Microchips

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Indian*R*A*I*N*Dance

Reaction score
Has anyone microchiped there mini? My mom was thinking about doing it. Do you think it would be a wise decision?

Here in Louisiana, it is a state law that all horses are identified by either a brand, tattoo or microchip. My minis are all microchipped and it seems to be fairly painless for them. It is usually done when their coggins is pulled and a tiny chip is injected under their skin, usually on the left side of their neck. Once it's there, it can be read with a little hand held reader and it has a digital readout of their number that identifies them. Great in helping to identify stolen livestock and it also lets the state keep track of the livestock too!
default_rolleyes.gif
My cost per horse was $25.00 and I just had all mine done recently since three of mine came from the great state of Texas! The others were weanlings when purchased.

We had Saber microchip not long after we got him.

He wasn't fond of it since horses don't have the loose neck/shoulder skin like felines & canines have

and did rear up in protest during it.

However, other than that it doesn't seem to have bothered him at all and I like the thought that we can prove his identity with the chip.

Yep, have both of mine micro-chipped. i don't like the look of branding.

Our horses are microchipped because they came from Louisiana. It's nice to know they have identification on them. You can't even tell where the chip is. I don't know where it is.

My QH came from Louisiana, my mini I chipped myself. Definately important in my eyes, but possibly an abused technology in the future with all these wacky NAIS ideas, one of which is to install transmitters strong enough to activate the chip from a distance (like 30ft) to track your horses on the interstates.

My QH came from Louisiana, my mini I chipped myself. Definately important in my eyes, but possibly an abused technology in the future with all these wacky NAIS ideas, one of which is to install transmitters strong enough to activate the chip from a distance (like 30ft) to track your horses on the interstates.
That's exactly the implications that have been made others by concerning greater government involvement!
default_unsure.png
No surprise, of course ...
default_no.gif

Latest posts

Back