mares fur.hair loosing

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ibquackers20

Reaction score
I noticed that my mare likes to scratch on a tree with bark and some patches of hair is missing almost like peach fuzz and she has some spots on her face as well - could this be due to dry skin - do not see flaking at all just some bald spots almost.

Is there some kind of moisture oil or cream I could use - she does roll as well in the dry dirt. But was wondering if there is something I can rub on her hair and into her skin for moisture that I may have around the house or is there a special cream that I might get from my vet ???
wacko.gif

this happened to my filly and it was a fungus. i bathed her with iodine wash and her hair quit falling out and came quickly back. jennifer
saludando.gif

I also have had this happen to me before on one of my horses and I had the vet come out and he said that it was "hot spots" caused by the heat and makes them lose fur. He gave me some shampoo and some antibiotic cream to put on it for about a week and it went away. Good luck and you should best get your vet out there to check it out before you do anything.

~Katie~

can not take my mare to the vet yet because she has a 2 1/2 week old filly so I called the vet and explained what she has and he figures it is caused by the sun/heat, said it will go away.

I do have a cream called Furacin - horse ointment for cuts - even though it is not a cut can I put some of this on to help her stop rubbing the spots ?

And before anyone says or asks - I do have shade for her , but I can not keep her in it if she wants to graze

Latest posts

Back