Maximum Expression Sabino Questions

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ashley

Reaction score
HOw do you know if they are this or not? I have a yearling filly here that I bought as a foal. She was born a palomino pinto, and you could see her spots as a foal. Now this year as a yearling she is all white and you can only see her spots when she is clipped down(with a 10) and wet. You cant even see them when she is just clipped. Could she be a maximum expression sabino?

No she isnt a gray. I know what they are. She is white, pink skind, medicine hat with 2 bule eyes. Neither of her parents are gray.

When she is clipped, within the parts that are palomino colored, do you see white ticking?

When she is clipped now she is all white. YOu only see color when she is wet and its very light.

OK, here she is last September. Right after a clip and a bath so she is wet.

f7294335.jpg

f7294336.jpg

And here she is this spring after a clip and a bath. THe shadowing on her head and neck is coloring but on the body it is not.

f46f1b1c.jpg

I would say No, she is a Medicine Hat- they often have a lot of white on them as you know. The maximum expression Sabino and Splash tend to be all white- which makes me wonder just how many supposed "Lethal White foals" would have lived if they had not been euthanised

While she "could" have sabino roaning going on....that in itself does not make her a "Maximum White" sabino. They are almost totally white at birth & the little color that they may have on their heads or ears, fades to white very quickly.

My guess is that she is probably a Palomino Medicine Hat. Many Palominos are dark enough at birth that you can see their markings. But then, as their hair grows in, it gets lighter & lighter until they look pretty much like a white horse. I had two Palomino pinto foals over the years & they did that very thing. They looked like totally white horses for a couple of years until their palomino coloring started to darken up again. Then that is the adult color they stayed.

Here are a couple of maximum white sabino foals of mine born this year. This first one is Redrock Crocus Blossom, solid white with pink skin and blue eyes. Not a speck of color on her anywhere, however, she lab tested to be black!
aktion033.gif

7-05Crocus1.jpg

This one is Redrock Wakita and he is actually a chestnut sabino. At birth, he had red from the top of his head, down his neck, back and hip and into his tail. Now at 2 months he appears totally white as his red has 'roaned' out. Pink skin, one blue eye; one dark.

5-05SandyColt1.jpg

Becky said:
Here are a couple of maximum white sabino foals of mine born this year.  This first one is Redrock Crocus Blossom, solid white with pink skin and blue eyes.  Not a speck of color on her anywhere, however, she lab tested to be black! 
aktion033.gif
7-05Crocus1.jpg

This one is Redrock Wakita and he is actually a chestnut sabino.  At birth, he had red from the top of his head, down his neck, back and hip and into his tail.  Now at 2 months he appears totally white as his red has 'roaned' out.  Pink skin, one blue eye; one dark.

5-05SandyColt1.jpg

432329[/snapback]

Becky, this may be a little off topic, but I'm wondering if these foals carry Splash as well as Sabino or do blue eyes also come with the maximum expression Sabino?

Freeland,

I think anytime you get that much body white, blue eyes are a possibility. However, it could certainly be possible there is splash going on too. Both dams to these foals have dark eyes. Both have bald faces and hind socks. No other body white. The sire is Incognito who has one blue, one brown eye with a bald face and stockings.

I'll be glad when there is a test for all the color patterns!
smile.gif

Latest posts

Back