Mare Watch Thread

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But the problem is that she’s kicking at her belly and I don’t want her to kick my hand. So I think building up to longer periods of time will help her become more comfortable with me touching her everywhere.
You rub just out of where she can reach with her hoof and work your way to that area. When your able to rub in that area without her lifting her leg, then tell her, good girl or whatever you call her and rub her neck and head. All horses like praise. Don't get yourself in a position where you will get kicked. Go thru that several times. She will catch on quick. You will want to be able to brush her belly when she starts to shed. Also every inch of her body. PS: her belly does not hurt. If her belly was hurting, she would be laying down and rolling or some time lay upright on her belly and trying to scoot on her belly.

Don't get yourself in a position where you can get kicked, start rubbing above that area and work your way down and back up. Keep at it until she does not lift her leg. then rub her neck and head while telling her good girl or whatever you call her, Then go back and repeat several times the same way. She will catch on quick. You just want to do it every day. She is not kicking because it hurts, If she hurt she would be rolling or laying on her belly and trying to scoot on her belly. You will want to be able to brush her belly when she starts to shed or even before. If she would foal before she shed you might even want to clip her belly and udder.

Sorry! I did not see the above until this was posted. I looked for it earlier after refreshing twice. I see I still had the same thoughts this morning anywho!

Last edited:
You rub just out of where she can reach with her hoof and work your way to that area. When your able to rub in that area without her lifting her leg, then tell her, good girl or whatever you call her and rub her neck and head. All horses like praise. Don't get yourself in a position where you will get kicked. Go thru that several times. She will catch on quick. You will want to be able to brush her belly when she starts to shed. Also every inch of her body. PS: her belly does not hurt. If her belly was hurting, she would be laying down and rolling or some time lay upright on her belly and trying to scoot on her belly.
She lets me rub it, so I could brush it no problem, it’s just when I hold it there to feel for bubba that she’s not a huge fan of. But she’s actually doing much better now, and yes I didn’t think her belly was sore because she wasn’t doing all the things you mentioned :)

That looks like breathing to me but what do I know? I've only seen movement with one and it was definite 'pieces' poking out then disappearing. That said I haven't been able to see anything in any of the videos posted. I so badly want her to be in foal for you!!

You stated that the previous owner witnessed the event. These mini's are quite fertile and any events I witnessed was good as gold. I am sure she is in foal. Continue to enjoy the progress. I love hearing your excitement. You will learn so much with your attention to detail. The real fun in life is in the (details)

That looks like breathing to me but what do I know? I've only seen movement with one and it was definite 'pieces' poking out then disappearing. That said I haven't been able to see anything in any of the videos posted. I so badly want her to be in foal for you!!
It’s also sort of hard to tell over a video, I think where people are seeing movement is where the second clip comes in at about six seconds in. I’m pretty sure she’s in foal lol but I need her to be haha

You stated that the previous owner witnessed the event. These mini's are quite fertile and any events I witnessed was good as gold. I am sure she is in foal. Continue to enjoy the progress. I love hearing your excitement. You will learn so much with your attention to detail. The real fun in life is in the (details)
Yes she definitely saw him breeding her lol, that’s great that they’re fertile haha! Thanks, I’m glad to hear that you enjoy my excitement haha. I do have quite the attention to detail, I’m a perfectionist so super detail oriented lol

I see something that’s possible. Nothing that’s DEFINITE. But as she gets further along it’ll be easier to see. How cold is it there? Is a maternity clip doable? It’d help you see anyway.

I see something that’s possible. Nothing that’s DEFINITE. But as she gets further along it’ll be easier to see. How cold is it there? Is a maternity clip doable? It’d help you see anyway.
It’s not too cold right now but it was at -30 C a couple weeks ago, I may clip her in like March if it’s going to stay warmer and if she hasn’t lost too much hair there yet

Being that she is new to you ,for the next month id be trying to put as much desensitising into her as possible. It will help you when you are trying to get udder pics and feel for serious movement as she gets closer. Start by rubbing her hooves and work up her legs, along her back and then slowly work down the sides, towards the bottom of her belly. You can even try using plastic or a paper bag.

As she's a maiden she's getting to that point where she's realising somethings happening inside her and she's not quite sure what yet, so when she does feel a good kick or significant movement, she she will jump a little or it will look like somethings startled her.

Hopefully its not too long before it starts to warm up for you so you can see whats hiding under all that hair. :)

Here is a quick video of Kacie after I saw a kick. I thought it might happen again. No such luck this time.

Laura&HerMinis, Have you noticed her belly pushing out way more on one side yet? Yesterday afternoon I set in my truck and watched Kacie turn to get a drink of water and her one side came way out. She does not have the real long hair. Her hair is short and thicker which does not hide the movements. I didn't have my phone out and it happens quickly.

Laura&HerMinis, Have you noticed her belly pushing out way more on one side yet? Yesterday afternoon I set in my truck and watched Kacie turn to get a drink of water and her one side came way out. She does not have the real long hair. Her hair is short and thicker which does not hide the movements. I didn't have my phone out and it happens quickly.
I’m going to take some more photos soon and see if I can get her to stand still enough for me to get that lol, I’ll have to tie her up as she’s so in your pocket that she won’t stay still unless I tie her lol

I’m going to take some more photos soon and see if I can get her to stand still enough for me to get that lol, I’ll have to tie her up as she’s so in your pocket that she won’t stay still unless I tie her lol
She needs some patience training as several of mine need. It starts with tying them and rubbing and brushing where they can't move around. Like all training it takes time and be repeated often. I tell my wife if she wants it done just so she can't make changes every time she instructs me.. I don't know which one I am suppose to remember.

Latest posts

Back