May be stupid question..

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcharr36

Reaction score
This mat be a very stupid question, but I just have to ask. Can a mare abort a twin late in pregnancy and retain the other one? I have a Welsh mare who aborted a beautiful, perfectly looking stud colt on Jan 19th. She is wild and cannot be touched. She is pasture bred, etc., so she never gets shots. I can occasionally coax her up to the fence close enough to look her over. Today I was able to due that and she still looks pregnant and her bag is full. If she is still carrying a foal, she is due the middle of March.

Can this happen?

Thanks.

I would think it could be possible. I know there are documented cases of one twin being aborted early in pregnancy but can't find anything on late term single twin abortions off hand. You'll have to watch her and keep us posted!

Lewella said:
I would think it could be possible.  I know there are documented cases of one twin being aborted early in pregnancy but can't find anything on late term single twin abortions off hand.  You'll have to watch her and keep us posted!
315641[/snapback]

I think it would be possible also.
yes.gif

[SIZE=14pt]Frankie had that happen last year ... the second foal was carried another couple of weeks or so and then she lost that one as well.[/SIZE]

Lyn

I got the mare in the barn and into a stall over the weekend. She looks very pregnant, filling udder, etc. But, she was flirting with my stallion.

Now, if you can believe the string and nail test, it says she is still pregnant. Who know.?!? Time will tell I guess.

I have had several people tell me that they know of these kind of abortions happening and the second foal lives.

Will let you know in about a month.

Latest posts

Back