Medically challenged mini, quantity over quality.....when do you say enough?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carolyn R

Reaction score
I am not looking for any miracle cures and in all honesty, I am not going to put endless funds into a horse that isn't responding favorably to treatment, just wondering when you have all said "okay, enough".

I am all for a horse that pulls through, heck, if there's a situation and they can overcome it, so be it...., but I am beginning to get to the quality v/s quantity delema with my remaining mini mare. She began having laminitis issues over two months ago. Initially it seemed to be shoulder stiffness, so naturally, with the harsh winter we had, I assumed it was ice/ snow related. It has been two steps forward one step back since then. She showed improvement, I'd turn her out, she would regress, it was back to stall rest, we played this tug o war for awhile. I expected once the weather broke she would be able to manage more easily (it was an exceptionally long, cold, snowy winter here).

The weather broke, milder temps came, she actually got worse, significantly worse.....took her into the vet, had bloodwork done.. Keep in mind, she is actually at a very nice weight, but the results came back that she had insulin issues, thyroid issues and cushings! While the Cushings is not advanced at this point, she is still very sore. She is on thyroid meds, Metformin for the insulin issues and bute. I have been doing ice pack wraps on her feet, have thick bedding and have done the foam boards for the feet (depending on the bedding, this is a catch 22, if the bedding is really deep the foam boards pitch her feet too far forward and cause more harm than help). If any of you have gone this route, at what point did you see results? Her feet are, for the most part, now cool to the touch, but as I said the pain remains. While she is not thrashing in pain like a colic situation, ( which would not occur in this situation unless there were ulcer issues from the meds) this is no type of life, living in a stall for days, weeks, months on end. I am beyond frustrated with the fact that she can't go on the dry lot because it is too hard, she can't be on grass, and I was hoping to see results.

Sorry for the long post, just wondering how long it took to see relief for those that have been there. Oh, and her feed....just enough grain to get her meds into her, hay, and soaked hay cubes and oil to keep her hydrated and lubed up, nothing that is a red flag.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going through the same thing with a mare. Lots of issues, she has good days, but near enough of them; so I'm in that same boat.

I base all my decisions on the quality of life for the animal. I try and figure out what the best case scenario is for the animal and try and determine what their quality of life is going to be like. I always try and remember that it's not about me but about them and what they need and sometimes they need me to be the strong one for them.

Sounds like you guys understand and know where I am going with this....I just needed to know what is a realistic timeframe to give the meds to do their job. Thanks for understanding and not being judgmental.

There really isn't a time frame since all horses are individuals with how they deal with these sort of issues. It takes time to turn-around laminitis, it takes time to control Cushings once on the meds. My mare is a trooper, but that doesn't mean she should have to put up with these issues every day without truly seeing a light at the end of the tunnel. Her issues seem to be piling up; Cushing's, laminitis, arthritis and there might be more that we haven't discovered.
I also have a gelding with Cushing's, he's on the meds, and doing very well; we had a minor set-back last fall, but he's bounced back and I may even get him back in harness this summer (he's trained, and I haven't had a chance to drive him, as he's been sick off and on since I got him; finally getting a handle on it and he's doing well).

My little mare is going thru the same thing. She has been locked up for 2 weeks now and only "Just" starting to show improvement. It really does depend on the Case and the severity of it.

How could anyone judge you , "Quality of life is everything "

Best of luck hope it works out for you
default_yes.gif

Have gone thru this. Couldn't have made it without the soft ride boots. Mare was in them for a year full turn out and able to walk and run in these boots. Are a little spendy but lasted a year and great customer service. Mare is now barefoot and going strong. Also on cushings meds for that. Laminitis has been halted. Have also used these boots on mare with deep abcess. She was able to be a normal horse while it healed with these boots on.

Not a whole lot more to add except with everything she has going on it seems it will take lots of time and TLC. The other thing I was wondering was did you have her feet x-rayed? If she has any rotation that would be an indicator also as to where she is and where she can go. You are a horse savvy person and in your heart you will know when enough is enough. My thoughts are with you.

It is a frustrating thing to have run the appropriate tests leading to what is likely a correct diagnosis and appropriate treatment, to only get less than desirable results.

Unfortunately, laminitis/founder is like this, which is why you will hear so many different opinions about what to do.

I would have expected better results than what you are getting, but I think any final decisions should be made along with your Vets input.

