Measuring... heard talk of a new proposal...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do not support the proposal to change the method of measuring AMHR Miniature Horses so that it is the same as used in other pony and standard sized horse registries and associations. I believe keeping our current method, that is the same as the other Miniature Horse registries in the United States, is the proper route to take. There are two major Miniature Horse registries/associations in the United States and they both measure using the same method, simple as that. I don't believe any change is needed.

Jacki Loomis

[email protected]
At first glance I personally thought this would be a great idea. However, with that being said I slept on it an now agree with your post and feel I would be against the rule change. With our current measurement practice of measuring by the last hairs on the mane, it gives an actual point of location for the stewards to measure. Doing things by the proposal, even though it states the top of the withers, still leaves a little playing room for the stewards to measure, making it more likely that we will get different measurements by different stewards, depending on the horse and in some cases the measurement may be drastic. I am not in this position, but I feel it would make a difference for people with the bigger minis. I have been in the Quarter, and Paint horse world for 20+ years.....for all of those that have also dealt with bigger horses, how many times have you gone to look at a horse for purchase that was suppose to be 16 hands, you get there and its only 15.2. This was not (well most of the time) due to the owners or sellers being dishonest, but because measuring this way does not give an exact location to measure as our current way of measuring does. Just thinking out loud.

Last edited by a moderator:
Folks also realise that when you sell horses into Europe that the horses are measured at the withers in order to be allowed to breed and be added into their stud book.
default_new_shocked.gif

Having exported many horses into Europe, we are constantly ask for the regular AMHR/AMHA measurement and the "European Stud Book measurement". Again yes it does make a difference to overseas buyers who want to be able to breed their horses as allowed by European rules.
default_wink.png
John, with all due respect I do not know of many of us small farms that sell to Europe.

I am so against this proposal and intend on going to Convention to cast my vote against it. I encourage those that feel the same way to try to attend.

Sigh. Edited because I need to stand back a bit
default_biggrin.png

I am for measuring at the withers. I think it is much more accurate. The rules can be worked out and I know that no one wants to eliminate any registered horses.

To be completely honest, whichever way the vote goes on this I am personally fine with it. We will adjust our breeding program accordingly. And hopefully continue to be sucessful in the show ring.

Also to address a couple of other points that have been mentioned:

Fran, no offence taken what so ever, the European market is one that is a thriving one and you might want to consider exploring it, we have sent 25 or so over in the last several years and it is a good market.

Paticurily now that the Euro exchanges with teh dollar are in their favor. Small farm or big farm quality will sell, so if you have soem put them out there for those folks to see. I understand both of the registries are working on promotion over there and that should prove interesting to say the least, the Europeans love American Shetlands and Mini's which is a good thing for folks here.

This controversy about shetlands, shetland crosses and "true miniatures" is really worn out, Folks do some homework and see where the lineage of your horses come from. The vast majority of them came from shetlands and the rest were mainly grade horses.

This controversy about shetlands, shetland crosses and "true miniatures" is really worn out, Folks do some homework and see where the lineage of your horses come from. The vast majority of them came from shetlands and the rest were mainly grade horses.
Just HAVE to reply to this one.
default_laugh.png
Yes, they very likely DID "come from shetlands, and grades"...of course they did...so did every OTHER breed BEGIN with an idea, and a bunch of grade horses or crossbreds. Go tell a quarterhorse breeder that because you have a fast grade mare, she and her foals should be registered as quarterhorses "because that is where the quarterhorse's liniage came from".
default_deadhorse2.gif

Just HAVE to reply to this one.
default_laugh.png
Yes, they very likely DID "come from shetlands, and grades"...of course they did...so did every OTHER breed BEGIN with an idea, and a bunch of grade horses or crossbreds. Go tell a quarterhorse breeder that because you have a fast grade mare, she and her foals should be registered as quarterhorses "because that is where the quarterhorse's liniage came from".
default_deadhorse2.gif

Haven't read most of the posts. But I'm all for measuring at the withers like normal

Some how I did something wrong and put my name on someone else's post. (the last one) I am sorry.

I was just going to add that it was not so many years ago that we changed the way we measured horses for ÅMHR show. You used to be able to show A with a 331/2 inch yearling. Any age under 34 was shown as an A. They got it figured out.

Also wanted to add that 34 and 38 are just some numbers that people decided on. They are not written in stone. I remember Lowell telling me that he voted for 36 inches at the withers for AMHA when it started.

Folks these double reg. horses can still be shown as Shetlands , just as several have pointed out , We are not taking anything away from anyone .. Is it really that bad to have to show your pony as Shetland instead of a Mini.. ? And I know some will say they are to small to compete, NOPE not so , I am showing a 34" ( at the top of the wither) Classic Stallion right now , NO he CAN NOT show as a Mini because he only shetland reg. and only a yearling ... But you know he has won and won Grands over those 40 and 42" ponies, So the way I Look at a Good horse is a Good horse no matter what the size..
default_yes.gif
default_yes.gif

So anyway good idea's from everyone !
default_saludando.gif
default_saludando.gif

[/size]
WHOA there! The reason that these under Shetlands are in AMHR is that they CAN"T compete with the Shetlands!! It's the same for them that everyone complains about with a 28 or 30" competing against a 34" horse. Just because they came from Shetland stock doesn't mean they can compete against a taller horse. OH hey, it just hit me NO ONE is really talking about competing in anything but HALTER! I forgot most people don't think performance is worth doing!

