Metal loops on carriage

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sarah Poole

Reaction score
Hello again,

I cant figure out the metal loops on my carriage.
I thought the one closest to the carriage itself was for the breeching strap but it seems far too far forward for that.

If it is for that purpose.
What is the other loop for?

Look forward to some answers :)
Thank you

Attachments

• IMG-20190206-WA0011.jpeg
    IMG-20190206-WA0011.jpeg
    78.7 KB · Views: 13
The one closest to the seat of your cart is for your breeching and the one in the bend of your shaft is for the shaft loop to go through, or you can run the over girth buckle through it. Provided that your shaft loops hang nice and straight down if they are attached at this point. Otherwise I would not run the them through it.

The footmans loop, that the breeching goes to, should be forward on the shafts so that you will have a nice straight line from the breeching ring to the shaft. Here is a blog post I wrote about properly adjusted breeching. Maybe it will help!

https://theessentialhorse.com/2018/11/08/breeching/

Fab thanks for your reply.

This is what I thought the loops were for and how ive used them but when I took the time to look at the cart balance and look at the whole cart rhey struck me as very close together.

My harness doesn't have an overgirth. Instead it has a strap either side under the tugs on the girth that I usually bring up and wrap around that metal loop.
I think in the US you call them wrap straps??
Ive looked online and on YouTube to see if that is correct but can't find anything about wrap straps specifically.
Does the front metal loop go Infront of the tugs or behind them?

Many thanks again

I double checked my breeching yesterday and the ring seems to hang in the stifle in the correct position etc but the actual breeching around his bottom looks more slack than in your pictures.
I shall try get some photos of it when I next drive him so you can see what I mean

Whether the metal loop can be in front of the shaft loops or behind them will depend on where they hang straight. If you need to run behind them to have that line up then that's what you'll have to do. But ideally the shaft loops should be in front of the shaft stop, which the loop is kind of acting as right now.

Yes we call your girth configuration a wrap strap style. We typically wrap these in a figure of eight style wrap. I know I saw a how to for that somewhere! I'll have to try to find it. If the wrap strap isn't long enough for a figure of eight then just wrapping it around the shafts once or twice is sufficient.

Here is a blog post I wrote about the saddle. Maybe there is some info there that is helpful!
https://theessentialhorse.com/2018/06/10/the-saddle/

You have been so helpful! Thankyou so much.

Going to spend lots of time adjusting it all until I can get the best fit posisble

I love that you are thinking about his comfort :) It will make it so much more enjoyable for both of you!!

He is honestly the best pony I've ever owned. I broke him to drive myself and he is my first time breaking to harness.

He's a truly special pony so his comfort is paramount. I'd hate to put him off.

I'd love the lower single seat style carriage for him that seems better for off road as we love to go on trails but buying it and getting it to Spain is sadly far beyond my budget :(

Latest posts

Back