Meet the Onsager flock: lots of pics

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lovinarabs

Reaction score
Had some fun this morning, since we're stuck at home anyway, taking pictures of the chickens hiding out in the barn and coop. Some of these are chicks we raised and others are chickens that were given to us. We don't know the breeds on many of them. Any guesses?

The first is Squirt. Our little orphan chick that we got from a breeder. He was giving us some other banty chickens and said, “Do you want a baby chick too? The mother hatched this one and I am getting rid of her. I don’t have time for a chick.†We said sure and his daughter had been holding this little chick her hand. She handed it over and Squirt became ours. We raised her up in a cardboard box until she was big enough to go in with our chicks. Even though she was a good 2 weeks younger she held her own and has been a part of the flock ever since. She is really cool looking. Hard to see in the picture, but she does have a crown of feathers on her head. I think she might be a silkie cross?

8857616_348.ts1172852485298.jpg

The second picture is Squirt with Valiant, a little silkie cross rooster.

8857664_348.ts1172852567397.jpg

Then the hens. First you see one of the 8 araucana hens. They are all very different colored from nearly gray to nearly black.

8857620_348.ts1172852492805.jpg

Then Fluffy, she is some sort of feather footed cochin. You can see the rear of one of the buff orpingtons in that shot.

8857652_348.ts1172852537777.jpg

There are some New Hampshire Reds, but they were camera shy. Marshmallow, no idea on breed.

8857659_348.ts1172852553960.jpg

Pheasant (because we think she looks like a pheasant) no idea on her breed either!

8857662_348.ts1172852560909.jpg

The next is our Sumatra rooster, we call him Tall Tail or TT. I LOVE that guy!

8857670_348.ts1172852580233.jpg

Then Bald Butt, when we got him he must have been low man on the totem pole because all of his tail feathers had been pecked off. He now has a beautiful tail, but the name stuck. I think he is a dark brahma, but not sure.

8857626_348.ts1172852502943.jpg

This was our "free rare breed chick" that we got with our chick order last fall. No idea on his breed either.

8857646_348.ts1172852528413.jpg

This last picture is totally for fun. Everytime someone asks me, “What’s up?†I always tell them, “A chicken’s butt when it’s eatin’.†So often that a friend’s husband actually sent me a link to a t-shirt that said, “What up? Chicken butt.†Fluffy’s butt!

8857654_348.ts1172852544603.jpg

I think Marshmellow is a Cornish type...maybe a White laced red cornish? The head style and legs say cornish type. The feather pattern is a type of lacing.

Pheasant looks like either a Black Star(which is a commercial layer type cross of barred rock/rhode island red that lays brown eggs) or she might be a white egg layer and then could be a Brown leghorn...the hens have pheasant type markings and a peachy samon feathers on the front.

It's been a long time since I identified breeds so I could be wrong. Kinda fun to remember the types.

If you go to mcmurrayhatchery.com you can look up breeds. When I raised 4-h chickens years ago...we looked at their catalog alot. They carry alot of rare breeds.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ahhh chickens! :bgrin :aktion033: Your little Squirt looks to have some Old English Game in her....the poof on her head can be some kind of cross...Silky, Polish...etc.... Marshmallow definitely looks like a cross with Cornish, that body typ is unmistakable....could it be Cornish and Rhode Island red? Bald Butt...dark Brahma...yep my guess too and your free rare breed...could he be Columbian Rock? Just my guesses. So many interbred chickens that nowadays it's kinda hard to tell. Your guys look very healthy!

I'm gonna be ordering some chicks within the next week or so
default_wacko.png
: ...and I said I would'nt!!....I love love love the Cochins...and will probably get the standard sized ones along with some other brown egg layers.

Oh and I was crusin the internet the other night and found this link to a hatchery in MO....I've never heard of them before...they're family owned and called "Cackle Hatchery" :bgrin . Here's the link...they have alot of "real" bird links so you can compare them ...not just drawings.

Cackle Hatchery

th_Picture200.jpg

Here is our lastest crop of bantums. I just love my chickens and they help keep the mosquitoes away:)

I think Marshmellow is a Cornish type...maybe a White laced red cornish? The head style and legs say cornish type. The feather pattern is a type of lacing.

Pheasant looks like either a Black Star(which is a commercial layer type cross of barred rock/rhode island red that lays brown eggs) or she might be a white egg layer and then could be a Brown leghorn...the hens have pheasant type markings and a peachy samon feathers on the front.
I think Pheasant may be a white egg layer because it looks like she had white ear lobes.

Oh and I was crusin the internet the other night and found this link to a hatchery in MO....I've never heard of them before...they're family owned and called "Cackle Hatchery" :bgrin . Here's the link...they have alot of "real" bird links so you can compare them ...not just drawings.

Cackle Hatchery
The feedstore here has used that hatchery.

I got my chicks from McMurry.

Back