Micheal Vick signed w the Eagles

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zoey829

Reaction score
I live in the Philadelphia area. I was a huge Eagles fan. Now I am fuming. I am so mad I cant believe. There are a lot of good plllayers why him? I know he served his time but I wdont think this is a good move. I am really upset!

If Michael Vick is truly sorry and he did serve his prison term, then I think it's okay. Everybody makes mistakes, now granted this was a pretty big one but I know I've made mistakes and I wouldn't want people to hold them against me forever. We all deserve forgiveness.

I'm a football fan. I'm not much of him as a QB or a man. But I really don't see what the big honking deal is.

And he's one of the better players. Are you kidding? It's Vick, who is a decent starting QB. He makes bad choices at times with how to handle the ball (I swear the guy wants to be an RB) but he's better then most of the rest of the starting QBs in the league.

He fought dogs.

He didn't molest kids, beat his women or kill people. Not drunk driving. Not doing drugs. Not carrying around guns shooting himself in the leg at night clubs. Not testing positive for weed 3 times in a row.

Nope. Dog fighting. I mean, really? Seriously? And people want him tossed out of the league and branded for life? He did 18 months. In my opinion, it was a suitable punishment, not a slap on the wrist, which has now been served and he is entitled for his life to continue without further drama.

Honestly I think Vick got caught up in the lifestyle. I think he's gotten a cold hard come to Jesus slap, and he's going to fly straight. Someone like Plexico Burress isn't and needs to get thrown out of the league. And Stallworth, who KILLED SOMEONE, definatly needs more then 30 days and a year suspension!

Having lived in Virginia, I have followed his career...long before he was a convicted felon. He was always arrogant and got into a lot of trouble. I don't think that will change and I think the Eagles will come to regret signing him on.

I am torn as to how I feel. I think what he did was dispicable. There is nothing in my life other than family / husband that has brought me more joy than dogs. He has to be a very bad person to have done what he did. On the other hand, he did serve his punishment so in a way I think he should be allowed to play football again. I think he can kiss any endorsement deals goodbye, though, along with most potential fans.

I am disappointed they are letting him play again. The Steelers were considering picking him up, I am so glad they didn't.

And yes, there are alot of players out there that shouldn't have the luxury of playing.

I'm an Eagles fan. I'm not happy that they picked him up. I could write a book about how I feel about what he did with those dogs etc...etc.....but suffice to say I won't be rooting the Eagles on this year...or until Vick is no longer in Philly. They may have just been dogs, but they are God's creatures and did not asked to be put in that situation. Not only was that despicable, but barbaric.

I from and still in Hampton Roads, where Vick originated. His house where the dog kennels were maintained is about 45 miles from me. His involvement with the dog fighting and the actual abuse and killing of these dogs is totally NOT acceptable to me. That said, he was sentenced and served.

His profession is football, where else would he go? I mean if it was your farrier, do you think he wouldn't go back to shoeing when he got out? It's what they know, do, live. To say that I have no respect for Vick goes without saying. His days of endorsements are over for a long, long time, IMO. But, I don't even watch football and could care less. Now, if he had applied for a job at the local animal shelter -- different story!
default_wink.png
His wife and kids should be careful.

By next season this will have blown over and the team will recover from any negative issues for the hire, provided he stays out of trouble....which his probation requires anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
I understand he did his time and he is going back to what he needs to do. But jail time doesnt mean he is sorry. I am upset the Eagles signed him. There are a lot of good players to sign. We all make mistakes but this wasnt a a one day one time mistake. It was a continuing thing with no empathy. A lot of good people loose thier jobs with no fault of thier own and find other professions. I want players with ethics. We wonder why peopple have the morels they do. We are showing kids that winning is more important then morels. One of my favorite expressions is, "you can determine a good person by what they do when no one is looking". I think the Eagels should give it time and review his actions before signing him. Just because you did jail time doesnt mean you are sorry. What about team moral? I wouldnt want to work with someone who did that to an animal. Sorry if you dont agree any animal cruelity makes me sick!

I think the Eagles had every right to hire him and I think the jerk has every right to go back to playing football - BUT quite honestly I wish for the worst for him and as for the Eagles, I sure hope they lose "business" over the decision. I'm not into the NFL but if I were into the Eagles, I wouldn't be now! I doubt the man is all that sorry that he took part in what he took part in - only probably sorry that it's against the law and he got caught and punished. If you're willing to engage in something that awful I have a hard time believing that you're truly going to feel sorry about it later.

Die hard Steelers fan here. If the Steelers had picked him up I would have been POed. I dont understand the comments of " he only fought dogs" He KILLED dogs... Since when is that OK? Guy is an butthole and shouldnt be playing.

