Measuring stick

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K&H Miniatures

Reaction score
How do I correctly use my mini measuring stick. It is the aluminum one with the level. Do I read at the top bar or below the bar? I know where to place it, but I am not sure I am reading it right. Thanks.

I have the same one you read it below the bar (where it rests on the horses back.) And be sure to make sure it is level for the best results
default_smile.png

I was going to be a smart A and say for "A" horses measure at the top of the bar and "R" horses at the bottom.

Thought I might add to the current confussion.
default_biggrin.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I was going to be a smart A and say for "A" horses measure at the top of the bar and "R" horses at the bottom.

Thought I might add to the current confussion.
default_biggrin.png
Did I ask a stupid question? I am sorry. I am only trying to learn here and I honestly do not know. All I want to do is make sure I measure them right. I have purchased 2 AMHA/AMHR horses and they will need the transfer done and their papers made permanent pretty soon. I wouldn't want to make a mistake. All I wanted was an honest response. Now, I have in a way been made to feel stupid. I may have to ask twice about asking such a question. Sorry.

Aaahhh, K&H, everyone was just joking. BELIEVE me! You are WAY not the only person who asks this question! I had some pictures of correct measuring with a Sligo Stick, but I can't find them now. What kind of stick do you have?

Charlotte

oops, have to go feed now. I'll check back later

Last edited by a moderator:
I am sorry K&A, the silly comments were not aimed at you.. it is about the new measure rule coming into effect for AMHA horses next January (if they do not squash it like they should)..

Measure at the last hairs of the mane with the horse standing square on flat surface.. If you have the stick I think you have, it will be at the bottom of the bar..

I believe someone may have a picture of correct measuring somewhere - Charlotte, if you do, please post it later.. after you are done feeding..

Again, I am sorry.. did not mean to make you feel stupid..
default_wub.png
That's okay. I just was not aware of the new changes trying to be made. I have posted a few other things on here and have for the most part been very happy. I had some questions about one of my mares (and yes they are grade but I didn't know about registered ones until recently) and well, was hurt just a little there too. I am okay with that now as well. People have a right to any of their opinions and not all have to agree with them either.

I have the aluminum mini measure stick. It doesn't have any cutouts on it just a bar and a level. It was the only one I really found on the internet to purchase. Thanks and Godbless all. Kristy

I'm so sorry. I wasn't trying to make you feel stupid. It's just all the top of the withers, notch at the base of the withers, last hair of the mane going on with AMHA.

I was just making a joke. You had a perfectly legitimate question.

Sorry,

Vickie

Sometimes you have to ignore some answers, but remember one thing, the only stupid question is the unasked one.

Hi K&H--I struggle with my measuring stick too. It seems I get a different number every time I try.
default_wacko.png
The expensive sticks have a round level--which would definitely make things easier, but I have the same as you--one way level. The biggest problem I have is in finding a perfectly level spot. We have a cement "basketball court" that we even have a hard time finding flat spots on. The other important thing to remember is to have the horses head up--they are much shorter then.
default_smile.png
Oh--and I do try it on my own--but it works much better with a buddy. Just hope the horse stands still while you can determine just where exactly that last mane hair is. Lord help us if we have to find a notch. :DOH!

Latest posts

Back