Marlanoc Foal Thread

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Clawed my way online to squeeze in an update! Thanks for the very kind offer Cassie
default_smile.png

Ashanti same as last night. Rivain was found on the opposite side of the paddock to the others, I risked m y life to handle her udder and found it hard and warm to the touch, I then ducked the incomming hoof and apologised to Rivain. I think we'll be seeing foals soon!

yay so exciting!!! you know you can msg me whenever Bree
default_yes.gif
especially to let me know of your gorgeous new foals!!! hmmm, maybe either Rivain or Ashanti and Fergi will go on the same night!!!
default_biggrin.png

Well the bad news is.... no more udder pics of Rivain.

The good news is ITS A GIRL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
default_new_multi.gif
:HappyBounce
default_new_multi.gif

Longer post to come with more details.

As you all know I was dragged out of the house today and only managed a quick look in at the girls. Rivain looked like she would foal soon and with the storm predicted for this afternoon I was sure it would be tonight.

Turns out she decided to foal while I was gone. I came home to find my mares rather upset as Painted Lady had pinched Rivain's little filly! You can imagine my horror (and panic and how annoyed I was with myself for leaving them) and I was quickly on the phone to my mentors and good friends. They came over straight away and helped me corner the little filly, a hard job since Painty did not want to give her up, and we caught Rivain. Throughout it all Rivain was very locked onto her little girl so we felt hopeful and the filly was going strong despite not being able to feed. She kept trying to feed from Painty.

We took over Pallidon's stable, stripped it out and layered in straw for them and gave them some time to bond. Rivain was desperate to groom her little girl and the foal took to her own mum straight away. First hurdle handled! We guided her to the udder but due to the size difference of Rivain and Paintey she was rather confused. We decided to syringe some milk into her to help. From there we watched as they two bonded and she made a few more attempts on the udder, lots of licking and she knows where the milk is and occasionaly she grabs a nipple but is more interested in playing with the milk then drinking. Second hurdle not completely overcome yet.

Rivain got a pile of hay and a mushy hay cube mix with added vitamins which she was happy to get into. At this point her little filly was having her stressful start catch up to her and needed a sleep, so did Rivain! Another syringe of milk, fed down near her mum's udder, and I went out to finish feeding the other horses.

Painty is having a major sulk but I'm not feeling the sympathetic. Ashanti has a very soft udder so we left the herd as it was but tomorrow she will come out into a seperate paddock along with a reliable, non foal stealing mare so we can avoid this happening again.

Right now I'm giving them some space, the filly is down having a snooze and Rivain is having a standing snooze I'm supposed to give them an hour (20 minutes to go!) and then go out and try to get the foal to feed properly. We also have some concerns about her first poop so I'll be watching for straining. If in any doubt I'll get the vet out.

Now for a blurry pic!

FOAL.jpg

I got a visit from the filly fairy and the buckskin fairy
default_wub.png
:wub No white markings but a nice little face and long legs to die for. I think she'll be a keeper!

Oh MANY CONGRATULATIONS!!
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif

What a cute little poppet and a filly to boot, buckskin too - how great is that!!

Thank goodness you got home when you did - why is it that the first foal born in a season always causes such 'interest and interferance' amongst mares who should know better. No wonder your new little baby needs a little time to rest, Rivain too, she must have been stressed, bless her.

But all is well now, I shouldn't get in a panic to get the little girl to feed, if she has already been licking and playing with Rivain's teats, she will know where to go pretty soon. There is no need for a foal to feed for quite a few hours after birth and I'm sure yours will be fine once she has bonded with her clever Momma.
default_yes.gif

We shall of course require loads more pictures very soon, but thank you for rushing us that first one. Oh this is all so exciting - come on Ashanti we need you to hurry up now!!

Last edited by a moderator:
What wonderful news, she is adorable. What a rough start though
no.gif
lets hope the rest of your foaling season goes a bit smoother. These stealing mares are a nightmare, I have one and she will try for weeks if I don't separate her.

Congratulations
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif

OMG!!!! Bree HOW EXCITING!! I just came on to check everybody n I see the filly pic I am like what the?? so I read it with a big smile on my face!!!! YAY!!!! for you!!

poor mummy n baby!! glad you have got them comfy in a gorgeous clean stable!!!

how exciting she is a filly!!! I am so excited for you!!!
default_aktion033.gif
default_wub.png

more pics are a definate!!!!
default_biggrin.png

STUNNING!! you must be thrilled!! yippee first of our girls to foal!!!
default_laugh.png

Ohh thats fabulous
default_aktion033.gif
:yeah She is the prettiest lil filly i ever did see
default_wub.png
..i was expecting gorgeous but that is rediculously seriously beautiful
default_wub.png
Well Done Rivain..xxx

I'll tell her she's getting a warm welcome from the mini forum!

Must admit I'm a bit freaked out over her at the moment. Ikeep worrying about her getting enough to drink and she seems exhausted. I've seen her stran to poop a few times but she doesn't exactly have much to poop! Trying to stay sane right now
default_wacko.png
:wacko

Got the vet coming around for a late night check up on his way home from another job, maybe I'm being paranoid but due to her rough start I'd rather do everything I can now rather then if she started to crash later on.

Haha
default_laugh.png
we all do it only becuse we care so much..she will be fine shes in good hooves
default_yes.gif
with Rivain..just enjoy but i guess the worrying is all part of being a granny
default_aktion033.gif
:yeah CONGRATULATIONS
default_aktion033.gif
:yeah

Well they've had their vet check. Rivain's in good condition and will rpobably go back to Pallidon in a month for a foal next year. Filly (she has a possible show name but stumped on paddock names for now) is also in good health, very strong even though she had a rough start. She did need an enema to get things moving but with it she let everything out which was a relief. Of course once the vet arrived she started sucking properly! She'll get another check up tomorrow just to make sure she is still on the right track.

I'm feeling much better about everything now and I'm glad I dragged the poor vet out! I can't wait to get new photos of her tomorrow in the proper light
default_biggrin.png
:BigGrin
default_biggrin.png

aktion033.gif
CONGRATULATIONS!
aktion033.gif

She is beautiful!!! Can't wait to see how she grows!!
wub.gif

I'll be registering her as Marlanoc SP And Still I Rise.

Marlanoc is my stud name, SP is for the stallion Sir Pallidon.

The rest I think suits a lot of things, for one I have had a bad few weeks (maybe not the worst in the world but bad for me) so to have my wishlist filly is pretty uplifitng, she has had a rough start and yet she has so much strength in her little body and finally her few-times-great grand sire Buckeroo passed away and she is the first buckskin in her line since him, they are all palominos between them!

So a bit of meaning attached to all of that.

As far as paddock name goes I'm undecided at the moment but it will probably tie into the theme of her show name.

Its hard not to sneak down to watch her sleep!
default_wub.png
:wub

Have had a busy morning and just now had time to check in! What a beauty!!! So excited for you! Congrats!!

She is beautiful! Ok, Rivian, you started the trend, now lets keep it going with Darla, Suzie, Stormy, fergie, and Ashanti...Am I missing anyone?

Congratulations ~~ Absolutely precious baby girl.

As long as you have to be drug screaming away from your place

it's nice to come home to a darling baby girl.

I think sneaking down to watch her sleep is the best antidote

to some bad weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back