Microchipping?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MountainWoman

Reaction score
I'm thinking about microchipping my horses. My dogs are microchipped and just wondering if anyone has done their horses?

Yes. It goes in their neck. Some breeds, such as andalusians, require them and put the number on their papers.

Many breeds require micro-chipping as a part of registration. It is used to identify horses. I doubt it would be helpful in the case of stolen horses as not all rescues/sale barns/police will have readers.

Unless I was required to by a registry, I would not as I don't see an advantage. But, other than cost and effort, I also do not see a disadvantage.

Dr. Taylor

Thanks! Probably going to do it because it's a sure method of identification although if places don't have readers then it won't do much good I suppose.

Louisiana requires either chip or brand for coggins testing. all vets, sale barns and large farms have 'the scanners around here. I will say in emergency situations like hurricanes it has been an invaluable tool in returning horses to their rightful owners. I've watched all the facebook posts on the OK tornado animals and sit here thinking a chip would be so much easier on everyone involved. My horses are all done and I'm working on getting all my dogs done as their annual vet appts come due.

my two gypsy horses are done...gonna do my mini when he is sedated for having his teeth cleaned (why make it mildly uncomfortable for them when I can do it then)...

Sandi

I never thought of a natural disaster but microchips would sure be an invaluable aid in returning horses home. Does it hurt to microchip minis? My vet is coming to my farm next week but no one is going to be sedated. My dogs were done while they were getting spayed/neutered so they were under anesthesia. Did your Gypsy horses mind Sandi?

The needle is larger than a regular vaccine needle, but generally well tolerated.

The risk to infection is pretty low.

In humans microchips have led to cancer. I haven't seen any studies in animals, but as their lifespan is much lower, the assumption is the risk is low if any at all.

Dr. Taylor

It's compulsory here in the UK now for all foals to be chipped. The proceedure is very quick and we only had a 'jump' in the babies we have done over the past few years, then nothing. A simple fact of putting the chipping 'machine' against their necks, a click and the chip is shot into the neck and that's it - much quicker than chipping dogs who seem to have to put up with a normal type of injection but with a huge 'needle', bless them!

I never thought of a natural disaster but microchips would sure be an invaluable aid in returning horses home. Does it hurt to microchip minis? My vet is coming to my farm next week but no one is going to be sedated. My dogs were done while they were getting spayed/neutered so they were under anesthesia. Did your Gypsy horses mind Sandi?
They do it with needles here, no 'machine' it will pinch them a bit, as mentioned it's a larger needle to get the chip thru, but it's really no worse, actually less than giving them penicillin because it's quick and over with in less time. Some of them never notice. One of my dogs had it done in a mobile clinic at the park during a rescue pet drive we were participating in, she didn't even yelp. I don't know if she even noticed, I was feeding her a tasty cookie, lol and she was consumed with trying to pull it from my fingers. We don't do the foals til it's time to do their first coggins (usually at a year) so by then we've had them halter broke, vaccinated and feet trimmed, trailer loaded etc. They take it very well.

I have thought of ading that for our horses also

Sara your little D'Armond mare should be micro chipped already ours was when we got her .

Check the coggins you got with her it should be on there,

Headed off to check her coggins now and thanks everyone for letting me know horses tolerate the chipping well.

I heard that if in doubt if an animal has been chipped, you can use an electronic stud finder to see if there is a chip. It won't read the information on the chip but will let you know one is there.

Had LOTS of misgivings and "bad vibes but I've had 6 dogs done and of the 6, 5 developed problems with the microchips - all had to be removed. Different vets/ clinics, 2 different brands of chips and different breeds/sizes of dogs.

I've not had the ponies done and currently would rather freeze brand (if we'd stayed in MT or CO, we had brand already registered - but moved to NC where not required and no one really seems to check brands, no brand inspections) than microchip. I have had two horses w/ "foreign objects" in their bodies. They were left until their body and the object decided to come back to surface of skin and then they were removed by the vet... both objects were natural - sticks from pastures - one in the leg and one in the neck. The one in the neck stayed for almost 10 years. The one in the leg - 2... Neither horse got sick or any known infections until the objects were removed - then both were sick/feverish and developed infections that were treated.

Sorry, not interested in implanting anything under the skin - animal or human... Really hope it doesn't become required...

No problems with the chips here and thousands of animals done. Yes, it is a needle but it is also a "machine" looks a little like a stapler, and that is a standard chipper!

I've had to microchip my dogs when we did their ofa but I wouldn't if given another option. I've seen issues with infection and the chip becoming encapsulated. I've talked to my vets about this and they commented that they have seen cancers in the chipped area which they don't normally see. in my former job I placed a lot of implants like microchips and had a multitude of issues. It's seen as a foreign body and the body reacts.

I understand the concern with pets getting lost and the microchips have helped lots of dogs find their way home but I would proceed with caution. There's other options with identifying horses and I choose to go with those.

I got my mini microchipped at my dogs vet. They just went ahead and used a dog sized one since he is small
default_smile.png

its also a legal requirement in Ireland too, Ive never had a problem , I feel bad having it done to them , especially the foals but its forgotten within minutes

All my horses are chipped rather than branded. It looks neater and costs next to nothing (Around $30.) My dog is done too. But over here in Australia it is mandatory all cats and dogs are done (If not you get fined!)

Latest posts

Back