Met the haflinger tonight

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yankee_minis

Reaction score
She is pretty! 13.3 hands and well-rounded LOL (She weighs over 1000 probably.) She's 14 and likes carrots. (I brought a bag special for her.) She wiggles her lips a lot and reminds me of Mr. Ed when he's talking. She has personality.

She is trained to drive and is green broke to ride.

Her price is right...they're giving her away....and driving her would be sooooo awesome (even hubby agrees to that!)

She is well taken care of and the owners are very nice. They drive a lot and even have a Gypsy filly that they imported. (drooling)

Hmmmm... I hate to look a gift horse in the mouth, but she's a lot bigger than I expected. And she feels more like a full sized horse than a pony.... hubby is seeing dollar bills fly out the window...

sigh...nothing is ever easy...decisions decisions decisions

So what do you think???

Well, if you're interested, there's a free haflinger available in Maine! I won't be taking her. It's a shame, but the timing isn't good. Maybe some day!

When you are used to minis, Haflingers seem HUGE. LOL

What you are describing sounds like the 'classical' style Haflinger (of which mine is one)... the modern style is more Hackneyish, and thinner. Haflingers usually range in the 12 to 14.5 hand areas. It's the girth size that makes the classicals seem so huge. Make no mistake they are POWERFUL. The classics tend to resemble mini Belgians. Also, if you are only used to feeding minis, feeding a Haflinger will be a bit of a 'culture' shock. They eat the same as a full-sized horse as a rule, although they do tend to be easy keepers. Tack is also very expensive, unless your benefactors are throwing in a free harness too, that will cost considerably more than the average mini harness.

Not trying to dissuade you, Haflingers are great. Just want to help you avoid the shock, and possibly dissappointment of coming to realize this stuff after you have her home.

I can honestly say I'm interested, because she would match Harley for a hitch team, I'm in PA. Could you let know the info in a pm.

Latest posts

Back