibility for it getting stuck! Breeding minis is ALOT more dificult that breeding big horses cause minis are so small and there is so much that could happen!!

-Gage-

[SIZE=14pt]It has more to do with build than height. I have bred my 37 inch stallion to 33 inch mares but he is VERY fine boned.[/SIZE]

f782d2a3.jpg
This stallion is 37"

This is his 35 inch brother who we also use. You can see that they both are finer boned than your midnight. He is built more like a morgan and these like arabians or saddle breds.

f691e29c.jpg

This mare is what I consider medium boned.

f369a8c1.jpg

Lyn

hey thanks lyn, i just took some world class reg photos of midnight today, & he looks really good!! when i get them develiopedin a few days, i'll try 2 post them, he look more like an arabin (minus his head), & his legs are very streched, maybe he might look more fine to you then? im not trying to make you say its a good idea to breed midnight & joy, i just think joy will grow to be smaller than midnight, but midnight isalittle finner than joy

desiree

Picture14.jpg
zzz.jpg

Picture6.jpg

(these are not midnights new reg pics, i don't have them yet)

Last edited by a moderator:
[SIZE=14pt]Desi from those pics she is finer boned than he is . Just by looking at the legs. No offense but midnight is much heavier boned than either of those two boys.[/SIZE]

Lyn

would it be worth buying/renting/leaseing a mare 4 2years more fit 4 midnight??

could some one show me the ideal type of mini 4 midnight! would there be any chance the mare could be 32-33"??

please help
wacko.gif

a want a foal from him!
unsure.gif

desiree

Hello again Des, and I admire your enthusiam.......my goodness you have a lot of plans for the future.

I am trying to keep up with your posts and it would help me out a lot if you would PLEASE spell out your words instead of using "u and r" etc.

this guy has helped me in alot of tight/ bad things & i love him, he is geting older, yes but when he goes, i want something 2 rememder him be, & what better than a baby?

I understand that you want to find a way to "preserve" your aging stallion by having him sire a foal for you.

I had a mare that I lived for also, and I bred her too for the very same reason. That way, when she was gone, I still had a part of her to love in my barn. I was very happy that I did too because she lived on in her babies that she left for me.

I understand you very well.

[SIZE=14pt]Desi, I would look for a mare 34-36 that is the same bone density as he is. That would be the safest , also a mare that has a history of foaling freely.[/SIZE]

You are a very beginner and no offense but I have had to go inside a mare and right a foot or two to get a baby out. It was scary even for me so if you can find a mare that free foals that would be your best bet.

Lyn

thanks for your support marty!!

lyn, if i bred mid to a 34-36" mare, what are my chances to get the foal reg? is it possibal? you made it sound that hardship is my only way & that it is very hard to do so. if i found a mare with a thicker build than mid, could i bred smaller (maybe an amha foal?) thank you so much, & i aprecate your sharing of your exprence!

thanks desiree

The only way you will ever get a foal registured out of him is if it were to stay 34" or under at 5 years of age. Then you can hardship it into AMHA.

i under stand the AMHA hardship but the AMHR seems to be more difficult. i need help with amhr hardship. must u hardship with amha befor amhr? what if the foal/5year old goes over the34" mark? i'm confusing myself a little here!
wacko.gif
smile.gif
wacko.gif

You can not hardship into AMHR anymore. You would have to hardship AMHA then bring them over to AMHR. If they go over 34" then you have a grade no matter what.

[SIZE=14pt]Ashley is correct. You cant hardship into AMHR unless the horse is an amha or aspc (shetland) that stays under 38or in the case of coming over from amha it would have to be 34 and under at age 5 and that is not likely with a 35 inch stallion. If all you wanted was a foal to remember him by then registration doesnt matter does it The safety of the mare you breed should come first.I think you have to face it that a foal from Midnight cant be registered unless it stays under 34 inches and that is 6 years down the road if you bred him right now.And maybe not even then because he is over and his parents may have been even bigger than he..[/SIZE]

Lyn

Desi - First, well done with this horse. You've done a great job and made him into a talented miniature. I understand where you would like to have a memory of him, but if you can train a horse at his age, do you want to waste time and talent on a future horse that you probably won't be able to show to the levels you'd like to?

Maybe you could find a younger registered horse that you could start over again, and allow Mid to retire into a life of luxury. Not necessarily a weanling, but maybe a 1 or 2 year old that you could work with, or an older horse to drive!

I also have to agree with Marty --

I am trying to keep up with your posts and it would help me out a lot if you would PLEASE spell out your words instead of using "u and r" etc.
. Too many years as a professional secretary, this stuff drives me batty!
rolleyes.gif

Des I do understand you, that you think you are going to be able to "imortalize" Midnite by having a foal from him.

But I am not saying that I completely agree that what you are trying to do either, under all these difficult circumstances would be a good idea considering all the time and money it would involve would be in your best interest.

I think you should consider giving this a lot more thought and just enjoy Midnite for who he is without worrying about trying to get a replica of him at this time.

I too think you are placing a lot of emphasis on one foal. I bred Rabbit, who is now 26 years old. NEVER in his whole life, has he ever produced a foal to replace or even equal himself. Not for me. He has had only three colts I consider good enough to be Stallions ( I am very picky about Stallions) He is actually a much better mare producer. I have twenty of his daughters, grand-daughters and great grand- daughters, and I have had HUNDREDS to choose from. Not one is like Rabbit, each is their own person. This is a horse that has won too much to even remember, let alone mention, and I did not start showing him till he was fourteen. I think you need to start looking for a registered gelding or filly that you can show and have fun with , now. A foal that could well end up disappointing you, through no fault of it's own, is not the way to be going. Before you go any further you need to have Midnight tested for fertility- this is dead simple and not costly, and may put your dreams on hold right there.

hi,

well for getting another mini, the answer is no, we are moving, & are very tight on $, we will have less space & no room & my parents freak if i don't get an A in school!(in a year or so, we will be on our feet & have more $ after settling in) & besides, i don't just "fall in look /have a specail bond" with just any horse, mid has a certen somethin that i love, well he has many! so i he could pass any of these 2 his kid then that would be fine.
yes.gif

our family has been thinkin, & our quarter horse may be the mare we bred mid 2 anyway. it looks like there wouldn't be any chance of reging the baby any way, lol..

a good driving/ kid riding /trick playing midnight baby is all i want

gtg

desiree

And how are you gonna accomplish that one?
unsure.gif

Hey, Have you ever thought of breeding you litle filly (when she is old enough) to someones stallion there in Canada? It would not cost as much (from probably $300.00 to $500.00) But like the others said it might not be a good idea wher she has never had babies!! Just a thought:)

-Gage-

Latest posts

Back