To be completely honest, whichever way the vote goes on this I am personally fine with it. We will adjust our breeding program accordingly. And hopefully continue to be sucessful in the show ring.

Also to address a couple of other points that have been mentioned:

Fran, no offence taken what so ever, the European market is one that is a thriving one and you might want to consider exploring it, we have sent 25 or so over in the last several years and it is a good market.

Paticurily now that the Euro exchanges with teh dollar are in their favor. Small farm or big farm quality will sell, so if you have soem put them out there for those folks to see. I understand both of the registries are working on promotion over there and that should prove interesting to say the least, the Europeans love American Shetlands and Mini's which is a good thing for folks here.

I agree and many of these unknown great grand dams and stallions can probably be traced back to the US pit ponies that were being used up until the 1970's. As well as those shetlands whose papers were thrown away, because someone didn't want to have "shetland" on their paperwork.

WHOA there! The reason that these under Shetlands are in AMHR is that they CAN"T compete with the Shetlands!! It's the same for them that everyone complains about with a 28 or 30" competing against a 34" horse. Just because they came from Shetland stock doesn't mean they can compete against a taller horse. OH hey, it just hit me NO ONE is really talking about competing in anything but HALTER! I forgot most people don't think performance is worth doing!

Sandee,

With all due respect , I think you mis read my post !! I said that small horses CAN COMPETE WITH TALLER ONES.. I have shown many small under 38" Shetlands at Congress and Won Grand with them over lots taller horses.. Again I say a Good Horse is a Good Horse no Matter what size they are !!! And you are right just because they have shetland papers does not mean they are all that and sliced bread !! Some can not compete Mini or Shetland .. As the same holds true for Mini's .. Again , I love them all big and little , I have them all , I show them all .. LOL !!! Gosh sounds like I need a LIFE !!!
default_wacko.png
default_wacko.png

Also I do care about Performance horses as I myself have had many Driving horses , My last one was my Classic Stallion who was a Performance Pony of the Year..
default_wub.png

I do hope lots of you folks do come to Convention this year , It is what we need in our Assoc.. to get people involved and not let just a select few that come to Convention be the only ones voting on very important issues..

Hey Cairn I still LOVE you
default_wub.png
NO matter how you Vote !!!
default_yes.gif
As I have said several times already in this thread , this is not about me or what I want , it is about what many members want ..
default_wink.png

And Lavern , I am glad you agree, I know you raise some very nice A & B mini's and lots of them..
default_wink.png

Oh good! Glad you still love me even though we disagree! : ).

I do have to ask, why are we so deeply in bed with 34" and 38"?

Who knows LOL I really wish there were some ASPC shows in the area that etleast 1 pony would attend ; I would love to show pony
default_smile.png
AMHR & Height stresses me out!
default_biggrin.png

OH hey, it just hit me NO ONE is really talking about competing in anything but HALTER! I forgot most people don't think performance is worth doing!
Me, I am all about performance...I could care less about halter. I think breeding for perfect conformation is great, but without the mind and athletisism to do anything with that perfect body, it is useless to me.

I guess because "that's the way it's always been"?
default_rolleyes.gif

I guess I see this from a fresher, more open perspective because not having sanctioned shows available here, our horses here have to compete in open shows, using regular Equine Canadian driving rules. (Basically very similar to the ADS rules.)

Even at our "Miniature Horse Shows, persay...we have all horses compete together, rather than break the classes up into 2 or 4 inch intervals. The absolute winningest horse I have ever had, was my former stallion, who stands 30". He consistantly beat "B" sized horses in halter, pleasure driving, obstacle and even...games! WHY everyone gets all hot and bothered over an inch or two amazes me...really...it truly does. I recently competed with my 33.50 mare at a local combined driving show, where she placed fourth. That was forth place...of the show...combined dressage, cones, and a 6.6Km marathon...and as the only mini there, she competed in the regular pony class. That means she placed forth out of the ten ponies, that except for one 12hh pony, were 13.2hh and up. And YOU worry about an inch...or even two?
default_wacko.png
default_rolleyes.gif

but Folks some of this is out of control with the size of these B Horses, I get calls daily From Folks about how much 38" has grown !! Now we can blame lots of things, from the people measuring , the folks owning them , the trainers , and on and on, I just feel like if we measured like the rest of the Equine world measures we would be better off.
Well, I guess it could also be commented on how much 34" has grown. There are small ponies competing as Minis, and there are 36" Minis competing in the under 34" division. For some reason, though, that seems to be okay....perhaps because those ones are not so likely to be registered Shetlands?
If there is suddenly this major concern about doing something about oversize horses being shown then the concern should be about both size divisions, Over and Under, not just the Over division. So, if you want to clean this up, why not crack down on measuring practices--enforcing the rules regarding stance of horse, actions of handler, pressing down on the measure stick etc etc etc instead of coming up with a rule that will eliminate the 37" to 38" at-the-last-mane-hair horses. Even with measuring at the withers, if someone wants to take an oversize horse and stand him spraddle legged and all stretched out, chances are they're going to fit him into the size limit too. You're going to be surprised at how tall 38" at-the-withers is too.

