Michelle Duggar is hvaing 19th child...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm also 100% with MiniV on this one. If you want a herd...and there's nothing wrong with that...I'd love a herd of kids -my house is usually full of teenagers anyhow so I'm already fully prepared lol. So have a herd but why "make more"...I'm not sure what the hang up is over popping them out yourself. Gosh that takes mere hours where raising that child really takes a lifetime. You know how many incredible AWESOME kids are out there in foster homes / orphanages (and not just in the USA) who spend every second of their lives wishing for a family to call their own. I've got a great friend who had adopted from the USA, Korea, India and Africa she has a rainbow of simply adorable children and hasn't added to the worlds population at all and has given an awesome loving home to 4 incredible children who will become the kind of people who will lead us in the future. Before she adopted, she birthed one of her own. She loves them ALL equally there is no difference in how much she loves the adopted kids over the birth son...infact if they weren't different colors...you'd never ever be able to guess
default_biggrin.png

Not judging these folks...gosh I don't even know them but that would be 19 children taken from the system and given a family. I know some agencies wouldn't let you adopt that many...but like that couple murdered a month ago with the huge family of special needs kids...it can be done.

This is straight from their website and explains why they have made the decision that they made. As for the show, its only been on since Oct 2008 as a series. They did several one time shows as the number of children grew. I think they show a wonderful sense of family value, yes you can do that with less kids, but think about your own children and if someone said you should have had less, which one would you give up? As for supporting their family from a TV reality show, just think of the people that support their drug and drinking problems the same way, I would rather give my viewing time to this family.

Jim Bob & Michelle Duggar married July 21st, 1984. At that time, they chose to use the birth control pill. They thought, "We don't want children right now. We can't afford them. We want children in our timing, when we're ready." Four years later they decided to have their first child. Then, Michelle went back on the pill, but she conceived and had a miscarriage. At that point they talked with a Christian medical doctor and read the fine print in the contraceptives package. They found that while taking the pill you can get pregnant and then miscarry. They were grieved! They were Christians! They were pro-life! They realized that their selfish actions had taken the life of their child. They prayed and asked God to forgive them, and to teach them to love children like He loves children. They asked God to bless them with as many children as He saw fit in His timing. Right after that Michelle got pregnant with twins!
Mini Mom NC, I think the facts are wrong. Michelle said, she became pregnant on her wedding night when she was 17 as she says "Jim Bob and I went a little to far' and they had resulting Joshua, who was not a twin, she didnt have twins until later on her marriage, their like maybe 7, I'm not sure.

I have heard the story on one of their tv specials about waiting to have their first child just like the story Mini Mom NC posted.

In any case, children are a heritage from the Lord. I do not believe our planet is overpopulated. The Duggars are doing what they believe God wants them too, and I see nothing in the Bible to contradict what they are doing so I would never say they are wrong to have so many children. I do think it is scary to think of something happening and all those kids being left without a mother but people die from many things and there are no guarantees.

I'm also 100% with MiniV on this one. If you want a herd...and there's nothing wrong with that...I'd love a herd of kids -my house is usually full of teenagers anyhow so I'm already fully prepared lol. So have a herd but why "make more"...I'm not sure what the hang up is over popping them out yourself. Gosh that takes mere hours where raising that child really takes a lifetime. You know how many incredible AWESOME kids are out there in foster homes / orphanages (and not just in the USA) who spend every second of their lives wishing for a family to call their own. I've got a great friend who had adopted from the USA, Korea, India and Africa she has a rainbow of simply adorable children and hasn't added to the worlds population at all and has given an awesome loving home to 4 incredible children who will become the kind of people who will lead us in the future. Before she adopted, she birthed one of her own. She loves them ALL equally there is no difference in how much she loves the adopted kids over the birth son...infact if they weren't different colors...you'd never ever be able to guess
default_biggrin.png

Not judging these folks...gosh I don't even know them but that would be 19 children taken from the system and given a family. I know some agencies wouldn't let you adopt that many...but like that couple murdered a month ago with the huge family of special needs kids...it can be done.

Definitely not judging.........But THANK YOU to miniwhinny for writing an awesome post.

Im pretty disgusted with the people that think the Duggars are "selfish". They are creating life, how in the world could this be selfish.

If you are going to pin your reasoning on the fact that you think they are a drain on world resources, then you ought to give up your expensive fuel consuming hobbies, give up breeding and owning animals and feeding them better than many children get fed.

For goodness sake, its human life we are talking about here people.

