metamucil how much and how often??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zoey829

Reaction score
I sold a pair of foals and the lady has a lot of sand. Her vet recommended metamucil. She wasnt sure if this was correct and unsure how much and how often??? He is not a mini vet and wanted to get the best idea, thanks

Lea,

I was told at New Bolton to give two tablespoon per mini once a day, for a week every month.

However, we are VERY sandy here, so I give it for a week then a week off, then repeat. In the winter, I do it only one week a month because the ground is frozen.The minis love the orange flavor. Its like candy. NO waste like with Sand Clear. Walmart brand is the cheapest so far. I never buy the brand name, too expensive.

Robin

We live in Florida where its pretty sandy. My vet recomends for adult minis 1/4 cup 3 times a week. I do M-W-F. Walmart brand orange flavor, they lick it up, but not the sugar free they wont eat it. Kathy

Thanks. Do you think that does is ok for foals???

I feed it to all. Pregnant, weanlings etc. I guess you could ask your vet about doses for weanlings, but as long as everyone is in good weight they eat out of a feed bunker with a hay rack on top.So they all eat together.

We live in Florida where its pretty sandy. My vet recomends for adult minis 1/4 cup 3 times a week. I do M-W-F. Walmart brand orange flavor, they lick it up, but not the sugar free they wont eat it. Kathy

THAT is exactly what my vet recommended for my big horses. I gave the same stuff, orange flavored from Walmart. Nothing like orange horse lips!
default_smile.png
And they got it 3 times a week. Glad to know you can do it for mini's too.

I give it for a 7 day run each month, and yes, 2 large tablespoons, or 1 -1oz scoop (same measurement). It is roughly an ounce per 150-200 pounds (I am not too stingy with it, even with the foals).

Carolyn

When we used to use metamucil (sp) we gave them 1 tbsp every other day as told by a friend

all year long now we switched back to sand clear no specific reason I think both worked well

I have had a few horses with gas over the last few years and have been wondering if it is the metamucil? Has anyone else noticed any gas problems... you know like a gas colic?

Metamucil versus sand clear? Your opinions would be apprectiated.

Thanks!

Robin

Latest posts

Back