Measuring mini's

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

auledasacres

Reaction score
We had 2 colts this year. I took the one to the local AMHR show. I measured him before taking him and he measure a little over 21 inches. Well when we went to the show the steward measured him at 19 1/4 as a 3 month old. Why am I getting such a bigger measurement. I find the last mane hair and measure off of that using a miniature measure stick. I always measure in the barn on the concrete for more accuracy.This just puzzles me but I am afraid of giving incorrect measurements to people whom buy from us. 2 inches makes a big difference.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Traci and Family

[SIZE=14pt]Traci the babies can make you crazy measuring. If you are using a stick and measuring at the last mane hair, sometimes if they arent cooperating and are standing up under themselves too much they can measure higher. I usually have the other problem. at home and relaxed they measure shorter than at a show. If they get stroked on their backs sometimes they will drop their backs and measure smaller. [/SIZE]

If you are selling these babies just say at the show the stweard measured them this , here is the measurement paper. I get them this.... you decide what you want.

Lyn

Don't the AMHR stewards have more acurate measuring sticks as well? With a level on top and then they lock the measurement in position?

I have had just the opposite happen in measuring at shows.. I made my measuring stick myself. I measured 33-1/4 and at a show she measured at 34-1/2 so I had to ask for a remeasure. then the steward had a measurement very close to mine at 33-1/2 And My Home made measure stick
biggrin.gif
aktion033.gif
So I was pleased at that.. I just used a 48 inch 2 inch wide rule with a sliding square with a Bubble on top After all, an inch is an inch whether it is measured by a 75 dollar measuring stick or one that I built for 16 dollars~!! Yuppers..

I usually measure my horses 1/2" taller than they do at the shows. The benefit to this is, if I measure a horse as being 34" or under, I KNOW they are 34" or under!
yes.gif
I have a measuring stick (one of the cheaper ones) that just has one bubble. However, I have even borrowed a friend's stick that is the same kind used at the shows, and I measure the same way with it.

I just read this in one of my mini books. The way we measure minis was a compromise. "In the beginning" one group wanted to measure at the top of the withers, as we do big horses, and another group wanted to measure from the middle of the back! That seems so silly to me and can you imagine how many "tiny" sway back horses we might have if that's what went?

Latest posts

Back