Mares Look Like Imminent Foaling

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DunPainted

Reaction score
In June, we had four mares that looked like they were "with foal", complete with swelling bags, belly's getting wider or even V-Shaped, mushy tail set. Well, one mare foaled and the other three have lost their "full" figure.

One, for sure, went past 12 months, thus it's logical to assume that she's open. She accepted being bred by our primitive dun stallion. What concerns me is that she's so fat.....and I've watched her weight (beet pulp, exercise, etc.)

The other two looked like everything was coming along as expected (purchased them with pasture breeding certificates that could very well allow for them to foal up until mid-September.......but their bellies and bags have stopped developing. In fact, they look trimmer.

Has anyone experienced such a situation? Thanks for any input.

Cindy

A freind of ours this spring had one of her Paso Finos go thru a false Pregnancy. Large belly, soft tail set, started to bag up. Then it all went away. The mare moved about 600 miles at about 3 months preg. Possible she lost fetus during the move.

It would seem extremely rare to have 3 mares do this at same time. Maybe the last 2 are just holding out.

Mark

Don't know if this will help, but mine bagged up and was swollen in front of her bag 3 weeksbefore foaling...the 2nd day after that...it went away...she finally foaled three weeks after that. So maybe that is what you are going through. I sure hope so, I would be sad to think that they could all be open.

I will share my experiences for what they are worth!

I had a mare before that I thought was bred etc but she was not, Her bag got large and very hot but my vet said this often happens with their first heat cycle of the season??

BUT I have 2 mares that were pasture exposed, one is definately bred but I second guess it twice a day!!!! But she is pregnant! The other mare might not be but most of the time I would put my money on it that she is!!!

I think the longer you have to wait and when there is some uncertainty you continually second guess their status!!!

I have now said to myself my mare is due sometime in the next month, we'll see!!!!!!!!

I hope your 2 mares are bred and show some consideration to you and foal soon!!!!!!!

It is awfully frustrating!!!!!!!

I have definately had this exact same thing happen. One mare has done it to me for 3 yrs in a row, every since I've bought her and she's never had a foal. This yr it was Foxy Lady. But she's big enough for my vet to palpate so when I noticed things were no longer proceeding with her, I had her checked, she was open, out into the pasture with you mare, no more hollywood hotel for you! I no longer just assume that because they have a belly and a bag, that I'll get a baby from them. Or I should say I assume it but if it doesn't happen, I'm not in great shock! I hope you get more foals, that would be a bummer to have 3 out of 4 do that.

Latest posts

Back