Met one of my new neigbors today...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SWA

Reaction score
Hi,

I just got back from checking things over at our new place. They finished the new fireplace finally, and I wanted to get pics of it. So I drove out there, being that I can drive again now.
aktion033.gif

As I was heading down our road just another 100 yards to go to the house...and out lofts this guy again!
new_shocked.gif

OH MY GOSH!!!! Right smack in front of me. I stopped to blink my eyes to make sure it wasn't the BIGGEST DOG I ever did see!

NOPE....it was HIM AGAIN!!!!

At least I think it was the same one...
wacko.gif

He stopped cold, same time as me, and we both just "stayed put" for the longest time! Then he turned he head, kinda turned around and then just stood there and faced dead at me again. I thought for sure he was gonna charge, but he just stood there, like he was surely thinking on it.

I fumbled for my camera, I was shaking in my boots (ok...tennies), and I finally got it turned on, and started snapping pics as fast as I get my fingers to cooperate.

The doggone time delay between frames took too long, so I only got these 3 before he finally decided to "purtee as ya please" loft off into the wood thick. He moved so slow as if he was daring me to take a step toward him to follow.

Nope, I'm not EVEN that brave!
unsure.gif

Thankfully, I was in my truck, so I rolled the window back up and rolled forward a bit to see if he was still there on the side of the road, but he was either gone or I just couldn't see him in the thick.

THen I came around the bend, which was right behind where he had JUST come out of before stepping in front of me in the roadway...

and OH MY GOSH!!!!!

There was about 4 or 5 little kids setting on the corner of the roadway, playing with their litter of puppies.

I FREAKED!!!! I quickly hopped out, and helped them gather all the puppies and hollered for their mom and dad to help me get their kids into their house.

Oh my gosh. They must have thought I was a loonie the way I was carrying on. Anyways, they didn't believe me at my word till I remembered my camera and I had just taken the pics. So I showed them, and they thanked me said the kids are in for the night.

WHEW!!!! Well, then I calmed down and made it up to the house, and got my pics of the fireplace and now I'm back home.
wacko.gif

Plumb wore out after that all adrenaline!
rolleyes.gif

Anwways, I'll post the pics as soon as I get them uploaded here in a bit.

He's a big boy too! Even down on all fours, he stood a good 4 feet high! After I was able to calm down and look at the pics from my camera again, I see that he's wearing a tracking collar. So at least the Rangers out there "must" be aware that he's there. But, he sure is a BOLD one, coming right up so near the houses out there like that.
ohmy.gif

Well...let me try to get the pics loaded up here so you can meet "my new neighbor".
unsure.gif

Ok, here they are. I'm so sorry they are kind of dark. I was too nervous to even think of trying the flash, and this happened just before dusk. I hope you can see these.

Oh, and directly behind him there, down at their gate there, that little white spec there at the gate, is one of the puppies their kids were playing with. There's also a little black one standing next to it, but it may be too dark to really see.

Bear1.jpg

Right at that bend is where the kids were setting with those puppies, right there next to the roadway.
new_shocked.gif
Then just around that bend, and then down about a 100 yards is our place.

Bear2.jpg

Then, here he is as he's slowly slothing off into the thick....just purtee as ya please.
unsure.gif

Bear3.jpg

Well...that's m'new neighbor....
saludando.gif

cold.gif

Is that a bear?????? Is that a real dad gum bear??????? You got a bear???????

OH man............oh man oh man............
ohmy.gif
ohmy.gif
ohmy.gif
ohmy.gif
ohmy.gif
ohmy.gif
ohmy.gif

You better be glad that he ain't no Tennessee bar........cause iffin he was a Tennessee bar he'd have cuzins........
wink.gif

Marty said:
Is that a bear??????  Is that a real dad gum bear??????? You got a bear???????
OH man............oh man oh man............
ohmy.gif

ohmy.gif

ohmy.gif

ohmy.gif

ohmy.gif

ohmy.gif

ohmy.gif

You better be glad that he ain't no Tennessee bar........cause iffin he was a Tennessee bar he'd have cuzins........
wink.gif

476710[/snapback]

YEPSIRREEEBUB!!!!
yes.gif

THE REAL DEAL!!!!!
new_shocked.gif

Oh, and I'm not sure if he's the same one we saw last week, or if'n he's already got him a whole heapin' mess of "Fleriduh Cracker Cuzzins".
ohmy.gif

What an impressive sight! Must not have been looking for lunch...at first when i was reading it I thought it was a strange man! I didn't get it till I saw the pics
biggrin.gif

YIKES!!!! I am TERRIFIED of bears, and this year especially, around here, they are brave, and many attacks have been reported.
cold.gif

Oh my gosh
new_shocked.gif
Tanya, maybe you should give the Florida wildlife officials a phone call and let them know how brave this guy's getting. To be that close to kids, while they're playing, I can't even imagine. And since he's got a collar, they'd be able to track him down pretty easy. I know that kids aren't quiet while they play, especially with puppies, and it scares me to think of what might've happened if you hadn't come along when you did
no.gif

Stay safe!!
yes.gif

OMG! That's a pic for the local paper there. What kind of fencing is going to keep him away from your minis?

