Mare with retained placenta update....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am so, so sorry to hear the news. Please accept my deepest condolences...

Liz R.

I am so very sorry that this ended this way! My heart is with you....

Margo

I am so sorry to hear that.
default_no.gif

Pam

I am so sorry that this happened I was afraid it might I wish I had given you my vet's number sooner they might have been able to help you do something. I would be after your vets license. Is he an equine vet or does he just see them as another cow? We lost our very first foal almost exactly this way to a vet who sort of said well its only a mini. That is how we found the vet we have now but not before we lost our girl to an impaction colic that had been caused by ulcers that were inappropriately treated. Im so sorry.

Nita

So sad to hear the bad news. Sounds like that vet was negligent with your mare and don't understand how he could let her go with that retained placenta...what a horrible loss. Hugs and hope your heart isn't totally broken. Mary

Well there's more to the story i don't want to get into on here but lets just say i'm VERY VERY angry and dissapointed in the vet.....

I'm sorry to hear of your loss... Hang in there ..Things have got to get better..Dont they?? We are all here to give you a shoulder if you need it... Take care..

I am so very sorry for your loss. Your vet was indeed very nonchalant about a definitely lifethreatening situation and I would be looking for another.

Oh Hillary...I am so sorry to hear this!!
default_no.gif
What a sin, that poor mare had to go through all of this and still lose the battle...wish there was a special word that would make it all better.

{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}
default_sad.png
default_sad.png

OMG, I am SO sorry!
default_sad.png
What a nightmare....

I am so sorry to hear about your loss. I have been thru this situation with the same outcome. My mare Gracie aborted a foal about 6 weeks early 5 years ago in April. She had the foal on a friday and retained her placenta. We had the vet out immediately tried the oxytocin, it didnt work and we ended up taking her in the hospital on saturday where they immediatley started flushing and put her on antibiodics, etc. My vet also would not remove it manually. He said it is something they are taught not to do! I know vets that do it in oklahoma where I am originally from but my vet would not do it. Anyway they worked on her till we took her home on saturday. All blood work was looking good and they thought they had it all out but it had come out in pieces eventually. Anyway we took her home and had to call and take her back in by that evening. She was lethargic and just going down hill. Gracie died on sunday afternoon, my daughters 16th birthday. We were devastated. We still use the same vet but hope the situation never comes up again. He is a good man and we think alot of him. It just goes against what he was taught. I don't knwo why some will manually remove the placentas and some don't.

I had been reading your story the past few days but didnt post as I didnt want to discourage you with my story. I am truly sorry and will keep you in my prayers. Sheila
default_no.gif

well let me just say loosing the mare is hard.. but part of me knew this may happend and was "somewhat" prepaired or as much as you can be when your odds are the way they were..but the way the vet dealt with the crisis today (and i'm not talking about the previous care..this was just today leading up to putting her down..)

i'm VERY VERY angry.. VERY VERY VERY angry.

like i said i don't want to get into it on a public forum but i'm very upset.

I'm so very sorry, both for the loss of your little mare, and for the shabby way your vet treated you--and your poor mare--today. I don't know the details, obviously, but I can probably make a pretty good guess.

{{{hugs}}}

I'd love to say what the vet did... but I'll respect Hillary's wishes.

I'm so sick and tired of vets who ignore you just because they get 10 others who set off the alarms for much less and make it sound much worse. A vet needs to know his human clients. So if someone like Hillary, with 20 years experience, says her mare needs help, they actually listen!!!

I'm angry too.

And I'm very sad.

Latest posts

Back