Mazie's first trip to Quail Summit!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barnbum

Reaction score
It was torturous to wait all day for the time to leave. We were to arrive at 2:30. I worked on flannel quilt squares to keep occupied. At 11:30 I headed out to vacuum Mazie (she loves that!) and get her braids out and her mane brushed. The van was loaded with everything I thought there was a 3% possibility we'd need.
default_rolleyes.gif
Then, FINALLY, it was time to go.

Rachel--my 19 year old home from college--help her while I set up the wheelchair ramp.

5778c82d.jpg

Mazie is the only horse who balks at getting into the van--but finally she was up and ready to roll.

6d0bf249.jpg

See the quilted flannel curtain I added to the van to keep Mazie from trying to drive? Here's a closer look:

962c7180.jpg

Playing with my sewing machine's features.
default_laugh.png

1705d6a3.jpg

Anyway...three poops and several whinnies later, we arrived. (Rachel took all the rest of the photos!)

bca6f02a.jpg

Mazie NEVER spooked at anything--she hesitated a bit before stepping into the building, then was amazing.

c4c23d32.jpg

The walkers didn't bother her a bit.

da562a80.jpg

But! The carpet was grass green with brown grain-like sprinkles!! Good grief! Mazie couldn't figure out why she wasn't getting a tasty something from her efforts!
default_unsure.png

53056d6f.jpg

I had emailed Kandy beforehand to let her know it may not be a touching visit--depending on how Mazie reacted. She let everyone know it was more a looking visit. There were two kids there visiting their grandmother--and Mazie was ready to say hello.
default_wub.png

ac99fa84.jpg

I was very very careful to protect everyone just in case Mazie decided to buck or spook.

Better safe than sorry is always my motto.

29989326.jpg

(continued below....)

Last edited by a moderator:
Then we walked a second hallway to enter the place where everyone was waiting. There were too many walkers blocking the other way. Mazie did well here... but just around the corner, she pooped a loose one.
default_unsure.png
Kandy assured me before we went that it'd not be a problem. And it wasn't. But, she stuck a chair over the delightful pile go keep anyone from stepping in it. Several times folks joined the groups and went to grab that chair, so one older wise woman said she'd sit in it to keep everyone away.
default_laugh.png
Later, Kandy told me the health/safety guy asked her how long the horse would be there because he thought it was against regulations, but Kandy had already checked and told him it was only against regulations if she went into the dining hall, and we weren't going there. I couldn't help but feel sorry for the guy.
default_smile.png

717409fe.jpg

Here we are in the group!

9e7cd63f.jpg

You might say she had everyone's attention.
default_smile.png

413ffeb3.jpg

Once she had settled a bit, I asked her to walk between the rows of folks, and she did.

a91571e5.jpg

Well--she backed a few times.
default_wink.png
I had Kandy walk on the other side of her--just to be safe.

3a6c9bbf.jpg

Then she went! It's funny--this is the same place I gave a quilt show this past summer.
default_laugh.png

2ad47884.jpg

She was even ready to be touched--and, um, chew on the wires on the walkers.
default_rolleyes.gif

1c6f0934.jpg

0d1bedc3.jpg

Look at the laughter in the back left. That's what it's all about.
default_biggrin.png
default_wub.png

a6dd34c0.jpg

Then Kandy wanted us to visit the dementia part. Mazie walked perfectly through the halls--through beeping doors--over different carpets--to reach them. It was so worth it. See!

073ec25f.jpg

33e5189e.jpg

ab1e4aee.jpg

Then we headed out to load up. I dumped some the the fertilizer Mazie deposited on the way, onto the base of a tree--I bet next year they'll wonder why that one is so much taller and fuller than the others.
default_laugh.png
Mazie had trouble loading--so distracted by the busy traffic a ways off. She whinnied a lot on the way home, and wasted no time in getting to her mama. Usually when we return from a ride, she's in no hurry to go back to the pasture--but she's never been gone quite this long. See where Gypsy is standing in the first photo? Even though all the other horses were out back--that's exactly where Gypsy was waiting for her filly when we pulled in. I don't think she stood there the whole time, but she was waiting.
default_wub.png
default_wub.png
We were gone less than two hours. I wish I could take two at a time, but it'd be a handful.

