maybe a stupid question- but I have some concern

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eagles ring farm

Reaction score
Is it normal for a maiden being bred the first time to have a little bloody discharge that ran down her back legs seems to have stopped now.is this due to the hyman (SP?) breaking. Or should I be concerned.

It was heer first time hand bred today she was willing and seemed fine after except a bloody discharge and we have never seen that before with a maiden although she is the first Creamello or Double Dilute maiden mare we have bred here. Our other maidens have been dark colors could we have missed this and is it normal

Our Perlino was sent away to be bred so we didn't experience her 1st breeding

Sorry if its a dumb question but its bothering me

Yes, some maiden mares do bleed a little from the hymen being ruptured.

A maiden mare of mine had blood after her first-ever breeding a few years ago, and then began acting very out of sorts. I called the vet and she discovered a cervical tear. The mare was put on antibiotics and ended up being fine. I'd say, just keep an eye on your mare and if she is acting normal, she should be fine, but if not, a vet call would be in order. I hope it's nothing, but it's good to know the possibilities.

Thanks for all the responses

She is fine now bred again today and no discharge

and she has been fine since the first breeding

but thank you for the warning of what could be Magic

its always good to learn as much as possible from

everyones experiences

Thanks Jean for the suport - I felt it stupid because we have bred

quite a few maidens before and have never seen this and felt I should have known

but there is always more to learn for sure.

Thanks again everyone for setting our minds at ease

Latest posts

Back