Good luck,

Dr. Taylor

I doesn't get any easier for you whether it's this week or six months from now. It is always a heartbreaking decision and one us animals lovers have to make sometime or another and it never gets any easier. So sad.

Oh, how sad. Such a hard place to be. Max is a laminitis survivor (8 years ago), but his case was fairly mild and he was able to get out of his stall fairly quickly onto a dry lot, and we've had no issues since- we're just careful with his weight and access to grass. At 19 he's sound and happy to work.

Like most people, I've had to put down older horses and pets, and it is never, ever an easy decision. I don't think you are at all wrong to voice your frustrations and fears. People can understand suffering in the present for the sake of a potentially better future. The tricky thing is that horses cannot think this way. How do we balance these two realities? Among us animal lovers there is sometimes a lot of pressure to do "everything you can", as that is what we do with people- and aren't our pets family members? But I don't always think "everything you can" is the right thing, depending on the situation. I wish you all the best as you wrestle with this decision. As you do, I think it really is okay for you to consider what might be best for you, too, in terms of finances, the care you are able to provide, and your own feelings about this situation. These factors are important, too.

Of course any decision will be made with my vets, max's mom, you hit the nail on the head. I have to give my vets an update, and I am willing to go forward with the meds for awhile longer, but I just needed to hear from others on the matter. Guessing I just needed that reassurance that I am not being cruel if I see no end in sight and no quality to life with her wobbling around in a stall for months on end.

I will keep you all posted, please continue to post if you all have any other input.

With me and my first case was full blown founder with my Quarter Horse colt Shane that was foaled from my mare and i raised him from a baby. He was so young and we were just getting his training started. I only had about 30 days or less of riding on him and he was doing so good when it happened. Back then there was little to no knowledge compared to all kinds of treatments and theories like today. I did x rays, I did resections, I did heart bar shoes and egg bar shoes and upside down shoes and no shoes and pads made of rubber and. I soaked and I soaked and did everything anyone told me to do devoted and faithfully but my horse was not responding. I remember the days when It was like 100 degrees in Florida and I am 9 months pregnant struggling to drag him out of his stall twice a day because he couldn't move and begging him to lift his foot for more soaking, then more bandaging. I was flipping him bute like candy after a while it was so bad. I was in complete denial. There had not been a quality of life for months but I wouldn't give up. Until I got to the point when I did not want to go to the barn anymore because I didn't want to look at him like that not one more day. But I did and one day while I was struggling with him I swear he had tears in his eyes and at that point, without any further planning, telling no one, I called the vet and told him to come now. It was private. it was personal. And it was time. Of course I grieved terribly and then afterwards i was happy for him and then felt such a weight lifted from me as well. I had no idea that all this time my friends were praying that this would happen but they didn't speak up and be honest with me prolonging his life the way I did, scared they would hurt me or make me mad. The problem with this disease is the pain management and knowing it never really ends well.

shane.jpg

I have a fiend who is a horse person since she was born.She is a vet tec and does foaling out for many breeds.She has always told me that the horse will tell you when it is ready to cross over and has had enough of our trying to hold on to them for our own sake.I have had to let several go when I was not ready.Go with your heart and you will know what is right for the horse and you..My thought and prayers are with you.It is not easy caring for animals with medical issues.I have several Minis here with issues.Cancer in my older guy(was stallion-now gelding)2 mares with cushings,IR and an old Corgi with bad eye issues.Major stress and giant vet bills.

I'm going through the same thing with Seven, the difference is that now he is doing better. My farrier is coming out this afternoon so will know more later. Seven fell this winter and I thought he had injured a stifle. After exrays, I learned that he had foundered in a front and rear hoof with rotation. He hurt so bad he couldn't lift his feet to leave his stall. He was on stall rest for a solid month, then I started letting him out a few minutes at a time to see how he could walk. He wasn't any better, so stall rest again. Blood work showed that he is also IR. He was put on a strict diet, 7 lbs of hay. a day that I spread over 3 meals. No grain what so ever. He has a salt block and during the winter we use heated water buckets.

My riding horse foundered to the point she had only one good leg. I hated to do it, but put her down, because she was my "retirement" and best friend. It's been 4 years and still miss my Daisy mare , I tried every vet office in my area until I had to face the fact she wasn't going to get better. Your mini will tell you when the time is here, {{Hugs} in advance.

Latest posts

Back