Mass. Horse Abuse Case...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Millstone Farm

Reaction score
this was in Saturday's Milford newspaper.

PETA wants stiff penalty in horse abuse case

By Danielle Williamson / Daily News Staff

Saturday, February 25, 2006

MILFORD -- The world’s largest animal rights organization wants all animals taken away from a local couple accused of starving horses on their farm.

The group has also asked that if convicted, the couple be jailed and prohibited from owning and harboring animals, and undergo thorough psychological evaluations and mandatory counseling.

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals wrote yesterday to Assistant District Attorney Robert Shea, the prosecutor in the case against Jerrold Arnowitz and Maria Kelleghan of Upton.

Arnowitz and Kelleghan were charged with animal cruelty after The Massachusetts Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals issued a complaint against them in June for allegedly neglecting dozens of miniature horses.

"Because repeat crimes are the rule rather than the exception among animal abusers and given the defendants’ apparent prolonged and utter disregard for the lives and suffering of animals in their custody, we implore your office to take every measure necessary to ensure that both are barred from all future contact with animals and to immediately seize the animals who apparently remain in their charge," wrote Stephanie Bell, a cruelty caseworker for PETA.

Worcester County District Attorney John Conte did not comment on PETA’s letter. Arnowitz and Kelleghan are scheduled to appear in Milford District Court Monday.

Their lawyer, Daniel Solomon, said both sides would see if the case could be resolved through pre-trial probation. The agreement would not acknowledge any wrongdoing on Arnowitz and Kelleghan’s part, and the conditions would be "strenuous," Solomon said.

The MSPCA’s law enforcement division observed 27 to 30 skinny horses at the couple’s farm in late April. Tubs had low water levels, preventing many horses from drinking, the MSPCA alleged. Arnowitz and Kelleghan pleaded not guilty to cruelty to animals by custodian on June 27.

Since then, the couple has voluntarily removed the majority of the horses from their farm, either by selling them or placing them in the care of other breeders and owners. Solomon said they still have up to three horses.

"Our hope is, if there is a conviction, the animals will be removed from the defendants’ custody," Bell said.

She said PETA has received phone calls since the case’s inception from people concerned about the horses’ well-being. The case has had a solid following from a group of horse breeders and owners across the region.

Oh my... Part of me says that the more voices in this case the better. Another part of me thinks that no good can come from PETA's involvement.
default_unsure.png
: I think you folks are doing a commendable job without them.

Oh joy. :new_shocked: I will not even offer my opinion on PETA, as I dont think those words are allowed to be published here, LOL I think the local folks there have a handle on the situation. Funny, I dont see PETA getting involved in other abuse cases. Why this one??

I can't answer why PETA's gotten involved in this one -- maybe Cindy has some insight she can share.

I do agree with what's been posted here. It gives me great pause to think PETA is looking at the mini horse industry. (Just think of some of the routine things that are done with our horses and how easily it could be misinterpreted: and not just the neck sweat kind of thing, but driving and a lot of other uses we enjoy with our horses.)

That last I heard there were more than 3 horses still with these people and some were maybe in foal?? Does anyone know if this is true and does anyone know what condition they are in? I have wondered how they are doing in the cold New England winter, especially during that last 'noreaster up there. Is there another court date set or a settlement in sight? I surely hope these people get more than a slap in the wrist!

there are/were still 3horses in the custody of the couple. As it stated in the article, they have a very definite timeframe in which to sell or give away those horses. Trust me -- Cindy and her group are doing everything they can to get those horses off the property and into loving homes. Her efforts had been stymied because the couple didn't want to part with any of them. If there had been a way to remove them way back when this case first came to light, those horses would have been purchased on the spot. The couple refused and went out of their way to block those efforts. Add to that the fact that *someone* tipped off the couple and told them that there were people attempting to rescue the horses -- and if they got calls inquiring about purchasing horses, they should know that Cindy and her group were behind it. That hampered the rescue effort and jeopardized the lives of those horses.

Wow, amazing. Here in AZ you dont have a choice! If the livestock inspectors get involved, they can take your animals on the spot!! There is no hampering efforts or anything else. They will show up with a trailer, or call folks who have signed up to do so, and load up!!

Just to clarify -- PETA isn't "involved" in the Mass. rescue case. They saw an opportunity to get their name out in the newspaper (something they are good at doing!) and took advantage of it. None of the people involved in the rescue solicited their help.

This case has garnered quite a bit of media attention, so PETA took advantage of the situation, called the newspaper to claim involvement, and showed up in court.

That's PETA's involvement.

Back