Mare with dark brown fluid from teats

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hhpminis

Reaction score
Otis Orchards, Washington (just east of Spokane)
Checked all the mares tonight and groomed them up, checked udders, behinds, etc.

Got Betty in and I have not gotten anything out of her bag before today. One teat gave me very dark yellow, ever so slight sticky, clear non opaque fluid. So being the eternal optimist I of course checked the other side too. To my shock I got a palm full of very dark brown almost old blood looking fluid. She is 320 days.

She has no fever, bag is not large, tight, or hot. No pain or discomfort at all. Of course it was after office hours. Since she is bright eyed, eating, seems fine in every other way I chose to not panic and wait to see what I find tomorrow.

I checked again right before we came in and I still got it but only a little bit.

Her tail is somewhat loose and butt getting a bit soft but vulva is still tight.

She has had foals before, the last being season before last and never any problem before. She is the dominant mare and I have not noticed any evidence of injury from a kick or anything through the winter.

OK, I think I have covered everything. Any idea why this would be?

Annette - it might be blood. I have had one mare that actually gave me a palm full of bright red blood several years ago - pretty much sent me into a panic. From what my vets told me it is not terrible uncommon for mares to break blood vessel in their udder - hence the blood. Obviously you probably shouldn't do too much checking since it will only exasperate the situation, so just watch for all the other signs (Ha - like that will happen LOL! ! - Most of mine just decide that it is convenient for that moment and just drop and start pushing!)

Jane has a mare right now that is expressing blood - so, I guess it happens, but I know it is pretty freaky to see it the first time.

Stac

Thanks Stac, I have to admit, I did panic a bit.

It looks more like old blood than new blood, however, if the fluid is golden, it could make red look brown I guess.

Thank you I will watch close for a few days and let you all know what happens.

Annette,

I haven't personally experienced this, but saw a clyde mare at our vet hospital that was leaking white from one side and brownish/red from the other. I said something to the vet tech and she said it was from broken blood vessels from aggresive nursing of her filly. They didn't seem too concerned.

Hope it clears up soon and you can just worry about the one billion other things there are to worry about with pregnant mares!
default_wink.png

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back