Im pretty disgusted with the people that think the Duggars are "selfish". They are creating life, how in the world could this be selfish.
Having a baby IS the most selfish thing a person can do. :p We judge our animals so harshly and deem them worthy or unworthy, but we assume humans have the right to breed at will? Everyone who has a baby has said "I am good enough to create the next generation". Do I really need to bring up the obvious- Octomom? What about people who have a baby even though they're already stretched financially or already on assistance? What about people with diseases that will threaten their lifespan but decide to have babies anyway, knowing full well they probably won't survive beyond the kid's 3rd or 4th birthday? What about people who KNOWINGLY choose to continue a pregnancy where the child has serious handicaps? What about people who have children at 50, 60 or 70? Having babies is an amazingly selfish and arrogant thing to do! But that's an argument for another thread. ;)

Anyway, as long as they're not on welfare and not taking my tax dollar assistance, I see no reason to get in their way. If they're not asking the community to support them, and are contributing, good-souled members of society, live and let live. They *seem* like a fairly decent family. I've seen one season of the show and half wonder if they're doing it not so much for the cash, but as a missionary thing. It does give them an outrageously good soapbox for their brand of Christianity.

Last edited by a moderator:
I, personally, think it is excessive, but they are free to do as they will.

But seriously... is her uterus made of titanium or something? I mean, mine would have long left the building if I even thought about that. Yikes.

And with 18 children, who in the world has time to do any babymaking???

I do think they are weird though. I just can't get on board with the lifestyle. I don't condemn it, I just don't understand a lot of it. And she seriously never raises her voice. How does one do that with 18 children? I would love to have her patience, that's for certain.

Whatever floats your boat ..have at 'r but I guess what went through my mind is how in the world could they afford to put them all through college or university?? I struggle with one paying his tuition as he is going big..(great for him)..what if they all wanted to be doctors or lawyers or vets or something that takes 7 yrs of schooling..yikes!

Kim

I don't have kids, I don't want kids.

The thing to remember is this is TV. They don't show EVERYTHING. There are cuts and edits.

The Duggars have a strong belief in what they are doing. You ask how they can go without yelling at the kids.....perhaps it is just their nature not to raise their voices. Growing up, my parents never had harsh words with any of us. They let us live our lives and grow up learning what we needed to learn. If we did do something very wrong, I'll just say the rod was not spared.

The Duggars have a very strong Christian belief and I think they have raised their children to have strong beliefs as well. Some folks won't understand that not being raised that way but it is possible.

As far as Amusement Parks....I don't think it happens that often. I never went to amusement parks as a kid (no money for it). The other night, he had built a water slide on a hill. He used a huge roll of black plastic stuff and ran water over it. The kids loved it and looked like they had a blast. There are means to entertain and still save money.
default_smile.png
default_wink.png

If you are going to pin your reasoning on the fact that you think they are a drain on world resources, then you ought to give up your expensive fuel consuming hobbies, give up breeding and owning animals and feeding them better than many children get fed.

For goodness sake, its human life we are talking about here people.

Ummmm. There are too many people on the planet, PERIOD! Having two is a fine number (but still too many).

I don't watch the show & until this thread had never even heard of this family! But, if they're supporting themselves, not looking for handouts from the rest of us, I don't have any issue with what they do or how many kids they have. Sounds like they have the TV show because they have the kids, they aren't having the kids because they want the TV show?

I simply cannot imagine having 19 kids....I don't like kids & don't want kids....not my own, nor any adopted ones....but if they can have that many and look after them--then they're welcome to do so IMO.

I sure don't agree that everyone should refrain from having their own kids so that they can adopt children from those that do continue having children--there is just something about that policy that doesn't sit well with me!

I sure don't agree that everyone should refrain from having their own kids so that they can adopt children from those that do continue having children--there is just something about that policy that doesn't sit well with me!
Nobody is saying people shouldn't have birth kids. I think we were saying that at 19 it would be cool to think about adopting the odd one. It's not the kids fault that they are "parentless"...but..I do understand that it takes a very special person with a very large heart of unconditional love to be able to adopt.

Nobody is saying people shouldn't have birth kids.
Sorry, from your words quoted below it seems to me that's exactly what you were saying--instead of having 19 kids they should have adopted 19 kids!

Not judging these folks...gosh I don't even know them but that would be 19 children taken from the system and given a family.
We'll just have to agree to disagree. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with adopting kids, and certainly nothing wrong with the kids that are there for adopting, but whether someone has 1 child, or 3 children or 12 or 19 children--if they choose to produce them all rather than adopt all or any of them, I just don't see anything wrong with that.