Did you check your pants after all of that? Thank goodness you stopped and told those people! Sad to think but alot of people wouldn't have done that.

God bless

Fran

I hope you don't mind I lightened it up and OMG!

donkey1.jpg

I am sure he must have looked four feet tall but my guess is about thirty inches at the shoulder and about two hundred to two hundred and fifty pounds. Now the bad part. Being young and stupid he will be the most likely candidate to cause trouble. Young male bears are on the bottom of the totem pole and mature bears do not allow them to stick around. If he has staked out your area as his territory he will not be easy to motivate to move on. Female bears unless in a park like area are rarely seen out and about especially mature females with cubs. I would voice your concerns with your local game warden. The fact he is wearing a collar indicates he has been relocated there because he created problems someplace else. Bear proof garbage cans are quite pricey. Bear proof fencing mostly consists of heavy duty electric fencing but it will not be one hundred percent effective. I would just look at this as another challenge bears are really common in many areas of the country these days and other people exist in bear areas. Good luck.

Now if that happened to me, I would have never thought about the camera, would just have a story to tell and ya know no one would believe me on that one just another fish tale, good thing you did take your camera. "Where's a cam-corder when ya need one."
biggrin.gif

Jeepers! Those kids and puppies are so lucky you happened along when you did!

Is that bear wearing a collar?

I agree with Geese. You need to contact the wildlife warden of your area. I love to see wildlife and would have scared my mother to death if that had been me, as I would have wanted to get a "really" good picture.
new_shocked.gif
No, I'm not completely nuts, I know those guys can really move if they want to, and I would have a place to go quickly..

His wearing a collar is NOT a good sign. Being that close to people, and children at that, not good.
no.gif
no.gif

The game warden may be able to just relocate your new neighbor a bit farther out in the country.

Robin

Good Grief!
new_shocked.gif
You sure caught me off guard......I WAS EXPECTING A DOG!!!!

MA

The down side of the situation for the bear is that there are really no suitable places left for them to be relocated to. There are many areas of the country that support any number of bears in close proximity to humans, horses and even cities. But bears being bears tend to reproduce and the young males just go places and do things which get them into life threatening (for them) situations. Once an animal has demonstrated its attitude there is little that can be done beyond putting it down.

???Well thats one neighbor that will wake u up!! It is amazing any are left but florida does still have its share of wildlife. In the last few years I have seen with my own eyes coyotes wild in sumter, hernando, pasco, hillsborough and even in pinellas county which is pretty much 1 big subdivision. We are the next county to u and there are bear sightings all around us. Several of our friends have found the bears walking up their driveways or even roads. Dont know if u get the orlando tv stations at the new place but u will see they have bears on the news about once a week. Seems the bears are making themselves right at home in subdivisions and come in garages and on porches to help themselves to garbage. So please keep an eye out for him/them and maybe get a couple BIG dogs to watch the place and u all.

Yikes!!

What Geese said is very true!

I hope he doesn't cause you any problems those single teenage boys can be very naughty bears!!!!!!!!!! Or just bears being bears!

My frined was camping in NH in August and had a bear hang out at their tentsite,
ohmy.gif
ohmy.gif
ohmy.gif
, she said camping lost its appeal a little for her
smile.gif

Thank God you were there to warn those little kids, that is scary!

That bear needs to find himself a good woman and leave you alone
wink.gif

Hey there...sorry to sorta drift away there the past few days. I didn't mean to ignore everyone's postings...it's just been a "bear" of a time for us lately.
unsure.gif

Ok...that was a weak pun.
biggrin.gif

Actually though...it has been a doozy of a past couple days nonetheless.
wacko.gif

Anyways...

Thanks to all the great advice. Hubby has made mention of this fellow to the local rangers out there. To my knowledge he hasn't moseyed around lately, but then, we're not moved out there yet to know the "day to day" goings on of the town. We are hoping he does decide to move on.
sad.gif

One question I wanted hubby to ask the rangers when he was talking to them, but he forgot. Do bears hybernate (sp?) in Florida? Do any of you know?

If so, what are the general time periods for that?

Thanks so much, again for all the great advice so far.
smile.gif

We took my MIL to northern Ontario hiking in Algonquin Park a couple of years ago. It was in the Fall and the leaves were spectacular and all she could talk about was what if a bear came after us because it was their big feeding time before the hibernate and if it was a black bear they say don't run, don't climb a tree and don't play dead so what could we possibly do??
new_shocked.gif
On and on the whole time we were hiking!!! She finally, in her shrill little voice asked me "Aren't you scared of the bears??" and I said "Nope, I don't have to outrun the bear just you or Mark and I am pretty sure I can outrun you!!!"
biggrin.gif
She was really quiet after that, maybe a bit pouty faced but peacefully quiet!!!
wink.gif

Latest posts

Back