Masterfeeds 35% protien?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JaniceZ

Reaction score
I went to the feed store today to buy a protien supplement for my horses. The store clerk sugested a feed from masterfeed that he said had 35% protien. I bought it and when i got home i realized it doesnt have an instructions for feeding paper. All it says on the bag is "masterfeeds 25kg-55lbs product of canada. 15x5x35.5"

Does anyone know anything about this feed? How much to feed and that sort of thing?

Thanks!

You can type it in on google and it should take you a website of the company who makes it and they should have all the information on the website. I just looked it up and found this on their website. I'm not sure exactly which feed it is you are talking about but click on the right one and it will tell you everything about the feed. 

http://www.masterfeeds.com/programs-equine2.html

Yea i tryed that to, but the bag doesnt say a name on it.
default_wacko.png

Is it possibly a ration ballancer ? I looked on that link provided and could not find anything 35% though..

With a protien level that high I can almost gaurantee it is a ration balancer.

See what you can find out, but I wouldn't be alarmed about the protien, a ration balancer is given in a small amount to balance the vitamins, minerals, and protiens in a hay and grass diet. It is not to be fed like a complete feed, you don't feed it to a mini by the pound like a complete feed, it is a much smaller amount like 5-8oz depending on the mini.

Born to win which is now enrich 32 is a ration balancer (love it).

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree sounds like a calf manna type of product in which case the 35% protien is not a problem.

l've used Masterfeed for a number of years and l don't recall ever seeing anything at 35% protien...l got a pellet of the 12% this morning when l went to UFA so decided to ask and was told maybe you got a bag of the 35% cow protien supplement by mistake as there was nothing in the computer for a 35% supplement for horses...l use the 12% for my mares behind the barn 16% for the younger ones. All my bags have tags saying how much to feed and listing ingredients.

Thanks everyone.

I checked my bill. it says horse supplement 30% 25kg.

THere is no lable on it at all saying what is in it (like % protien, fat, etc) Maybe the lable ripped of at the feed store. I think i will go there on monday and ask.

Its a ration balancer... meant to be fed in very small amounts. We feed a small herd of full sized horses 1 cup AM and PM of Purena Nature's Essentials 32 (formally known as Born to Win). Its 32% protien.

Ration balancer.

Don't feed it straight. if you do, sounds like a recipe for laminitis.

If the bag does not have any information on it, I would NOT FEED it no matter what my receipt says.

Clerks make mistakes.............and it would be at your expense. If cattle feed you may NOT want to feed it to your horses, they have ??? I forget the name that will kill a horse.

My thoughts,

Beth

I'm 100% with mizbeth(Beth) on this! With no label, I would NOT open nor feed it to any of my horses. Instead, I'd take the bag and the receipt back to the store, and insist that someone KNOWLEDGABLE about the brand double check what you got. It could VERY well be for some other species, and thus NOT good for horses! The fact that someone works at the feed store doesn't necessarily mean they are truly knowledgable about feed.

Margo

Latest posts

Back