I have a book called A Full Quiver that is bibilically based, and supports the way that the Duggers are living.

It is an awesome book, about Family Planning and the Lordship of Christ in the life of a believer written by both Rick and Jan Hess.

In essence the Duggers are trusting God for their family size, and believing in the scripture that states, "Children are a blessing from the Lord".

Noah trusted God much the same way and in 950 years of his life, God only gave him 3 sons. Shem, Ham, and Japheth. So not everyone will have a large family trusting the Lord this way.

There is a Chapter in this book thats called Guess who's not coming to dinner that made me realize that Gods wisdom is so much greater than mans wisdom.

Basically it pointed out how many people would'nt have been born if every one had small controlled family sizes.

George Washington 5th of ten

Thomas Jefferson from a family of ten

Dietrich Bonhoffer the 8th child

Ludwig Van Beethoven 5th

William Steinway- 7th child

Jonathan Edwards 11th child!

Charles Westley number 17!

Charles Finney 7th

Johnathan Edwards 11th

Wolfgang Amadaeus Mozart 7th child

Oswald Chambers 4th of 9 children

Johann Sebastian Bach 8th child!

Bach went on to have 21 children of his own,

all who reached adulthood, became accomplished musicians also.

Space here does not permit the list of famous people that have helped shape and form our past but the list goes on and on.

It is also intresting to note that over 50% of our historical presidents grew up in large families, that most likely helped to mold and shape their self sacrificing values, and charactor in life.

Oh yeah Minimoor...I didn't even realize I'd put that ... of course I'm not advocating they adopt all 19 there's nothing wrong with having your own kids or adopting. Shudda re-read what I wrote hehe.

My mother had 2 kids, and she always said that "if you don't have the money for kids then don't have any at all!". And, she always believed that nobody should "dislike kids". She alwyas tells me that "if you dislike kids, think about it; you were a kid yourself. Some people may have not liked you either. You may have done crazy and stupid things, and you may have screamed and cried too, so, I would not really say anything like that.".

I have to kind of agree with her on that, though.
default_rolleyes.gif

My mother had 2 kids, and she always said that "if you don't have the money for kids then don't have any at all!". And, she always believed that nobody should "dislike kids". She alwyas tells me that "if you dislike kids, think about it; you were a kid yourself. Some people may have not liked you either. You may have done crazy and stupid things, and you may have screamed and cried too, so, I would not really say anything like that.".
I have to kind of agree with her on that, though.
default_rolleyes.gif
Some children are incredibly easy to dislike, as are their parents! Hmm, actually, sometimes the worst thing about some kids are their parents!!
default_laugh.png
Perhaps there were people who disliked me when I was a child, I have no idea, I never noticed. I know there are a few people who dislike me now that I'm no longer a child, and I'm okay with that too
default_biggrin.png
There are those that I'm less than fond of too! There are children I know that are very likeable--they still don't make me wish that I'd ever had any of my own!!

Yeah, but there was no BIRTH CONTROL back then lol and large families were a must as in the case of Johann Sebastian Bach. The 11th son of Johann Sebastian Bach, Christian, was the youngest of his children to live to maturity. That means 10 of Bachs children DIED as children and I bet for the simplest of medical ailments. We've progressed so much more since those days modern medicine and science weren't there like they are today and people frequently never made it to adulthood. They had no choice but to breed like rabbits lol.

By the way talking about 950 year old Noah - this is interesting...did you know that 2000 years BEFORE Noah and his world wide flood there was another - well two in fact. Sumarina writings tell of a world wide flood and there is another flood story in second millennium BC Babylonia. In the Babylonian legend, which is preserved in great detail the hero's name is Utnapishtim. In both of these stories the "heroes" receive a divine warning of an impending flood. It seems their god was also displeased with man and wanted to start afresh and wipe out every living creature but the hero and his chosen family. They were told to build an wooden Ark and take aboard it every living creature in pairs. In the Sumerian and Babylonian accounts birds were sent out after the rains ceased. In all stories the Ark landed in mountainous areas and sacrifices were made to their gods for a safe landing. I find it fascinating how these stories get passed down and used again.

Bach and his children that reached maturity brought wonderful music into this world no matter how long they lived.

Its not the quanity of life that should count, but the quality offered.

None the less, one can not offer any quality to life without given the oppurtunity.

As far as the bible is concerned, it has stood on its own merit,

and will continue to do so through out time, aside of other writings.

Back