Medical question, need your thoughts

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaprikorn

Reaction score
Hi all, I have a friend that has a 9 yo gelding Mini that has started doing something odd.. He will lay down and roll over on his back with his feet in the air and just lie there for several minutes. He may roll from side to side once slowly, but he mainly just lays there. We all thought he was trying to colic so we called the vet. . .got the usual treatment. .mineral oil and Bantamine. He is going long periods without pooping, but he is going. He is eating anad drinking ok, but he does act a little lethargic and not his normal silly self. We have walked him for miles it seems but every evening he starts this again. He has been doing this for 4 days. The vet has been out twice. . just has no idea what is going on. Vital signs are normal, no sweating, he looks normal. . .but one thing different. . .he keeps his penis descended and not retracting it as normal???Oh another thing. . .he is very overweight. . .I have told my friend many times that he is way too fat and really needs weight off. But this goes to deaf ears, but maybe now he will listen to me. Vet came back out today and got blood. . .looking for something.

Thanks for your thoughts. . .

That is a classic sign of ulcers. I'm NOT a vet, but I've unfortunately had a lot of experience with ulcers. Not to say there may not be something else going on, but I'd start with a round of ulcer meds, and let the vet run tests to see if there's another problem. Also, the dropped penis is a sign of pain. Gastroguard or Ulcergard are the best treatments, but you can also use over the counter people meds in a pinch. Like Zantac or one of those heartburn meds. If it turns out to be something else, the ulcer meds won't hurt him, so it's worth a try. Good luck with him, and keep us updated.

I will also say ulcers because if it is a true colic he should either be getting better with treatment or really decline. Colic like symptoms are also a sign for ulcers. Giving banamine it may also be making it worse. That's why some vets if you are treating colic and giving banamine for a pain medication will also give you ulcer medication to prevent ulcers.

I thought this, too. But the vet was bent on colic. I am not really sure of him anymore. . .he also is a "cattle" vet. . .but the only one around near him. I am going to drive to another vet I know and get the Ulcergard. My poor friend has spent $500 on his little mini for nothing and this was half of his social security check. He has been so worried he was going to lose him.

Thanks for all your input. . . .I think we can get this little fellow better now. Will do a follow-up post in a few days.

In addition to the ulcer meds, I would suggest stopping any grain, especially if it is sweet feed. That will aggravate ulcers. Alfalfa is good for ulcers because it is high in calcium (think "Tums"); hay, cubes or pellet form will all work but the first 2 may be more likely to be eaten. Lots of little meals to simulate the natural pasture environment. A slow feeder is good but for someone on SS, just feeding hay more often should help.

Sometimes it IS very hard to tell the difference between colic pain and ulcer pain, or even something else. Horses only have a few ways of reacting to pain.

This video might help to figure out if it is ulcers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Fr05hMmLCY4

Ulcers. Make sure horse is being fed his hay frequently throughout the day so that his stomach is buffered.

Remember these are just people's ideas from their experience, this could be a lot of things...sand moving through, colitis, ulcers, a foreign body...enterolith, fecalith, bezoar .... a bean in his sheath, all kinds of things that only a medical professional can diagnose with an appropriate exam.

Tbh i'm loosing all faith in equine medical and farrier workers. I have spent a year trying different things on my horse who is lame, and not one person mention navicular (which im pretty sure now it is) so i have wasted a year while he has gotten worse and is likely to get pts because of it.

Sorry a little off topic, just irritated me that a vet would not know what is classic signs.

Several pieces of good advice.....

I would check his sheath and clean it. I'd also stop all grain and give him several hay meals a day, including alfalfa. Gastroguard is also not a bad idea. Cover all the bases and see he reacts in a few days.

Latest posts

Back