Mares Milk

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SILVER

Reaction score
I have a mare that is due soon and have been checking her udder. I tried to milk a bit and was surprised to find what I got. I got a clear solution, BUT in it is an orange/yellow appearance that almost looks like a fine chunky wax. I took a couple pics of it, but pics are not that great. I would be happy to send pics to anyone who could post. I am going to take a sample to vet tomorrow, and or have him come out. In meantime does anyone have any thoughts, or suggestions to what this could be, or is it normal to some????

Last edited by a moderator:
is it really thick and sticky like honey?? Then you know your getting close. Do you have some milk strip tests or ph test strips?

It is not the sticky like honey I am wondering about. It is the almost waxy like coloured chunks. Is this normal? I have never seen this in any of my other mares. No I don't have any test strips. My husband says it has a look of mastitis (sp)

Any thoughts on that kaykay, or anyone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Has your horse foaled yet???

I would try to milk her one more time-- I wonder if you got the wax this first time and it has cleared the way for milk..?

Hard to tell without pictures....

No she hasn't foaled yet. I was wondering more whether the colour was normal more than anything. It has been coming up this colour every time I try to milk her. It just didn't seem right as none of my other mares have been like that. Looks like a waxy material (amber ) floating in what I milk out. I am going to take a sample to my vet and see if what he thinks and have him out if necessary. Thanks so much for input. Any more from anyone would be great.

silver it does sound odd. but if she had mastitis her udder would be very swollen AND VERY HOT to the touch. And she would probably walk a little funny as mastitis is very painful. Good thing to have your vet check it out.

Well, I guess I was concerned for nothing. Vet says she is fine/normal. When checking any of my other mares when they start to bag up they never had milk that looked like that exactly. Coloring similar, but hers just looked odd. Thanks though.

My mare that went so long had at same look and the vet called it someting else but said that it was a stopper or plug. It helps keep infection out of the mare's bag.

It was about a week and a half after that that she foaled.

I'm hoping she will drop "her filly"
smile.gif
real soon Marion, I guess I could wait the week and a half, but why bother eh!!! She is getting pretty hard, but not at the sticky stage yet. Watch and wait, watch and wait. Be nice if she wen in the next 24 hours as I have 4 grandchildren staying over that would be soo amazed at seeing the birth of a miniature horse.

Latest posts

Back