Methods of height prediction

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have always used the cannon bone, middle of the knee to hairline on hoof, times 4 plus 2. All mine to maturity have been within oh, 1/2 inch of measurement. I have even done some of my adults, and figured them, and then measured them and they were indeed accurate.

Thanks everyone! I'am really greatful for this information.

According to the lower leg method De De will mature at 34"....flat. So Should I give a height guarantee or not? Everyone is saying this is accurate within 1/2". So it would be a gamble for me???? Right? She could be 33 1/2" to 34 1/2"? Do I understand that correctly?

Charlotte

I think the cannon bone measurement is fairly accurate (although not foolproof!)

The cannon bone does not really grow after birth.

If you compare the length of the cannon bone (middle of knee to middle of fetlock joint) to a mature horse that the foal should mature to, you will see they are the same length. This works for horses of any size, mini to big!

As to your horse, with minis measuring 1/4" for accuracy... I'm not sure I would give a height guarantee. 34" flat is such a subjective height, really, the way minis are measured... on cold days with a long hoof and such...

Andrea

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back