Meet Sable's new friend....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Minimor

Reaction score
I got this little cutie off the local freecycle board! We had a little house dog--a poodle/dachshund/? mix--named Penny that was a super little dog, but we lost her to old age several years ago & haven't found anyone to replace her in all this time. So, when the posting came up for Mya late last Saturday night, I e-mailed right away, then called as early as was reasonable on Sunday morning. No one had spoken for her yet, so I did. She was quite a distance away, but as luck would have it the people were delivering papers to Brandon in the wee small hours of Wednesday morning, so I arranged to meet them in town at 5 am that morning. The fellow called me at 4:15 to say he'd meet me in the Timmie's lot rather than at the paper sorting station downtown.

So, here she is on her first day at her new home here with us:

IMG_1797.JPG

IMG_1798.JPG

She is supposed to be a poodle/terrier cross, but I think the terrier part is just a guess! She was found as a stray young puppy, so they'd have no way of knowing what cross she is. The poodle, of course, is obvious. she's 2 years old & spayed. She is loving it here with us. She runs and runs and runs--doesn't like to be caught and has absolutely NO recall, but I think that will come once she is here awhile & learns that she always gets to run around. she was a town dog before & I imagine that she didn't get enough exercise, and when she did get loose she learned how not to be caught again! She doesn't try to go anywhere, she just stays around where we're at, but won't let herself be caught. She did a bit better this morning & came up to be petted a few times. It takes a bit of coaxing to get her into the house at times--this morning she grabbed a treat out of my right hand while my left hand was pushing the door shut, and she made it out the door with her treat. Arg. So, I left her out there a little while & then she was happy to come in.

she is pretty good with cats but likes to chase them some if they run from her--so that needs work. Dogs are not allowed to chase cats here! Of course that will improve too as I do some obedience work with her, or at least it better. She has learned about horses--our Shetland really goes for her & last night one of the two year old minis really took after her, and so today she is staying away from the corrals.

As for Sable, she thinks it's great to have a little dog to play with! Of course she is a great lumbering pup compared to quick little Mya--once she tried to pounce on Mya, but Mya ducked away & Sable ended up mashed on her face in the dirt, paws going every which way. She did look pretty silly! Sable is 16 weeks old now & is starting to bark if there are noises that she cannot identify in the night.....she has this GREAT BIG BARK that sounds like it comes from a much older, bigger dog. Once she's mature, she should be impressive as a watch dog.
default_biggrin.png

IMG_1763.JPG

She is just adorable! And you are lucky to have found each other.

Everytime I hear the name Mya I think of Eight Below......

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the forum Mya!! She is a cutie...love her dark ears. But I especially love your sable GSD. GSDs are my favorite as we have 4 but they are all red and black. Im sure they will grow to be best buddies..good luck!! Heidi

Awww she is a cutie...and look at that smile! I've got to say that little Sable is growing up to be an impressive young lady! Gotta love those big pups at their lanky stages!
default_wub.png

Latest posts

Back