The news just said people are listing thier Egale tickets on craigslist. They dont want to be part of it. What has he done to show remurse? A friend of ours took a vacation to the place where those dogs went for rehabilitation. He said it was a disgrace and he wont forget the looks on those dogs face. It is just making me so upset.

I am now and have always been a huge football fan!!

I think the Eagles have made a mistake all the way around. The talk is going to kill their reputation, and Vick as a quarterback will do the same on the field, wins losses. If he threw the ball as well as his tongue threw words, he'd already been in the HOF with 10 times more passing yards than any other QB in the history of the game! But I have never seen TALK win a game. The only thing the man EVER had going for him, was those tight pants back in his younger days. JMO

I believe all PRO athletes should be held to a higher standard, most I have heard talk say the same.

So ALL pro athletes, no matter the sport, should be treated the same.

If Pete Rose will never be in the HOF for gambling, Vick shouldn't be allowed within 700 miles of a football field, let alone play on one.

Again, JMO

I look at it this way...if I were to be convicted of a felony (regardless of what it was for) I would loose my job and never be able to be hired by my employeer again...I'm sure that holds true for most employers...I think the same should hold true for the NFL...they should be held to at least the same standard.

Sonya,

I hadn't thought of it that way until I read what you said. That is actually a very good point. I couldn't keep my licensing if I were convicted of a felony or even things a lot more minor! With sports professionals, they become role models to so many young kids and I agree -- they should be held to some kind of professional standard.

Jill

Not carrying around guns shooting himself in the leg at night clubs
Too bad he didn't carry a gun and shoot himself in the leg...or somewhere! That would have been preferable to what he did to those dogs.
Watching him on the news last night, when he was saying he was sorry...I had to wonder....is he sorry for what he did, or is he simply sorry that it caused him so much trouble?? Now is saying sorry because it's the right thing to say?

I think dogfighting (and killing dogs) is something that's going to be very hard for him (and the Eagles) to overcome. I suspect the team may come to regret hiring him. Choices have consequences.

If Philadelphia Eagles fans are anything like Portland Trailblazer fans, management may soon regret what they've done.

Since their inception, the Blazers had a tradition of drafting players as much for character as playing ability. The team was considered family by the community, and even during less than stellar seasons, every game was sold out.

Then new owner Paul Allen decided he wanted a championship at any cost (the Blazers' one title came before his time), and the team proceeded to draft and trade for some very questionable characters.

Instead of news stories about community involvement, we were treated to stories of drug busts, drunk driving, statutory rape, and much more -- generally disgusting behavior. The pride of Portland became the "Jailblazers."

Their popularity dropped drastically, as did their ticket sales. Allen threatened to move the team, but somehow he miraculously had a change of heart. He fired the G.M. traded the offenders and replaced them with players Portlanders could respect.

The fans came back...and they are doing much better than they did in their ill-advised quest for wins at all cost. Paul Allen learned that Portland's fan base is extremely loyal, but it has to be earned

I hope Philadelphia fans put their money where their collective mouths are and tell Eagles management how they feel in a manner that will truly hurt them -- money.

By the way...

There was one Jailblazer during those dark years who was too bad even for Allen and company --

When Blazer Qyntel Woods was arrested for -- you guessed it -- dog fighting, they immediately dumped his sorry butt.

(Sadly, the Miami Heat had no such scruples; they immediately signed him, and he was allowed to shirk his sentence of community service with the Humane Society.)

Oh I'm sure he is "very sorry" for what he is done, with the millions hanging in the balance "sarcasim"

He should have gotten what Tanya Harding did a banning for life from the sport. But then he is/was a bit richer than her and money can get you off. It sure helped OJ

So true if I was convicted I would loose my liscene too. I cant belive how winning is placed abouve personal morals. I dont think Eagle fans are forgiving> I think this will be a regretable decision!

Not carrying around guns shooting himself in the leg at night clubs
Too bad he didn't carry a gun and shoot himself in the leg...or somewhere! That would have been preferable to what he did to those dogs.
Watching him on the news last night, when he was saying he was sorry...I had to wonder....is he sorry for what he did, or is he simply sorry that it caused him so much trouble?? Now is saying sorry because it's the right thing to say?

I think dogfighting (and killing dogs) is something that's going to be very hard for him (and the Eagles) to overcome. I suspect the team may come to regret hiring him. Choices have consequences.

Oh, I'm sure he's just sorry he got caught, not sorry for what he did. And if he KNEW he wouldn't get caught, he'd do it again.

But I've always wondered: WHY do we expect people in the limelight to be "role models"? They didn't get their job because they had great character, they got their job because they had great talent. It's not really fair to demand that they suddenly become this sterling example of humanity and lead these flawless personal lives. One of my wisest things my dad ever told me is, "Just because they're famous doesn't mean they're a nice person."

Latest posts

Back