Folks these double reg. horses can still be shown as Shetlands , just as several have pointed out , We are not taking anything away from anyone .. Is it really that bad to have to show your pony as Shetland instead of a Mini.. ?
Well, in the first place you are taking Mini papers away from foals that would normally be able to have them under the current rules....foals that are born to parents that are registered AMHR as well as ASPC....foals from several generations of ASPC/AMHR horses. Is a horse that is registered both AMHR and ASPC more Shetland than Miniature if it comes from 4 or 5 generations of registered ASPC/AMHR horses? The 40" ponies that would be AMHR registered may be competitive as a pony, but that does depend on the pony--truth is there are quite a number of ASPC/AMHR horses that are much more competitive as a Mini than as a pony. Some of them look much more Mini than pony, and some of them would be lacking the style and/or movement that it takes to win in good pony competition. (And I am NOT saying that Minis lack style or movement, but judges as a rule do count movement a lot less in Minis than they do in ponies.)
This rule change will in no way affect me--I am not going to be breeding any Minis and probably won't even be showing many of them, so whichever way it goes it makes no difference to me personally. But, if I were able to go to Convention and vote on this rule I would vote AGAINST it. I am totally opposed to it as it stands. I am all for measuring at the top of the wither, but totally opposed to the height limit not being adjusted to allow for withers on the horse.

I too think it is unfair if a new rule just instantly eliminates the breeding programs of some farms (and I believe this one would do that very thing). What concerns me is the fact that similar things have been done before—such as the closing of hardshipping to unregistered horses; that was done with so little notice it left some people with crossbred horses that couldn’t be registered because they weren’t yet old enough to be hardshipped in—very disappointing, I’m sure, when people were purposefully breeding these horses to add into the registry. At least with AMHA, plenty of notice has been given so breeders know that beyond a certain date their unregistered foals won’t be able to get into the registry. And I agree with Fran—if certain people want this rule to pass, it will pass. I wouldn’t say this rule favors AMHA exactly, but it does favor those who want to shut ASPC out of the AMHR registry.

Add several classes to the miniature shows to accomidate the m/s crosses. Call it OPEN MODERN MINIATURE OVER AND UNDER. As it seems that our miniatures are destain to move forward with the cross breeding.
jeniemac--they are not "crosses" in many cases--they are Shetlands that happen to be the right size to also be registered as Miniatures. They are double registered, not "crosses", though of course there are people that are breeding an AMHR horse to an AMHR/ASPC horse, so the resulting foal is AMHR as well as half Shetland.
Honestly, if this rule passes as is, there are going to be a lot of hard feelings in the registry--I can see that coming. I will be deeply disappointed, and feel really bad for those who will actually be affected by this rule change.

I too think it is unfair if a new rule just instantly eliminates the breeding programs of some farms (and I believe this one would do that very thing).
I agree, I also think that this will hurt the small farm more than the larger ones. Many people have taken years to build their breeding programs and it is not so easy to adjust for a small farm.

I also think that if you have A sized double registered horses you should watch out, if this passes in AMHR I bet it will come up again in AMHA

I agree, I also think that this will hurt the small farm more than the larger ones. Many people have taken years to build their breeding programs and it is not so easy to adjust for a small farm.

I also think that if you have A sized double registered horses you should watch out, if this passes in AMHR I bet it will come up again in AMHA
I HOPE it comes up in AMHA. Again, it all boils down to if you are trying to follow the standard and breed the "smallest possible correctly proportioned horse" or if you are trying to breed the TALLEST horse you can possibly register. I HAVE NOTHING AGAINST TALLER HORSES. IF THAT IS WHAT YOU WANT, BY ALL MEANS BREED THEM. JUST QUIT PRETENDING THEY ARE MINIATURES!

Thank you Belinda for proposing this.
default_aktion033.gif
I think it could use some tweaking, but it is a step in the right direction. As John said (paraphrasing of course), I can live with it as is if it passes, I can live with it with adjustments, or I can live with it if it fails.

I HOPE it comes up in AMHA. Again, it all boils down to if you are trying to follow the standard and breed the "smallest possible correctly proportioned horse" or if you are trying to breed the TALLEST horse you can possibly register. I HAVE NOTHING AGAINST TALLER HORSES. IF THAT IS WHAT YOU WANT, BY ALL MEANS BREED THEM. JUST QUIT PRETENDING THEY ARE MINIATURES!

Thank you Belinda for proposing this.
default_aktion033.gif
I think it could use some tweaking, but it is a step in the right direction. As John said (paraphrasing of course), I can live with it as is if it passes, I can live with it with adjustments, or I can live with it if it fails.

Ummm........Just going to remind everyone that the ASPC was here first, they developed AMHR, and THEN AMHA came into being. Just sayin'.

Back