Mare with small walking issue...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roxy's_mom

Reaction score
Hello all! I have a 9 y/o mare that started walking a little different a couple weeks ago. She got a very mild case of laminitis back in Feb. I caught it early enough to stop any severe damage from being done. My vet put her on LaminaSaver and EquiSaver. She's still currently on the LaminaSaver. We just noticed in the last 2-3 weeks that when she walks her front feet don't hit the ground evenly like they used to. She puts her heel down first then rolls the foot forward onto the toes. She does it with both front and only the front feet. What would have caused her to suddenly start doing this? She does have trouble walking on the frozen ground since her laminitis attack but doesn't appear to have any other problems besides the way she rolls her foot. She goes in and out of the barn as she pleases with the other horses and it doesn't seem to slow her down any. I trim her feet regularly every 6-8 weeks depending on the time of year.

I was asking a good friend of mine what he thought it would cause her to do this, he has drafts and does his own shoeing. He wasn't sure what would have caused it. He thought maybe she has pulled/streched tendons in her front legs from a possible trip/fall but she doesn't have any swelling on either front foot that I have noticed. I try to keep her feet clean thinking it may just be coming from her feet being packed with mud and everything else but she still walks the same even when her feet are clean. I'm going to put her on a little bit of Banamine for the next couple days and see if she gets any better.

Anyone have ideas? Could this have come from the laminitis? I'm just concerned that there's something that I'm missing. When I had my vet out April 1st, for shots and Coggins, I had him check her feet and he said that she had a really good foot on her and that he didn't see any problems.

Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Becky M.

That will be from the laminitis--it's very common for horses to walk that way after they have had laminitis

Back