Mare with EPM --

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marion

Reaction score
I have a mare that has contracted EPM. Right now we are giving her antibotics twice a day. We were going to buy the tube "Marquis" that is made for EPM but you have to buy for a 1000 pound horse and mine only weighs 200 pounds. Is there anyone out there that nows of a vet or has an extra tube of Marquis around. If not we have to give the mare her antibotics for three months instead of the one month. I was hoping to find it so she would not have to limp around for the extra two months.

I'd just bite the bullet and buy the Marquis. It's "the" drug for EPM and is so far superior to any other course of treatment in speed and effectivness.

my vet said if you get a pharmacist or the vet to mix it up it's far cheaper. he said for my horse it would be $150 per month for treatment (big differnce from the Marquis!! and he said it was highly effective too).. from what i understand it depends on the horse but they dotn' recommend it more than 3-4 months. I'd call around to other vets or ask your vet to see if you can get a perscription to have pharmacist mix it up..i believe it's Sulfa and.. ohh shoot i'm drawing a blank.. but they have to work together. From the research i did.. antibiotics alone will NOT take care of EPM.

I wonder if you can call around to different vet hospitals? Maybe someone will have one tube they can sell? OR maybe even call the company. She's NOT the only mini who has or will get EPM, so maybe they need to consider selling the medicine in a mini-pack vs. just a big horse pack?

[SIZE=14pt]I work at a vet clinic and one of the tecs horses got it and she has been using "Rebalance"[/SIZE]

April

There is a horse pharmacy in Florida who mixes it up. Also they put my friends horse on "Adaquin"...sp?

Someone sent me an email last night to a place that sells Marquis by the tube and I will be buying it tomorrow. So far the vet has her on anitbotics and it is not working as well so we are going to buy one tube. They will not sell it without a prescription. So have to wait until the vet is open tomorrow to get the medicine.

Latest posts

Back