Mares laying down, having pain when in heat....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lotsofspots

Reaction score
I have a mare that does this occasionally....and I always thought that she was colicking....but she passes normal manure, eats, etc. and seems normal in every other way. I have also noticed that when it is very hot outside and she is in heat, she will do this (are these two factors related?). I have discussed this with a few of my friends and they also have mares that do this. Number one, does anyone here have mares that do this; and, number two, does anyone know why this happens? Thanks for any advice.

Barbara, there was just recently a thread on this very subject. You can probably still find it. To answer your question though, several of us reported mares that acted colicky during their heat cycles.

Rita

Oh, thank you, Rita! I suppose I should have checked the forum FIRST before I posted! I'll do a search....

Barbara

My Friesian does this. Not every cycle, but every so often on her cycle. I hate it, I always worry! The first time she did it, I had the vet out TWICE in one day (one at night as an emergency of course) because I was so worried. Vet didn't find a thing wrong with her, but tubed her anyhow for my peace of mind. Since then, I've just realized it's just Radi. Sigh!

Jessi

Latest posts

Back