Thanks for looking!

default_saludando.gif

Thanks for posting all the pictures. I really want to do that with 1 of my minis. I think I have one that would do so very good.

Pam

I love it! I too want to get more involved with my little feather. He loves this stuff and it extremly tollerant of everything. Its the going potty thing thats got me nervous.

default_wub.png
wow

thanks for sharing

touching story.

It looks like everyone was having fun
default_biggrin.png

I *so* want to do this with my girls. I think my girl Baby would be the perfect one with her very docile, laid back, quiet temperment. My 15 yr old loves visiting folks in facilities like this, so she'd be a natural partner for me too.

How does one get started?

LOVED the photos and the story!!! Keep them coming!!!
default_wub.png

How does one get started?
I had a connection with the activities director at the place I took Mazie. My students visit this place often--just playing games with the residents, then in June we give them an awesome talent show. This June will be the fourth!
default_biggrin.png
Kandy asked about the minis--and at that time I didn't know how I'd get them to her--and I always had pregnant mares or babies, so I suggested she bring the residents out in the summer. They've come for three years now. There are plenty of photos about that on my website. Kandy always said she wanted me to use QS for the training grounds for a therapy horse. So.....

First I decided I wanted to use the van, rather than the trailer, for transportation. Our van has a particularly high roof! I bought a wheelchair ramp and a cargo liner to make it safe and to keep the van in a condition for family use, when necessary.
default_wink.png
The cargo liner is covered with shavings. I usually have to brush all my school stuff off before I walk in the building every morning.
default_laugh.png

Then the lessons started. Mazie is the only horse I have who won't just walk up the ramp into the van without balking. So--we started there. She was treated with grain (too young for treats) as she mounted step by step. It took a few tries to get her all the way up. Once she was I tied her and let her eat some grain and hay. I hung out with her in the van. We did about three lessons of just hanging out in the van--not moving. Then, I added moving. I rode in the back with her for the first trip--Mark drove. It was a short trip-less than 10 minutes. The next trip was to my dad's house--just 2 miles away--but she didn't get out. We didn't have straps to hold the ramp securely and it's way too dangerous to leave it loose. We took her again another day--and we took the ramp to get her out. He has lots of gardens and logs and bird houses--she didn't spook at anything, but was on full alert.
default_smile.png

Then, since the place I took her is a 20 drive, another day I took Mazie for a longer drive by myself--and we stopped at dad's. He wasn't home at the time. That was the trip where I determined to not take her anywhere to get out alone--an extra pair of hands is needed. If there was a place to tie her outside the van, it'd be okay. But, there's not.

She also came into our house--I wanted her to prepare for different floorings. QS has all rugs--so I didn't have to worry about her slipping. but color/texture changes can worry them. She walked about the kitchen table and on the hardwood floor, and on two different rugs with no difficulty. Then I wondered about the doors--so I took her up to the back of our barn and opened the HUGE barn doors--she didn't even blink. I also have an old walker here--to desensitize them before the residents came here. I walked about the pasture and within a few seconds there were three horse heads in it, so that wasn't a problem.
default_laugh.png

Every trip I took with her made me think of something to add to the list of items to take. I can give you that if you'd like.

Love the dark mask on her face accented by the light hair and the green halter! So stylish! She is very cute. Looks like a lot of fun!

I tried a red-white, and blue halter on her, but it didn't adjust in two places and was too sloppy around her muzzle. So--green was the color. I just bought her some antlers with little colored bulbs hanging from them... and her body bells should be here before our next trip.
default_smile.png

Karla Thanks for sharing the pics and the story of Maizie's first trip to Quail Summit. It is so worthwhile to share your minis with the seniors.

Yvonne

Latest posts

Back