Mare's hoof shaped weird??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewToMini's

Reaction score
So, after the farrier came a couple of weeks ago, I noticed my mare's hoof (just one of them) was really crooked (he never said anything to me about it either, but he may have assumed I already knew). I got some pictures today, and wanted your opinions on it.

These pictures are NOT at an angle. Her hoof is just that crooked.

Is it a trimming problem, possibly an old injury, or just her conformation? And will it cause any problems or soundness issues? And is it correctable?

She also doesn't seem to like me cleaning this hoof, she doesn't act bad though (just brings her head around and holds it on my arm, and makes a couple of weak attempts at putting her hoof down), but it doesn't affect her gait (walk, trot, or canter).

Forgot I can't post pictures on the mobile version of the site, so will add photos in comments...

Here's her crooked hoof. Remember, these pictures were not taken at an angle.

IMAG0077.jpg

IMAG0076.jpg

IMAG0075.jpg

Personally, I can't tell a thing from this picture angle, just looks a bit narrow (oblong). Can you get a picture of her standing square on a flat surface (like a sidewalk)? Down at her level, and try to take a picture of her standing on that hoof, get a close up of the shoulder (or hip, depending on leg) down to the hoof, side and front views; so we can see how she stands on it. [And a full body shot from the side.]

Yes--foot flat on the ground please, with photo taken from front and side. Also--pick the hoof up, hold it by the pastern and let the hoof hang down, and take a photo looking straight down the hoof.

It looks like one heel may be longer than the other but cannot say for sure from these photos.

If one heel is longer than the other then that is totally a trimming problem.

In the picture from the front, it's the left hoof (her right). I need to clean her hooves before posting the one with her hoof up.

1432489162734.jpg

1432489229862.jpg

1432489265608.jpg

Here's the one with me holding her hoof and letting it hang. Sorry about my barefootedness... my boots fell apart and I haven't received my new ones yet.

1432489648866.jpg

These new pictures are helpful, but I'm still not very good at seeing stuff like this in pictures. At the very least her heels are long, that hoof looks a little clubby, and I'm going to say it's the trim job. In the straight ahead picture, that leg looks a bit crooked, but I don't know if the trim is causing the issue or the issue is the reason for the trim.

I think it is a bad trim. In the "hanging" photo the foot looks really unbalanced.

Now--both legs look a bit cocked in at the ankles but thst may just be the photo. I cannot tell for certain. The right one is turned out quite badly, and certainly the uneven trim would cause that.

I do think you need a better farrier.

Good for you attending to the hoof needs of your new horse!

First of all, there have been some environmental changes in her life over the last several months, as you can see from the hoof growth. The hoof has so much to say about the horse!

I think her heels are too long, too. Is he a barefoot trimmer, or a farrier who mainly does horses that wear shoes? If he mainly does shoes, his trimming philosophy/style may not suit you. But I would give him another chance. Sometimes we need to work with our farriers.

Farriers are sometimes touchy and don't take criticism well. Explain that you are new to miniatures. Have a diagram of an ideal hoof, and ask him to show you what his goal is with your horse's hooves. Perhaps he does not realize that miniatures may wear their hooves differently than big hroses, since they weigh less? Treat him with respect, listen to his reasons, discern whether he respects you as the horse's owner. There should be mutual respect between owner and farrier.

Farriers do not grow on trees, especially those who will work on miniatures, so I would give him a chance. I've been working with mine for 2 years and I feel we have both learned a lot.

One of my horses has very upright feet. If the heels get too long, the farrier can only take them down a little at a time. I like him to come every 4 weeks, just to keep on top of things.

Also, farriers are not usually concerned with cosmetic stuff, so don't expect a show pedicure.

Communication is important. Neither of you are mind readers, so tell him your concerns. I would call him right now, if you are concerned, and talk to him about it. Some horse owners are not attentive and maybe he will appreciate you being a "squeaky wheel" client.

Also, no horse is perfect. We have to decide what less-than-perfection we can live with. If your mare has a little conformational glitch, it is probably outweighed by her temperament or many other positive things.

Keep us posted!

Was it the last trim that made her foot like that, or did it start before? I've had the horses for a month now, and when I got them I switched to my riding instructor's farrier (my riding instructor has minis, and hers have nice feet). I don't know if he specializes in barefoot trimming, but he does all of my riding instructor's horses are barefoot and they have great feet (why I chose him).

Her heels and frogs were a bit of a disappointment after he trimmed her, I noticed that her heels still looked long, and he didn't trim the frogs any (probably not going to hurt her any, just makes it a bit harder to clean her hooves).

They seemed a little overdue (were starting to flare, and the wall was quite a bit taller than the sole), but the farrier said it was about the right time to trim, when I asked about when he wanted to see them again.

Heels look too long, too much hoof wall in general, cone shaped, contracted heels. Lots of work.

Seems like most minis have bad, misshapen feet....

Ask your farrier how long apart he/she wants to trim them ? My farrier always gives me a date when he wants to trim them again. Some will need "Corrective trimming" others require general trimming.

If you stick to regular trimming you will find a vast improvement. A great farrier will discuss each horses hooves as they are trimming. Any differences between trims should be brought to your attention by the farrier and if there are any issues then talk about resolving them and what the best way would be to do so.

best of Luck, keep us posted
default_smile.png

He wants to see them again in August (12 weeks). I'll probably have him trim them again in July, though; I don't like seeing them get as long as they were before.

I would get her trimmed every 3 - 4 weeks to start. I could take more off right now by the looks of them and in 12 weeks theyd be overgrown.

I have one horse thats an every 3 week -er. He had laminitis in the past though and was out of a crappy situation like your girl was. He's never foundered with me - but id bet he had in the past. He has white feet and they just grow grow grow!

I also had a horse that was a '3 times a year -er.' He had awesome black feet that just kinda wore perfectly!

My new girl seems to be a 5 times a year horse. Striped feet but they wear a little funny, although they dont grow like my others guys.

It might just take time and more trims for her feet to look good.

Mine are trimmed every 8 weeks, but if I see a problem, I will call him to come back sooner. I don't allow my farrier to trim on his schedule....he trims on my horse's schedule (i.e., when they need it).

1. Get a new farrier.

2. She has WAY WAY WAY too much heel and whoever did this did not trim to make her level. This is now forcing her knees to turn, and which if left unfixed, will end up basically crippling her. Your farrier has been trimming in line with her crooked leg, making even worse.

3. Will need to be trimmed every few weeks with moderate adjustments because her bones are now out of wack. Once she is back to normal, watch to see if she maintains at a 2 month schedule or needs to be on a more rigorous schedule.

I suggest calling him back to come right away. Explain that you were not sure what questions to ask before, but now have concerns. If he will not work with you, then find another farrier. Perhaps meet him at your riding instructors place and have an experienced person present. August is waaay too long to wait. It is money in his pocket-he shouldnt care if you want him every week. Unless he was cruel or deliberatly negligent, I would not give up on him after only one trim.

Latest posts

Back