Mares and a Gelding???

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beth G

Reaction score
I have 7 mares and was wondering if it would be ok to add a gelding to the herd? Could they get along and would it be safe? Would he want to mount them all the time? I have only had mares and am just not sure if it would be a good idea. Thanks in advance!!

Sorry, I can't give you a better answer than: It Depends...

It depends on the mares, some will flirt horribly with geldings and many geldings will ablige; other mares will just welcome the gelding to the herd, no problem.

It depends on the geldings, some are just one of the herd and blend in, others do try to mount mares. [i've had both kinds. My half-Arab gelding was just part of the herd, and no problem. My husband's saddle gelding is always after my APHA mare (my AQHA gelding is just part of the group, he hangs with his half-sister, or plays with the big gelding). With the minis, one gelding is just part of the herd when he runs iwth the mares; the other was only gelded a year ago, and still somewhat thinks he's a stallion. Both boys share a paddock separate from the mares just to be safe, they get along with each just fine.]

I started with a mini gelding (gelded at 2) and added mares with no problems at all. We now have 2 geldings and both run with mares all the time with no issues. The only problem we have is with the 2 year old gelding playing too rough with the weanling stud colt, soon to be gelded. They are just playing but could still get hurt so we keep them separate and hope gelding the colt will help. The colt is fine with the mares, other foals, and the other gelding!! I think "it depends" is the best answer but it certainly can work just fine. The only "mounting" issue we have had was between 2 MARES and we solved that (for now) by breeding one of them! (And yes, it was a VERY planned breeding, with a much anticipated foal).

Thanks so much for everyone's input! I have 7 mares that range from the age of 1 1/2 to 9 years and was thinking about purchasing one of my girl's full brother, who is just a couple weeks old right now, to team them to drive when they are old enough. It's amazing how much they look alike as foals. He is so pretty, he shouldn't be a boy!! LOL I just wasn't sure of how everyone would get along, he would be gelded as soon as he could be- safely!! =)

What everyone else said.

We have a herd of about 13 mares ranging in age from 22 to 3 and the first gelding we put in there at age 1.5 went on to become the benevolent leader. Figures out who is crabby and needs to play, figures out who is sad and needs a friend, figures out who is being picked on and gets after the bully, figures out who is a big beyoch and needs an occasional spanking. Never seen anything like it.

The next gelding we introduced had been a stud until he was 7 and his integration took awhile. We put him in with the mares about 6 months after the gelding and he didn't last long as he went back to herding them and alienating one or two. We pulled him and put him in a pasture right next to them with one or two mares. Re-integrated him and within 2 days he was doing the studdy thing again. Finally have him to a point where he can be with the mares and the other gelding full time. He still rides them occasionally, which the girls actually like since we don't breed them (LOL) but whenever we add to the herd, we have to watch him because he may revert to old behavior and need time out for a couple of days.

If you have the setup, I would put him with one or two of the mares to begin with so they can buddy up. This seems to work better when putting everyone back together because there isn't necessarily one the rest of them can focus on and beat up......

Go for it IF you have a place where he can be kept by himself (temporarily or permanent) if need be. Here we keep the mares and geldings separate--they are in adjoining paddocks and are okay that way, but if a gelding or two happens to get in with the mares it is a big free for all. Most of the geldings don't mount the mares--the only one here that does is one that was gelded as a 6 year old, about 5 months ago now--he will still mount and "breed" any mare that is in heat.

I know some people that have mares and geldings together, but I know a number of others who say that it's best to have all boys or all girls, not a mixture, because when they have tried it, it didn't work at all for them. For us--it works best to keep them separate.

You may find that your group is fine with a gelding added, or you may find that it just doesn't work--that is why I suggest having a separate place to put the gelding, in case it doesn't work to put him in with the girls.

I have not really had an issue. One boy gelded at two tried to mount for a few months after it was safe to let him in with the girls, but would quickly slide off and go about his day, this subsided by the following spring. My old man gelded last year at 17? Lost all interest in breeding and hangs out with the mini mare I kept ( after I sold off my herd of minis).

It depends on the horse, I would be more inclined to worry about how the mares accept him, rather than his behavior, ESP. If he is gelded young. Heck, I have seen geldings try to mount other geldings just to establish their order ( same with mares too ).

My gelding, Levi, is turned out with his dam and my other mare and it's a non-issue; he has no interest in girls whatsoever. I did see his dam mounting Willow (the other mare) last week, though lol. I weaned Levi at 5 months and he spent 9 months with another colt of the same age (I borrowed a buddy for him). At 12 months, both were gelded. I waited another 6 weeks or so and then his buddy went home and I introduced him back with the girls. All is great
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it depends on the horse. You could have problems introducing a new mare into your heard couldn't you? Well IMO any new horse you bring in has the potential to get along or not get along. I don't think there is any reason not to get the new guy. You'll just have to keep an eye on them for a bit but I don't think a gelding poses more of a problem than a mare. I have never seen my riding gelding try to mount any of the mares in his pasture... My mini gelding tried with my mare for a few months this spring but he was only gelded last fall so... ;)

I was also worried about the mares accepting him, but I guess as MajorClementine said I could have the same problems with a new mare!! I guess I just didn't know if they would know he was a boy and just not accept him- silly I know! And also was just concerned with him being in with so many mares that he would go crazy when they were in heat. Thank you everyone for your advice =)

Latest posts

Back