Maybe Baby??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mock2Farms

Reaction score
I got a new mare that was suppose to be open. Well today she bagging up and producing a milk like liquid. She looks like she could be in foal or just fat. There was a stallion on the property when she would have been bred.

What typically happens if a mare has a false pregnancy? Will they produce milk?

HMM?!

Ill post pictures in a minute!

Thanks

Pictures:

okiemaybebaby007.jpg

okiemaybebaby008.jpg

okiemaybebaby010.jpg

dodger008.jpg

okiemaybebaby012.jpg

Right after this it started squirting out in a stream..so I left it alone.

I would be thinking so,.
default_yes.gif

I have some mature mares who will slighly bag up and produce lots of milky fluid like your mare, when they are in heat. They can fool you every time.
default_no.gif

This is not to say she isn't pregnant, but only time will tell. If the bag keeps getting bigger and bigger, I would say she was.

OH BOY---NOT ANOTHER ONE! :DOH!
default_risa_suelos.gif
default_risa_suelos.gif
default_wacko.png
default_new_multi.gif
default_risa8.gif
default_488.gif
How many does that make now? I sure will be glad to see some of these mares become mommies SOON!!!!
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
She looks prego to me--watch her closely
default_yes.gif
default_yes.gif
default_yes.gif

Shelly: I KNOW! That is what I was thinking as I was posting this..LOL

We are not prepared for a baby around here until next year! I guess I better get ready just in case. Ive never had a mare produce milk when they were in season. That could be a possibility though since she was suppose to be open.

Thank you all!

OK....inquiring minds need to know these things.....what the heck is that lying on the ground in the second to the last picture???????????
default_biggrin.png

LOL.. I think its one of the guys that was working on our barns gloves. I just noticed it when I was taking pics..NO idea how it got there

There is no such thing as a false pregnancy! That is a bitch thing, not a mare thing!

Your mare's udder does look like its filling normally as though she is pregnant and nearing parturition.

There is no such thing as a false pregnancy! That is a bitch thing, not a mare thing!

Your mare's udder does look like its filling normally as though she is pregnant and nearing parturition.

That is good to know. That must be where I heard it from though (dog breeding). I couldve sworn mares could have false pregnancies though.

Thank you for the information and your opinion.

I will be very excited if she does foal!

The only times I have seen mares do that is either pregnancy or infection... so I guess without a vets opinion you are at a guessing game...

I have read on here of false pregnancies in mares. Although I think they are very rare, I suspect they are possible say when a mare aborts a pregnancy and her body continues on as if she is still pregnant.

I would have her checked.........definitely!

New Pictures.. I dont know whats wrong with my camera! They are all striped and funky colored. Anyways, Maybe baby or Fat n Sassy? Im calling the vet again tomorrow.

(excuse her hair cut, I was body clipping her and my clippers died on me)

Onto the pics:

okiemaybebaby026.jpg

okiemaybebaby034.jpg

okiemaybebaby042.jpg

Is it just me or does that look like a baby lump? Maybe I have wishful thinking?

There is no such thing as a false pregnancy in a mare. You can have stubborn retained endometrial cups, which will "ruin" a mare's breeding season by fooling her for a few months. Once the endometrial cups form, in the first 50 days of pregnancy, the mare will react by acting pregnant. These cups, however, do not go away until 120 days of pregnancy or so, so if the mare looses her foal after, say, 60 days, she will not recycle until another two months has passed. Usually this means the whole breeding season is shot and you have to skip a year. But it does not progress to actually looking pregnant, bagging up, etc. That is usually caused by grasses and extra feed, not by any reproductive change or syndrome.

Thank you for that information Nathan, but I am curious, as it has happened to members, why would the mare continue to look bigger then go on to bag, then act laborish, then deliver a nothing, if it is not a false pregnancy?

I am not trying to argue, just very curious.
default_yes.gif

Mock2farms- can you order a wee foal? If your mare is preg that will show it.

I have been lurking on this forum for awhile now. I thought this thread was a good time to say HI!!!!!!!

I have a little story for you. I rescued a minature mare about 3 months ago. Two weeks ago, I was letting her into the pasture and I noticed she was walking funny and she " Bagged" up. I put her in my small pen. She had lots of milky white fluid coming from her udders. Like a dairy cow. Called the vet- said she was probably prego and give her 3 weeks. Well during the last 2 weeks she would lie down and try to push. Her udders would leek this fluid all over her back of her legs stomach. Everywhere. She is chunky but did not look pregnant. Because she is a bigger Mini and very solid, My vet thought she could be carrying the foal high and not show the pregnancy tummy....

Yesterday, she layed down again and was pushing. She got up and was panting so hard. We loaded her in the trailor and took her to the vets in town. We got an internal ultrasound done. No baby. We had all the vets baffled why she would be soaking wet from this fluid. The vet thinks she hasn't cycled inwhile and she could have an embalance of hormones. Sorry to back track a little. During the 2 weeks of watching and not sleeping as we thought a foal was coming. ( she had all the signs.. relaxed vulva.. We tried to research her past. We found out she did have a foal and this foal died ( cause unknown). The vet thinks she could of been going through a phantom pregnancy as we have another rescue mare that is pregnant. We gave her a shot to get her into heat. Hopefully this will help her hormones balance out.

So yes these do happen in horses. My mare showed all the signs even labor- pacing.. relaxed vulva.. everything and No foal.

I love this forum, I have learned alot from just reading. Thanks

Sure looks like the classic baby "V" for preggos!!!!
default_aktion033.gif
:yeah
default_aktion033.gif
When is she supposed to be due?

Latest posts

Back