May weather

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's never been this bad here before. Not sure what is going on. We've tried to think how we could fix it, but without some drastic fence/building moving there isn't much we can do. He is going to dig some serious channels and try to build up a berm when it dries up. We are seeing all kinds of areas that need some engineering. It probably won't rain the rest of the year and we'll go into a 10 drought cycle now. We'll be praying for mud again...

We have this problem this spring too. It is difficult to handle that darn mud. We were dried up nice and then boom! Raining like crazy and they say 1.8 inches and I have mud again. Better then too dry but it is still hard to manage.

Same here with the mud. I think we had maybe 4 or 5 days in April that it didn't rain. I am hoping that the weather cycle changes so that we (or someone, someplace) gets dry weather when it is time to make hay.

Oh that's bad. And more rain coming across the US. I hope the rain and mud lets up on you all.

Hope the weather is drying up for everyone. Its pouring here ( which Im very grateful for )

We have had barely any rain, much of the country is now in drought. Barely anyone got more than 1 cut of hay last year and the year before. Its going to be more expensive than gold the way things are going :(

Ryan, thank goodness you are finally getting some rain there! I don't know which is worse--drought or flood. They are both destructive and discouraging. My corral has one area that is dry. Out of the whole pasture. The horses spent almost all day yesterday standing and sleeping in that spot. The chickens are roosting on the picnic table and on the vehicles under the lean-to. Any place to get their feet out of the wet.

Oh no, that will be difficult with animals and no water. Odd how too much of a good thing led to not enough of it.
You must have town water?
This has been the weirdest Spring.

Last edited:
Good to have an option available if you need it! I hope you will not need it though.

About 10 years ago we had a major ice storm and lost our power for almost three weeks. We had a small generator that we used for one light and the TV and a heater. We lived in one room and by the time the power came back, I really didn't mind my enforced "semi camping" arrangement.

We've had 3 major ice storms since we've lived in OK. Twice power was off for 2 weeks. Once for 10 days. But through all those our rural water still ran. People can live without electricity, but living without water is much harder.
I wonder what kind of engineering feat will be used to reconnect the water line under the river? Maybe they can attach a temporary conduit to bridges? More rain is due tonight. The lake near us is at 112% (how can something contain more than 100%?) and the lake south of us has closed off its channels for the drainage canals going into it.
Able to enclose my two plumpos in the corral today. At least for one day they aren't eating 24/7! Took Midnight for a good exercise jaunt with the golf cart. We drove to our 3 neighbors to warn them about the water. She got to visit her horsey neighbors and dogs.

National Guard is called out to distribute potable water. Besides us rural customers, two townships are out of water. Two 8" lines over the river were broken by flood water. Not sure what is involved in replacing them; communication isn't forthcoming. No water is much harder than no electricity. Before I even reach down to pull a weed I have to think about where/how I'll wash my hands! Have the RV hooked up for showers and dish washing so we are better off than lots of folks. And at least the rain barrel is full.
And something mauled one of our hens two days ago. I wish it had just carried her off, but she is in our dog carrier, hoping she'll survive.
At least the sun is shining--hurrah!
I took Midnight to town yesterday to give her a bath. We are off to the nursing home today. My friends are also bringing two little kids. Hope I can get pictures. It's hard to photograph things when handling a horse.

Sorry about your hen. I would love to have a couple but they wouldn't have a chance here. Too many predators.
I wonder if the nursing home has water? I hope so.
Would love to see pictures of your visits if you get a chance to take some.

My sister took her little horse and a chicken. Friends brought two 5 week old kids. I took Midnight. I think all the residents enjoyed them very much. It was Midnight's first time indoors and she was very good with the residents. We even went into the dementia room. (Unfortunately, she had an accident in one of the rooms. I was embarrassed.) I think one of the staff took pictures too; she said she would send me some. I had bathed her the day before and dyed the top of her mane and tail, as they were sunbleached. I braided her mane and it was all wavy and pretty. Used the turquoise extensions and she had on her green leggings. I think she actually enjoyed it. The pictures from my camera don't show her well so I did not post them.goat1.jpg goat2.jpg

Thanks Marsha , the rain was certainly welcomed here. Has the rain passed now , Hope theres no more forecast for you ?

Great Pics, Must give so much joy to the folk at the nursing home , those smiles are priceless :)

We have had THREE days of sunshine! Everyone's spirits are up. A trickle of water came through last night but it is not for drinking. It is very nice to have indoor plumbing again. We have another nursing home tomorrow and one on the 2nd of June. I think I will take Dapper Dan tomorrow, as he has never had an accident indoors. I will just keep a close eye on his nibbling. Yesterday, the nursing home had a big snack setup during our visit. Every resident was holding a sack of crunchies and brownies. And they all wanted to offer treats to the animals. Not sure Dapper Dan would have cooperated in that situation.

Back